Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

It looks a generation behind graphically, but then From games tend that way. Mainly the lighting and material work look old and flat. I mean the PS5 Demon Souls remake looks better.

But the art, creativity, and animation look as solid as ever. Definitely excited!

I mean, yeah, it’s a PS4/XBO game, it’s not next gen. Maybe we’ll get an enhanced edition later next year.

Oh right, since it listed the new consoles and PC I assumed it would be.

That game is such a visual feast for the eyes. Love it so much.

That is a good horse! Trailer makes me sad I don’t jive with hard “git gud” games/bosses

It looks even more like Souls than I thought it would. I’m not thrilled because I’m a little tired of the series, but I’m still there on day one just to see what creative creatures and environments they’ve come up with this time. At this point it’s an institution.

I always hated that type of gameplay. But Demon’s Souls PS5 remake sucked me in with its amazing visuals, sound, and atmosphere and I became a convert.

I’m trying to learn Spelunky now, so if I manage that, maybe there’s hope!

If I get tired of fighting a boss and failing, I summon help. That was always a great experience, you get help for the boss and then after the climax you don’t have to hang around with the guy any more than necessary.

I don’t like the music in Fromsoft games anymore. Demon’s Souls was very distinct. It had this medievil sound almost. Then they went bombastic, generic orchestral sound more or less. Firelinks/Hunters Dream music pieces were always good, though.

If this is coming out for PC, I’m going to cheat my way through it with a trainer.

Hehe.

Hey it’s what I did with Sekiro.

For once I will be there day one.

Edit: this comment on the RPS story made me chuckle.

“No, you see ‘Tarnished’ is completely different from ‘Hollow,’ because when the Antioulus suliaiated the Pariuasis of the Llare Turism then all of the Centaeacele had their persaaela unformidited by the Dohiiupus Liviole Quesairum Quuoina…”

Everybody else seems kind of disappointed that this looks like Souls IV, and I’m just here kind of excited because this looks like Souls IV.

Souls IV? What’s that?

It looks like Dark Souls 4.

But this strikes me as just a Demon’s Souls to Dark Souls like-transition. New IP / spiritual sequel AKA The Next Iteration.

Yeah, I just think people expected less of a souls look/feel, but I’m totally down. I think this looks great. I was very leery about Martin’s involvement, but my fears are allayed (for now).

I’m happy enough with a souls look/feel, but was hoping for something a bit fresh mechanics-wise. Like maybe something a bit different from the save points that respawn enemies, and the fight to get your currency back after death - assuming this game does those, do we know for sure?

As much as I love that stuff I’d like to see From try something really new.

To be fair, it probably would be Dark Souls 4 if Namco Bandai had their way. So, this strikes me as a kind of a compromise in a way. Namco get a sort of Souls-like from From Software whilst Miyazaki and co get to do something fresh that isn’t creatively burdened by being tied to the Dark Souls series.

I just watched the trailer, and while this looks to have Souls-style combat, there were a few notable differences. It looks much less linear corridors, more open-world, especially with having a horse to get around. Speaking of, mounted combat.

I’m not sure why this is called Elden Ring and not Dark Souls 4, really.