Elden Ring: a thread specifically for spoilers

This is a great video. VaatiVidya is like the Souls lore guy. He has another one dissecting the story trailer that dropped before release. I think both videos are actually great to watch before playing, or maybe 10-20ish into your first playthrough. They are mostly speculative, based entirely on item text available during the first network test. But I suspect the things he speculates on are mostly on target, and he helps put some of the early encounters and characters into context.

I also like this video where he plays through the southern peninsula. It shows how observant he is (and how meticulous From is) about the environmental storytelling.

One realization I had after killing Rennala is that the five or six named characters in the intro cinematic are other allied Tarnished, right? I had assumed they would be adversaries like the four Dark Souls lords, and I suppose they still might be, but I havenā€™t seen much of them yet. I did find one dude with what looks like Goldmaskā€™s mask in Atlus Plateau, staring and pointing at the Erdtree.

Iā€™m excited to see what the lore nerds come up with. Iā€™m actually curious and invested.

I finally killed Radahn

Yeah, this guy is really cool. I watched a bunch of his videos on other souls lore while waiting for elden ring.

I forgot about those guys! Iā€™ve met a few of them at this point.

Congratulations. That fight isā€¦hard.

Will try that.

Found Radahn. Got him to maybe 60% but I think Iā€™ll come back in another couple dozen levels.

So I think Iā€™m currently screwed on losing a pile of runes. I dropped into Dragonbarrow cavern and there is no way to get back out. If I go through the mist I lose to the 2 bosses. You canā€™t port out. You canā€™t climb out. Anything Iā€™m missing or just give up on those runes?

Do you have a Sacrificial Twig to equip? I havenā€™t used one yet, but I think they just let you keep runes on death but break after one use.

I found a merchant who sells them, but I noticed I had one in my inventory. I donā€™t know when I got it. These replace the rings used in the DS games.

I have went heavy into str, or str faith hybrids in past souls games. Was always turned off by mana being a limited resource, were stamina regenerates.

This time around im all in on int, and spells, and it really feels like im cheating everytime I use a summon on a boss, then throw giant blue rocks at them tell they die.
The grace respawn spots are close enough to eachother that the lack of a mana regen doesnt bother me in this game.

Plus I still carry an enchanted claymore, mace for backup.

I never actually made the connection that the sacrificial twig replaces a lack of consumable items to warp back to a bonfire with your runes.

There is an area in the far northwest of the map that looked interesting so I went there, and it turned out to be a group of activatable teleporters, one of which sent me back to the place you start where the Grafted Scion still waits, and the shield he drops is pretty great.

Which one is that? I already beat the guy but if he drops a shield it canā€™t be very good because Iā€™m using a manor shield instead.

The Golden Beast Crest Shield. The Manor towershield does seem slightly better block stats-wise, but it also weighs a lot more and takes 25% more strength to wield, plus the GBCS looks much better, especially with Radahnā€™s armor.

I watched a stream going through Stormveil castle, and he missed a lot of areas, however, he did find the rooftop which I have missed. And it looks like I missed some basement area, too.

Streams tend to bang their head against walls, regarding to bosses. He did kill Godrick solo, but it was a chore to watch. I wish he did the other parts in the castle and the main gate area. After defeating Godrick he left the castle. I wonder if he will come back for the other stuffā€¦

I know by the time I finished Godrick I just wanted to get out of there. I did find some odd stuff, though, like a big face.

Now that I killed Godrick I can finally have a look at that Castleā€¦ I ran all the way through it just to find a site of grace on the inside which I did which was the one before Godrick. I am level 30 and all the trying to kill him solo was a real chore; but then I upgraded my summons (+2), my weapon (+4), enchanted my weapon and he went down very quickly (fourth of fith try with the new setup). Before that the fight took me ages and was just too exhausting and no fun. Damage matters a lot ;-) I have not used the NPCs. But I guess that day might come as well. Glad itā€™s over.

My hardest fights so far were

1. The abonimation in the castle
  2. Tree Sentinel
  3. Lion King

Margit was OK, because I used the wolfpack and a sorcerer NPC summon (Rogier).
I will use anyone and anything for Godrick. Watching boss fights before I played them are no spoiler, thatā€™s part of my preperation ;)

Itā€™s amazing how there are so many boss fights (and since you can be over leveled for them, they sometimes go down very quickly) that itā€™s easy to forget some of them. I cannot recall a single thing about that lion boss.

itā€™s that lion dude behind the main gate of the castle. I call him a mini-boss. He is highly aggressive, super fast and deadly. You need to get rid of all soldiers/crossbow guys before fighting the lion. He will aggro if you go near the churchlike building to the right