Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

This looks amazing!

It is shockingly well done.

About how far in, would you say, until you feel like it’s really different? I downloaded it and started a new character and rambled around Limgrave a while. And while I picked up a couple of those ‘faint runes’ that have the first new incantations, not much else seemed different. There were more smithing stones around. And the one change I did notice and loved was not having to click “E” to grab crafting items as you go by. But it wasn’t really playing different for me after a couple of hours or so.

Immediately. There is a different starting location for each class. I’m playing classes with spells and the initial spells you get are new/different.

If you are talking about the world feeling different, you’ll notice subtle changes immediately but the big changes are dotted about, so that’s variable.

Once you start taking out Erdtree Sentinels, the world opens up, which can make for some interesting goals.

Not sure what you mean by “playing different”. Mechanics are pretty close to the same. Just tweaked here and there (e.g. Godrick).

once you start tooling around to places that used to require stone keys to get in etc. The crafting system is completely different, you can craft any boost you like, if you have that crafting mat. It really lets you customize your build much sooner. The spell/ability list is also reworked, there are a lot of new spells/arms to use, a lot of new weapons etc.

The basic gameplay isn’t changed, it’s just all the stuff on top of it.

What changed about the smithing and somber stones? I have found two types of each but they are no longer numbered ‘stone 1’ and ‘stone 2’, etc. And I don’t think the progression was 2-4-6 on the regular any longer…

Poor Albinaurics (Club).

People sure liked farming that one grace point.

I farmed the birds, not the Albenaurics.

11.7 million found the Darkmoon greatsword is kind of remarkable.

That is not a straightforward quest and is balls deep into the game.

Only 38 Million re-births? Seems low. How many million copies has the game sold now; 20+ right? Personally I’ve rebirthed 100 times easily.

I was thinking that seemed low too, but I’ve played for over 100 hours (and bought the game on two different platforms), and I haven’t re-birthed even once, so maybe there’s lot of players like me.

In maybe 750 hours I have only re-birthed maybe 5-6 times, and the last three were to test weapons.

Ok I bought this last year but it ran poorly on my old amchine and it runs great on my new one.

I am crap at these games, Dark Souls has me beat but I want to try and progress with ER.

I have just started as a Vanguard, collected my crafting kit and my steed as well as the map fragment and knife.

The question is what and where next?

I usually head east first and go to the 3rd Church of Marika. And if you’re looking to acquire Bloodhound Fang early, you also want to get south of there into the forest and find Blaidd.

You’ll want to have pretty much exhausted Limgrave and then Weeping Peninsula (south of ‘west’ Limgrave) before taking on Stormveil Castle.

Ok thanks for the pointer

You can certainly wander around and explore if that’s your preference, I found that I enjoyed the game much more when I had a better sense of what I should be doing, and where I should be going lol. I watched a bunch of starter guides, and let’s plays, and it helped a lot.

ER is a very obtuse game, and it can be easy to feel pretty aimless, which is a bad combo with getting your ass kicked all the time.

Anything that helps you level up is
A. good and
B. helps you build up a little combat skill.
Just killing stuff as best you can around Gatefront Ruins and using the gracepoint near there as a base is a good start if you suck as bad as I did.

I only very slowly left my little comfort area around Gatefront Ruins, after I had a little confidence and a lot of over-leveling.

Also keep in mind that melee is the hardest way to play generally speaking.

The strongest builds are generally sorcery and/or abusing strong weapon arts.

The South peninsula is a great place to get stronger early on.