Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

DS2 does have the worst boss runs. DS2 has several extra red phantoms and even a few bosses have red phantoms in NG+.

Elden Ring is $48 for me at the Humble Store (steam key). It’s not likely to be cheaper than that at launch anywhere I reckon.

So I’m tempted.

Edit: Bought. PC it is I guess. Decision made!

That lore intro is kind of strange because it has what I felt is very anime, which the Dark Souls/Demon Souls intros are not.

Recently, FromSoftware fans were also made aware of a new exploit that could allow hackers to take control of someone’s PC through the Dark Souls games, prompting FromSoftware to temporarily shut down the multiplayer servers for those games on PC. The studio says it’s working to resolve the issue, as it’s believed that this same exploit could affect Elden Ring. As it stands that’s the only possible thing that could impact the game’s launch, and even then just the online aspects.

Sounds like they’re going ahead with it, although it might be wise to not play online in the beginning, which is kind of a bummer! I thought it was a month from today, but only Steam says Feb 24, everywhere else seems to be saying the 25th, and I doubt Steam will get it a day early.

Do we know the day one patch won’t be fixing that issue?

Also, some footage from a recent game show dropped today as well.

Kitao confirmed this during a special Elden Ring broadcast for the Taipei Games Show 2022, which began over the weekend and has now wrapped up. His comments can be heard from the 40:33 mark in the video below. He adds that the team is already working on a day one patch, to iron out any technical issues and ensure the game is up to snuff once it launches.

We don’t know if it will or won’t. From probably don’t know at this point, either.

I would think From or Bandai Namco (whoever controls the games) shutting down the online versions of the Dark Souls games shows how important this is. I have seen quotes from a Blue Sentinels developer (BS is basically a DS approved anti-cheat mod developed by the DS community to stop things DS developers refuse to fix) where they say the code for ER is probably hackable as well. BS has actually been approved for use by From/Bandai Namco.

The DS developers have abandoned the DS games long ago to any patches that would prevent the kind of hacking going on now. I think they chose to ignore it and failed to account for it in ER. Now this guy with the new hack has shown them how wrong they have been. Imagine the shitshow if ER debuted to people hacking on day 1?

One good thing about this (for me anyway) is that if they are using the same programming for ER maybe my PC will be able to play it. Once they patch it of course.

Maybe they should just bring the Blue Sentinels guys on board.

Now I’m regretting pre-ordering on the PC. I should have got it on console!

Stay strong! I’m still gonna get it on PC…

There is a guy who has come out with some YouTube videos on the subject. I have seen 2 from him, the first ends with him saying he wouldn’t touch it for Pc, but after the DS developers acknowledged the problem he said in the second video that he would do PC.

The Blue Sentinel guy did say it shouldn’t be a complicated fix and as long as they acknowledge it exists they should be able to do it by the release date.

There is a lot of cool multiplayer stuff in the souls games. Personally I think it would suck to go without.

We haven’t played this one yet, but in the other Soulsborne games, If you play online, you can read messages left on the ground by other players, watch ghosts of other players fighting enemies, and click on blood stains on the ground which shows you ghosts of how other players died in that area. It adds a lot to the game, even in single player.

We had some real good times doing co-op for bosses in the DS3 thread, too. I probably doubled my play time helping people out with a couple of the bad ones.

One of the biggest differences I noticed is that when I played Bloodborne when I wasn’t subscribing to PS+ and then playing it again when I WAS subscribing to PS+ was just how many secrets and hidden areas I missed the first time around. I don’t even notice but the player messages draw your attention to them.

You can play offline but the game has several features that reward online play, such as messages from other players, and the ability to invade or be invaded.

And you can co-op the game with friends or strangers. I have always enjoyed that aspect.

The hack that has finally resulted in the developers stopping online play is one that would allow an invader to brick or steal info off your computer. Lately hackers have employed hacks to end your game by sending you to NG+ and by making their character unkillable.

I guess I’m just gonna play more Warhammer 3.

I’ll let other people test the waters for me.
Also I’m not sure I can even afford it after paying for a new PC anyway.

I buy these games, play an hour and get frustrated and give up. But I’m sure this time will be different!

62jrrb

We’ll be here if you need help!

The mass fight that starts around 3:15 is hilarious. What is this, 2009 all over again?

Goddamn it From, I’m a huge Souls fan but this is such blatant laziness and asset reuse (along with brain dead AI) the likes of which I cannot remember ever seeing in gaming before. Seriously, Demon’s Souls came out in 2009, Dark Souls in 2011 - and this game shares animations, sounds, even the same goddamn framework for magic, lore, map traversal (apart from ridiculous horse jumping??? here), collectible highlights, etc - so assets that are over 10 years old - what the hell!!!

I mean I’ll probably still play it, but…damn. I’m secretly hoping the game will get panned by critics for this so that From can get with the modern times with the next title.