Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

ELDEN RING, developed by FromSoftware, Inc. and BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc., is a fantasy action-RPG adventure set within a world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki – creator of the influential DARK SOULS video game series; and George R.R. Martin – author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Danger and discovery lurk around every corner in FromSoftware’s largest game to-date.

Holy shit the rumours were true!

Well, George himself confirmed the rumors (albeit very vaguely) a couple of weeks ago on his blog.

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/20/an-ending/

I’ve consulted on a video game out of Japan.

Huh! Well… curious.

Eternal Ring 2? The people demand Shadow Tower 3! Give the Agetec translation of Shadow Tower Abyss to Devolver!
ahem

Stupidly, I’m incredibly excited about this. The rumour is that it’s more like an open world game than FROM’s previous fantasy adventures.

Well, that sounds ambitious. Hope it’s not a MMO, though.

But really, I’m not sure what Martin’s input is worth in all of this. There’s not much dialogue or intrigue in a Souls game and one of the things that made the games innovative is that you weren’t inundated with plot and cutscenes. Maybe it’s more of a PR thing.

This isn’t a Souls game. From did a lot more story telling with Sekiro.

Exactly. That’s what worries me.

He consults on world building for a lot of projects, presumably that’s what he did here too. I doubt he’s involved in the actually development process.

Has this actually been officially announced, or is it still the rumours just now reaching fever pitch ahead of E3? I couldn’t find anything that appeared official in a cursory Google Search or on Bandai Namco’s web.

Not officially announced. Someone at Bandai Namco accidentally flipped the switch for this game’s page on their website for a few minutes, before someone flipped it back.

My thoughts exactly. FROM’s world building seem antithesis to Martin’s. If Gene Wolfe was still with us he would have been a much, much better fit.

Finally looking forward to playing a game with absurdly lengthy descriptions of food and food preparation mixed with a meticulously detailed travelogue. It’s about time that market was catered to.

Assume you’re joking, but I would be so there for that. Also, isn’t that FFXV?

I’ve actually been slightly tempted by FF XV in the current Xbox sale despite not having played a Final Fantasy in decades. I usually don’t have the patience for JRPGs but something about XV looks appealing.

If FFXV was just this, I’d be all over it too. Unfortunately it has that weird combat system. I just didn’t have any fun with that combat in the demo.

Damn shame it will never be finished.

I’ve been waiting a long time for a good Redwall game, too.

Oh, God, don’t let one of my favorite authors get mixed up with gaming. Ick!