Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

Yeah, I think he was in Shutter Island.

As for ESV… meh, kind of want.

YEAA! YEAAAA!! YEEEEA!!!

Bethesda’s Todd Howard introduced the game with a brief teaser showing a stone dragon and a dramatic narration that sets up the story of the next big role-playing game in the Elder Scrolls series.

Wow this is very surprising. Not that they would make another TES game but that this one will have a story.

Seriously, unless they dump that piece of shit engine they’re using and/or hire the nehrim guys to direct the project, i’m out. I’m not going to spend $60 on a game that will likely be worse than a free expansion to their previous game.

Yeah, they better ditch Gamebryo. Snowy terrain = literally blinding hdr/bloom incandescence. I was just… zonked by this in Oblivion, and to my disgust it still pops up in New Vegas.

I cannot wait (my backlog says I can) for this but I’m hoping for a new, better, engine as well.

Im a sucker for Bethesda’s games, so I will be there on release day. But I hope the focus is on a smaller, more detailed area rather than the monsterous expanses of the previous game. Add in a more interesting combat system and I would be in heaven.

Arg no. I don’t want Mass Effect: Oblivion. Bioware has the tight linear story thing locked down. Let’s keep Bethesda doing near complete open worlds.

who made the rule that an open world has to be lifeless and empty?

The people of the Akavir are dragon people right? A game set in Akavir would be awesome, maybe one set during the time of the failed Imperial assault where they gained a bunch of ground but were eventually pushed back.

You like to dance close to the fire don’t you!

Don’t you love Mass Effect threads?

I have a feeling you and I are about to become very close

Wow, I hope you got an A in your Tamriel history class. Seriously though, thanks for this.

I’m pretty stoked about this news. I’ve invested hundreds of hours in these games and I hope this one will bring more. I also have a desire to see more and varied voice work.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Take it, Bethesda! You bitch!

Great!

I liked Oblivion and Fallout 3, so I will probably like this.

My one complaint is that Skyrim will probably not be easy to look at. Unless they have a plot device melt the snow or something. Maybe it’s not always snowy in Skyrim? Snowfields all over the place will be too bright.

So it’s to be another ancient evil threatening the good folk of Tamriel? Meh, a small part of me was kinda hoping they’d go back to the political/religious intrigues and cultural conflicts of Morrowind and Daggerfall. Imo it was that sorta stuff that really separated the Elder Scrolls setting from all the other generic Tolkienesque CRPG worlds.

Neither. I believe they’ve said in interviews that they have moved on from Gamebryo, and have rolled their own engine to meet the needs of their game. After Zenimax bought iD and they announced iD wouldn’t license iD Tech 5 and it would only be used for Zenimax games, they asked Todd Howard about that, and if memory serves he said it all happened too late. Apparently IT5 would require fairly substantial stuff to do their open-world game properly, with all the day/night cycle changes and weather and whatever.

Seriously? Dagoth Ur was an ancient Chimer who was using the heart of Lorkhan to construct a demi-god with the intention of conquering all of Tamriel and infecting everyone with the corpus disease, either killing everyone or turning them into his foot soldiers. Sure you had to go do some stuff for some politicians to gain acceptance as the Nereverine but if you actually finished the story and paid attention it was pretty obvious you were saving the world from an ancient evil.

It’s so hard to choose. Should I communicate my joy at this announcement? Or should I make a snarky comment at Bethesda’s expense to show how discriminating I am?

Eh, I’ll go with joy: Squeeeeeeee!