Elden Ring: a thread specifically for spoilers

This reminds me, someone asked earlier about what benefits does “invisibility for night sorcery” grant, and as I understand it: invisible/night sorcery spells can’t be input-read, and are therefore undodgeable by AI.

So if you’re firing a glinestone pebble or shard, and the enemy or boss is input-reading and dodging, a night version of that spell will technically do less damage, but is also a guaranteed hit. Hence, you use a regular comet for more damage that can be dodged, or you use a night comet that hits for less but is, at least, a guaranteed hit.

Yes, have options. I have a mace leveled up for those pesky mine and cave enemies. You can use frost effectively with some enemies, or fire, but not on all enemies. Sleep even works with some, probably not bosses though. Poison will work.

But have more than one option.

FWIW, sleep works on the Godskin Duo, LOL.

I forgot that I had seen a YouTuber show that as a strategy to use against them.

What level are you at that you’re doing invasions in Limgrave with? I’m keeping a new character at around level 40 - might be too high for Limgrave but OK for Liurnia. But I haven’t really done any invasions at all yet.

Also - besides invasions do you ever activate that Blue Ring where you get summoned to the person who has been invaded?

I am at lvl 200 in NG+. Almost every invasion is 1v2 or 3. Sometimes you get a 1v1 but of course they want to be invaded. Often it is just fight clubs. I get my ass handed to me a lot by guys with really bad ass skills and weapons, but every now and then I get a win.

Limgrave has just been more active for me than other areas. Right now I have access to everywhere but the Haligtree area.

I have been summoned as a blue. That used to be fun in DS3 but in ER it usually, not always, but it usually means you have been summoned on purpose as a sacrifice.

There are a limited number of walking mausoleums where you can duplicate rememberances, correct? After beating Renalla, as a high Int build, i wanted both the full moon spell and her staff (which I believe is an upgrade over the Meteorite staff I have.) However, I’ve used the Mausoleum in the south already, and I’m concerned that if I use the next one I find on Renalla’s remembrance, I’ll run out of my ability to duplicate these and then want to duplicate something later but not be able to.

So questions are, there are indeed a limited number of those? And who should I reserve them for?

There are seven total, but only five of those (the ones with the bells) can duplicate Rennala’s remembrance. Keep in mind that not every boss will have something you want to use a duplicate for – and many bosses have options that don’t fit the exact same type of build (Rennala being an exception, since both options are for casters). Personally, I’d say to go ahead for Rennala, since it’s likely you’ll use both of those, and you will have plenty of duplications left for later in the game, when you can have all the remembrances and see all the options.

Thanks. I was not aware I could not duplicate at any of them so appreciate the tip.

The ones you find first, Weeping Peninsula and Upper Liurnia, will do the early bosses IIRC. The later ones will do the later bosses.

I found three so far, and only the first one (in Weeping Peninsula) duplicated a remembrance. The other two are not able to duplicate Renalla’s or Radahn’s (didn’t check the ancestral spirit-one, stupidly). No idea when I will finally get to the area where the other mausoleums are…

I’m guessing the other two were the type that do not have bells underneath them? (If you brought them down you cannot tell after.) Were they two very near each other in the eastern side of Liurnia? I believe those are the only two (of 7 total) that do not duplicate the rune-bearer level remembrances. They will duplicate lesser remembrances such as the Ancestral Spirit’s. So never duplicate such remembrances at the major mausoleums.

Damn, I used that one. But perhaps there are more to find?

It was indeed the two mausoleums in Liurnia, close together (in the area with the annoying archers…). I have since explored the Altus plateau and Caelid but found no others. Are the remaining 4 in the end-lvl areas?

Damn, I used that one. But perhaps there are more to find?

It was indeed the two mausoleums in Liurnia, close together (in the area with the annoying archers…). I have since explored the Altus plateau and Caelid but found no others. Are the remaining 4 in the end-lvl areas?

