Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

I am nearing the end of my third play thru. My first was Str/faith, then dex/arcane and now I am doing INT/dex.

Sorcery does trivialize some enemies but the moonveil sword really kick ass.

So I beat that horse riding bastard outside Maliketh’s door on my third try this time. Some sorcery and a poison katana did the trick.

I do really hate that guy.

Was very satisfying to use the melting laser on that dude:

Been out of the game for about 6 weeks due to life, but as an INT build, I really want to get that Comet Azure capability. I suppose to really use it like you see in posts, there are a couple of talismans I need to find?

The main thing you need is the flask element that temporarily gives you infinite FP. After that it’s just a matter of how much damage you get out of it via stats and other gear.

Hmm. Looks like a pretty complicated path to get it.

It’s been a while but I’m pretty sure I got that Tear from just exploring Mt. Gelmir and finding the Erdtree naturally. I don’t recall needing a guide for that.

There are two routes to that Erdtree. I found it by leaving the Castle on my first play thru. That is probably the easier route.

I haven’t really used any of the big spells. Too slow or they just didn’t do much at the time I tried them. I am mostly using Stars of Ruin, the early Rock Throwing spell and the very early Glintstone spell. With enough INT those are all very effective.

I do need to retry those big spells for the last bosses though.

Edit: I think I may be wrong and you can only approach that Erdtree from the one direction.

I got that spell and then stopped my run for good about 20 minutes later.

Don’t have the Stars of Ruin. I use Rock Cling a lot, and the early glinstone spells. There’s a Star spell I use sometimes, but I’ve been away from the game for about 6 weeks and can’t remember it.

I do want the Comet spell and the flask ingredient that lets you max it. Because it looks cool.

The Comet Azur spell can be gained thru a suicide run. The other item requires you kill a few things.

I can now tell you that unless you are fighting an enemy that doesn’t bounce around Comet Azur is not the easiest thing to land for full effect. I am sure it will do damage but against Malenia and the Beast it is hard to land and do real damage. Maybe with another player or tank keeping the boss busy but my mimic wasn’t able to do that.

I have found the Meteorite of Astel spell (and 2x Meteorite Staff) superior to Comet Azur in every way. Especially for gigantic foes.

A buddy who was pure mage with Comet Azur said that the tricky part in general is finding the exact 10-15 second window to use the flask and other boosting spells to activate the melting laser. As @Scuzz noted, I believe he had co-op help to distract Malenia.

I only used Comet Azur for that one fight, but I did use Nebula from Wing of Astel to wreck the final boss in less than a minute.

It did work great against Radagon.

So maybe I carry multiple weapons.

What other boosting stuff can you use? I am new to this mage stuff.

Bit late to this, Im playing ER like half an hr at a time.

It’s perfect for this, as opposed to something like AoW.

And because I hadn’t played in a few months I ditched my Samurai game and started as a Vagabond (?) - who starts with a Halberd.

This is slow and clumsy but hits hard, and the L2 attack reliably knocks people on the ground. It’s quite entertaining.

Anyone used a halberd build?

Some quick googling recommended I get the Halberd from the Tree Knight guy at the start of the game, which is…idealistic.

I agree with you there. I’m not very good with games like this so I tried him once or twice and immediately told myself I’d go back later. But I have seen YouTubers (who are obviously very good) kill the Tree Sentinel quite early in the game, so it’s definitely possible.

I believe the halberd requires 30 strength though, so you wouldn’t be able to use it for a while (even two-handing it you’d need 20 str).

Halberd has been considered an easy mode weapon in past games. It isn’t easy to use in tight quarters though.

Which platform? If xbox I can help.

PC.

@Scuzz I thought magic was easy mode here?