Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

Yeah, I brought that stream up not to poke fun at Tom (like I said, he has an insane amount of patience, especially when learning a game, and I loved watching it) but to highlight how much of the game’s brilliance is hidden behind intentionally obfuscated systems. I don’t blame someone for losing patience with that – figuring it all out on your own without wikis is a nightmarish exercise in frustration and trial and error. I imagine most players unintentionally make the game harder for themselves without realizing it. If Elden Ring is actually committing to more variety in how you approach the game, I hope they also commit to pulling back the curtain a tiny bit so players can make meaningful decisions about the approaches they want to take.

I do think these games are designed with the idea that the player is supposed to look for help or guidance from other players. So much stuff is hidden from the player.

They are also highly replayable, because of this. Like questlines of NPCs… different builds and so on. And the combat is satisfying all the time.

I think I completed all the NPC questlines in Dark Souls…AKA everyone* becomes hollow/dies. It’s a bit bleak.

*Well not everyone. Patches, who is a jerk. Petrus, who you probably want to kill for being a murderous shitbag, and Ingward the Seal guardian (whom most players are unlikely to talk to again to have him move to Firelink) never do.

Am I the only one who thinks the horse/overland travel stuff looks really silly?

Only when the horse double jumps. ;)

I agree it does look silly. I assume they will still have warping between bonfires so I don’t really get the need for a horse. I wonder if you have to have a horse to get certain places?

Some of the horse combat looks cool though. ;)

Well, CDPR hadn’t done cars until Cyberpunk and… never mind.

Two new videos:

I still can’t get over how jarring the horse is in this game - and why does it have double jump??

edit: more:

it should have been a unicorn, double jump would be more historical correct.

Rainbows also? Or would that be too unrealistic?

you can’t do A without B. Unicorns without rainbows, what is this nonsense? I don’t think From have the rainbow tech, though.

A pegasus, obviously.

Now that would be cool as a late-game upgrade for areas you’ve already discovered.

It’s unicorns that have lost their horns! Problem solved.

Hornless unicorns can’t generate rainbows, sadly.

It sounds like the world is really big - imagine playing Red Dead without a horse, with only fast travel. It would get really boring really quickly. Or best case, it would artificially inflate how long it takes to complete the game, even if walking around the huge landscape wasn’t “boring”.

I’m pleased the horse is a spirit that you can summon and that looks fun to fly around the environment on, personally. It will make it less frustrating to try and get places, as well. The number of times I wanted to get to a compass location in Skyrim but need to walk (slowly) around the base of a mountain to find the path up has put me just over that kind of thing.

Is the mount in Eldin ring a horse? I thought it was some kind of reindeer or something.

Previews and interviews refer to it as a horse. /shrug

I also just learned it can die and will need to be restored at a high cost at the Grace bonfire locations, if you take it into combat and are careless. Good to know.

It’s got horns and it kind of jumps like a ninja reindeer, so that’s what made me think it wasn’t a horse.

Sure, make sense. Honestly I suspect it’s a spirit of some sort.