If you’ve found the first one in Weeping Peninsula and those two together in Eastern Liurnia there is definitely one more to find before mid-end level areas. It’s there in Liurnia for whom the bell tolls.

There are two on land and one in the water in eastern upper Liurnia. One in the Mountaintop area and one in the Consecrated Snow area. I can’t remember where the seventh is. But the water one might be the one to do Radahn?

The weeping peninsula one as well.

It is in the Deeproot Depths.

Yes. That is correct, I knew I had seen it.

Working my way up the eastern side of Liurnia, up to the artist’s shack, skipping a lot of exploring (I’ll come back) to get to a Mausoleum to reproduce my Renalla remembrance. On the way I stumbled upon the Church of Vows. There seemed to be not much in it, other than a chest, no seeds or sacred tears. Thinking I may be missing something after doing as much exploring and hitting walls as I could, I looked it up and saw there is a Ball Bearing Boss in this place. I saw a “come back at night” message, tried that numerous times, couldn’t get the boss, finally had to look it up and saw others also could not get him to spawn. The only way that works for me is to sit at the grace point until night, go in and talk to the turtle, go back out, sit at the grace point again until night then when I go in the turtle is gone and the Ball Bearing boss spawns.

After all that he kills me so fast I could barely move. Which means go out to the grace point, rest until night, go back in, talk to the turtle, go back out, rest at the grace point until night, enter back in, fight.

Very frustrating to have to do every time he killed me. Which was a lot. Faster than the process of getting back in to fight him again.

However, I’m starting to see the appeal of a DS game. In previous tries with PS5 Demons Soul, I just got frustrated and bored by getting quickly killed, try again, get killed again, etc. etc. etc. I think the open world (though not really dynamic) world of ER has pulled me in enough that I’m more invested in the game and the occasional get-my-ass-handed-to-me boss is a puzzle I’m interested in figuring out (at least, so far.) In this case, I tried my standard stay back and rock sling and maybe roll in when an opportunity opens up for the Moonveil special attack. But this boss moves so fast across the small space, I barely had time to throw rock sling. And his attacks could take half my health in one shot. I was running trying to get free of that and ranged attacks to get a health potion down. Didn’t come close.

So I tried dual wielding my Moonveil and Meteoric Ore katana for powerstancing. Worked wonders for Renalla! And I could run up to the BBB (Ball Bearing Boss) and hit him hard a few times when he first spawned, maybe for about 1/3 of his health. I could fight and get him to maybe half, over and over and over but could not avoid his attacks.

Hmmm. OK. Tried to hit with Moonveil special when he spawned followed by powerstancing the two blades, got about 1/3 of his health then backed off fast and tried a new spell I had, Star Shower. Cool. Fast to throw, they all seem to seek him out and hit him, it doesn’t knock him down but it does seem to cause him to pause a half second. Not a ton of damage but some and I can cast this fast. So I can get two of these off at a time. Then run, roll, if he does jump on me hope for a quick hit with Moonveil. He still killed me but promising. Next time hit him with Moonveil Special and powerstance attack then back off quickly, switch to Meteorite Staff and focus on nothing but avoiding getting hit and throwing as many Star Showers as possible. Got him down, got hit, two more casts, he’s down! Big “hell yeah.”

So - went from “I’ll never take this guy down” to figuring out an approach that was out of the box for me that worked. Basically the way I progressed with Renalla. I think I get the DS model now - the satisfaction from that is huge.

Good job. That guy is tough. He is actually tougher than the actual boss version you may run into later. Have you fought the guy like that who shows up at the Warmasters Shack? He is actually a slightly easier version.

I haven’t fought another one of these guys. One thing that made it hard for me was the confined space; I’d try to get away from him and end up in a corner or stuck with nowhere to go, and he’d corner me and I’d be dead.

Kind of disappointing that, after all of that, I get the ability to buy meat. That amount of work should get me high end Somber Stones! LOL!