Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

what’s your Strength?

1. Raising it doesn’t seem to raise my damage hardly at all unfortunately.

Currently Level 40 with Vigor 28, Endurance 21, Strength 20. Probably worth mentioning that I’m not particularly good at action games, so I’m sure that’s not helping. But it does seem to take an awful long time to take down the unnamed mini-bosses now. Heck even those white solves take a fair number of smacks before they go down.

sometimes heavily armoured enemies get more damage from blunt weapons. Try putting some fire grease on them as well. It works for @DaveLong

That makes sense. I’ve been using fire grease on and off. One of the problems is I’m bad enough that I die more often than not against the bosses. So I just tried taking on a minor tree boss using fire grease, which I’m sure helps, but I’ve died to him several times already (almost go him the last time) so I chew through supplies pretty quickly when I try to use them in battle. Also tried using them on that tough mage guy, but that didn’t seem to improve my damage against him appreciably.

Wow, so you can’t use your horse when you summon people. I thought I’d try it for once, but that means it’s literally impossible to avoid the spear rain, which almost killed me right then.

I’m glad you posted the soft caps because I was too lazy to look them up and the original recommendations I saw on video were wrong. Even 40-60 vigor is pretty solid, especially with the HP increase talisman +1.

I’m not making an optimal build but the trouble was I kind of ran out of stuff to upgrade without deciding to make a serious investment in another category. This chart shows I still have some room to grow.

Apparently you can block it with a 100% shield. It makes no sense, but you can do it.

Also that fight is the most anti-co-op thing that exists imo. You really need your mount to do it.

It never occurred to me to try blocking it because they come from above.

I was today years old when I learned:

I am slowly getting better at combat (and I mean slowly) but one thing I absolutely mega-suck at is the “run and avoid the death cart/gouts of fire/JMJ farts in a tunnel” dungeon puzzles. I scope out a niche to duck into and run to it, only to find myself facing another whatever coming right at me with nowhere to go. It seems they are built to make you die a hundred times figuring out the path?

Technically, I’m still 1000 posts behind in reading this thread. I wasn’t going to pick this up, having measured my enjoyment with From Software games using DS3, but then someone here used a very intriguing adjective and i decided i had to pick it up.

So far, it’s been pretty good, though i would stop short of ‘fun’. My main issue(PC) is…I’m not sure if it’s a stutter, or a frutter, even…it’s more like a shimmer(shimmie?) that starts as a broad horizontal line typically around my characters feet and over the course of a half second or so of movement will ‘ripple’ upwards, almost like a heat mirage. It’ll end somewhere between my shoulders and way over my head, and then it’ll be gone for a few minutes. I’ve tried different video settings to no avail - is this a fr/stutter, or something else?

edit: holy shit, it was tearing i was seeing. I cannot remember the last time i saw tearing in a game. PC gamer’s fix worked for me! And now I can get back to playing this!

Sorry, first souls game, so confused by that!

I assume the slashes are representing the points of diminshing returns? ie where a single point of given stat starts to have less of an impact per point?

NVM - asked and answered!

First action game I’ve played in awhile where groups of enemies actively try to flank me all the time. Especially those damn shaggy dog things.

I’m level 17, just chilling exploring my 3rd or 4th map fragment. Spent like an hour trying to find a merchant I remembered that had weapons for sale. Wandered all over the map trying to remember where I’d seen it. Turns out it was the twins at the round table :/ Have beaten some caves, catacombs and jails. Game feels a bit grim after HFW, but I’m enjoying it.

Thanks, I’ll try that! (thought about it, but figured there was a reason why both weapons were in different hands (and, to be honest, I had already closed the game in frustration at that point…)).

So much this! My starting Vagabond is now at about lvl 20, and the game is clicking more and more. I’m beating dudes consistently that I could not beat when I started and am definitely beginning to get the hang of mounted combat! Went to beat some miniboss in a boat that way, in one go (!) and was ridiculously proud of that (even though I knew it was an easy boss: not much dodging involved). Then I moved forward to some castle with rats, skeletons and a dude with a kettle on his head and managed to clear that out in one go aswell, blocking and dodging my way through (only to find something I don’t know what to do with…). Both areas are probably very low lvl and easy for experts, but the sense of accomplishment for a newbie like me is enormous and I like that a lot so far!

Just took down 2nd proper boss, that fight was significantly easier than the first. From Software giving me a tiny bit of encouragement after the nastiness of the first castle? I almost did it blind the first time I went in, and low on flasks. I proved I’m a slow learner though, as the 3 deaths I did have all happened to the exact same move that I continued to try to block with my face rather than getting out of the way.

Not entirely certain where I’m supposed to head now (don’t tell me), but I have a couple areas I know I can reach that I haven’t really touched yet and some people I have yet to speak to after that kill.

Oh my god. I love that kind of thing.

On the performance front: it wasn’t necessarily the drivers that fixed my stuttering. It was the clean install re-enabling Gsync which I’d previously disabled because it was causing issues in another game. Gsync + vsync + FPS limiter = silky smooth.

Use the map markers (and not waypoint beacons). The game world is BIG.

The map also has also a grace-point list which you can mark (on/off) and filter.

I don’t have vsync on ingame, maybe I should try. Are you saying this eliminates FPS drops when the game is very clearly loading in new zone assets when you pass the invisible barriers?

I can’t comment on things loading in just yet, but I was having a lot of uneven and rhythmic micro-stuttering regardless of resolution and graphics settings, even in Limgrave. After some Gsync and vsync research on Blur Busters it seems that enabling the two with an FPS limiter is highly recommended:

(That’s an excellent resource by the way!)

It doesn’t mitigate loading stutters, but they are 1% as annoying as the broken FPS limiter.