Eldritch Horror play by forum

Since my Kemet play by forum game is winding down (fingers crossed - we’ve had people reach and get knocked out of victory at least three times this turn already but I can’t see a scenario where we make it to a new turn at this point), I’d like to start up one of Eldritch Horror.

Here’s what I’m thinking:
Between 3 and 5 players (6 if we really want to push it, 4 tends to be the sweet spot).
All expansions
Random Ancient One
Random character assignment
Preludes
Sideboards only if randomly selected Ancient One and/or Prelude dictate
Early Mythos cards selected from the easy ones, mid-game normal, late game half normal half hard.

I’ll use Tabletop Simulator to curate the game, with map shots every full turn, etc. Players roll for their actions during the action phase, using their linkable online roller of choice (and preferably specify any decisions they can anticipate for the encounter/mythos phase at that time), but in the interests of saving time, I’ll roll and report for encounter and Mythos phases. If you have rerolls available and you fail I’ll ask if you want to use them.

Please post if you’re interested, and/or if you have questions.
Rules can be found here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/eldritch-horror/
A cleaned up and easier to use reference can be found here: https://www.orderofgamers.com/games/eldritch-horror/
I was going to warn that it wasn’t updated to the latest expansion but turns out it was! Last week!

I’d be in for this.

I’m down for it.

In pls.

Ok, that’s our minimum. I’ll leave signups open for another day or so in case we have more takers and then I will generate the opening setup.

I am not up for playing, but I am excited to follow this!

Seconded! (Lantz and I are both almost finished with the Kemet game and I’ll be following this thread just so I can learn to play EH better)

Good one. :)

I was interested until I saw “all expansions.” Ugh. Also, I am in the Twilight Struggle tournament and do not have a ton of time.

Good luck, I will watch from the shadows, but I wish you luck on your own.

Unlike Arkham, keeping the expansions in really does only two things: add variety, and make the asset/unique asset/condition/spell decks unwieldy as fuck. And the latter isn’t an issue in Tabletop Simulator since you can reshuffle any deck at the tap of a button. So I don’t know why that would be a turnoff.

Looking forward to reading this, and thank you Malkav for hosting it!

I’ve reconsidered @malkav11. 4 would be the sweet spot, so if you don’t get anyone else interested I will play. If you do get another person, I will bow out as I’ve just about finished the other forum game you’re running.

Can you explain how this would work, for a noob? Do I need to own a copy of a book or board game or whatever this is in order to play?

Nope. Just check out the rulebook(s)/summaries linked in the opening post. I’ll be handling most of the heavy lifting.

All right, looks like you’ve got your players so maybe I’ll just follow along for this one.

Hm, I think I am set with No Jump Preps: The Forum Game, but I am also interested in seeing how this works out.

Ok, since we have four people and the general sentiment from everyone else seems to be that they’d rather spectate (at least this time around), and I’m already in Tabletop Sim, I’m just going to go ahead and get the initial setup going. If we do get another taker before things kick off proper we can always tweak things a little.

Oookay. So, here goes:
Prelude:

Plus side: y’all get a Glamour spell each.
Minus side, you get an 8 health epic monster on the board turn 1.

Ancient One:

Base game, but hey.
Starting Mystery:
Starting%20Mystery
Both clues started on Wilderness spaces, so they did not move.

Starting game board (yes, both the starting gate and starting expedition are in Tokyo, go figure):

Closer in shot of the asset reserve:

I’m going with an action order based on signups, i.e. triggercut, charmtrap, Brooski, and then finally ironwulf.
@triggercut, you get

@charmtrap, you get

Also, Pete starts with 1 Clue. The Personal Story card has the following Clue tokens: Buenos Aires, Rome, Space 10.

@Brooski, you get

@ironwulf, you get

Also, Sefina starts with 1 Clue.

Y’all are meant to decide between you who is Lead Investigator, and then turn order will follow down the list and wrap back around to the top. You each get two actions (you cannot repeat the same action on the same turn), and then you’ll have an encounter wherever you are, then we’ll do Mythos, and everything will get worse!

Keeping a text based status for characters here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wvWdknRhHlEM2wpPa1EwfkMCP_l6bzDMveCANMQrsZM/edit?usp=sharing
Should be easier to check than pictures, but I wanted to lead off with the proper look of the game.

One other thing you might need to know to plan starting actions - monster stats:
Werewolf: Toughness 2. Horror check = Will; damage 1. Combat check = Str; damage 2.
Physical Resistance (you can’t apply dice bonuses except from Magical possessions and Spells)
Reckoning: Move this monster one space towards the nearest investigator. Then each investigator on this space loses 1 Health.

Dunwich Horror: Toughness 8. Horror check = Will -1; damage 3. Combat check = Str -2; damage 3.
Reckoning: Roll 1 die. If the result is less than or equal to 4 (number of investigators), spawn 1 Gate.