Eldritch Horror play by forum

Sorry for the interruption. I have been reading along but get lost in some of the details. Are you winning? Losing? Is it close? It’s hard to see the narrative woods through all of the rules trees.

At this point it’s impossible to tell. They’ve achieved one of the three things they need to do to win, and are a little under halfway through their hard time limit and 1/3rd or so through the soft time limit (Doom). But a lot will depend on how much their characters get improved versus how hard the game hits back.

My experience with all the Arkham games is that everything can pretty much fall to shit at the flip of any card. Which is fair enough, I guess, since we’re dealing with Great Old Ones and their minions.

That said, we’re doing OK so far, I think. There are a lot of monsters and open gates that are making me very nervous for the next reckoning.

Sefina Rousseau (action phase)
Personal Story completed. The Painted World Reward gained:
The Painted World (Reward): When you gain this card, improve Lore and Will. Action: Reveal the top Gate of the Gate stack. Discard that Gate or perform an additional action.

Encounter%20Phase

Agnes Baker
Lost in Time and Space

Observation is 2 -1 for test. 1 die test, blessed. 1
Gate spawns in Shanghai (Red). Lloigor spawns from that gate.
Lloigor (Shanghai). Toughness 4. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -2. Dam 3.
Reckoning: Each Investigator on this space or an adjacent space loses 1 Health and 1 Sanity.
Monster Surge on Shanghai:
Cultist spawns at Shanghai. Cultist spawns at Shanghai.
Cultist (Shanghai): Toughness 1. Horror: None. Combat: Str -1. Dam 1.
Reckoning: Spawn 1 Goat Spawn Monster or 1 Dark Young Monster on this space. Then, if you spawned a Monster, discard this Cultist.
Cultist (Shanghai): Toughness 1. Horror: None. Combat: Str -1. Dam 1.
Reckoning: Spawn 1 Goat Spawn Monster or 1 Dark Young Monster on this space. Then, if you spawned a Monster, discard this Cultist.
Agnes Baker appears in Shanghai and is Delayed. (No actions next Action Phase.) Lost in Time and Space discarded.

Sefina Rousseau
San Francisco Encounter (City)

Lore is 5 -1. 4 die test. 6, 6, 1, 1

@ironwulf, which skill would you like to improve?

Carolyn Fern
Rome Encounter (City)

Four of Cups (Unique Asset) - Trinket - Tarot. When you gain this card, improve Will. Whenever you roll a 1 during a Will test as part of a Combat Encounter, you may reroll that die.
@triggercut, lose 2 Health or take an Injury?

Ashcan Pete
Research Encounter (Wilderness)

Lore is 3 -1 for test. Activating Practiced for +1 die and reroll. 3 die test. 5, 5, 2
Clue gained.

Pending:
@ironwulf’s decision on skill improvement.
@triggercut’s decision on form of pain. (And also end of last Mythos decision about Tempted by Darkness - Eldritch token or flip at Health/Sanity cost?)

I ill improve Influence

I’ll keep Tempted by Darkness un-flipped one more turn.

I think I’m at 4 health, and losing 2 will be bad. But…injuries can be worse in the long run.

In any event, I think this forces me into a rest next turn no matter what. I’ll pray to survive the Mythos Phase and take the 2 wounds and not the injury.

They’ve got 5 gates open, 9 monsters on the board I would say it doesn’t look good. If I were going to bet on the outcome I would bet them losing in 3 mythos phases.

Not the players’ fault btw, Eldritch Horror is a tough game.

6 gates and 12 monsters going into Mythos, actually. That was a real bad draw on the whole Lost in Time and Space thing.

Mythos%20Phase

Advance Omen
Omen moves to Red.
3 Red Gates. (Shanghai, Himalayas, Hyperborea)
Doom advances to 6

Reckoning

Monsters

Cultist transforms into a Goat Spawn.
Goat-spawn (Shanghai): Toughness 2. Horror: Will. Dam 1. Combat: Str -2. Dam 2.
If you defeat this monster during a Combat Encounter, you may take a Dark Pact Condition to discard 1 monster from any space.
Cultist transforms into a Goat Spawn.
If you defeat this monster during a Combat Encounter, you may take a Dark Pact Condition to discard 1 monster from any space.
Cultist transforms into a Dark Young.
Dark Young (Space 13): Toughness 5. Horror: Will -1. Dam 3. Combat: Str -3. Dam 3.
Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, advance Doom by 1.
Spawned this Reckoning so won’t proc its Reckoning effect til next time.
Ghoul Priest processes Cultist Reckoning but there are no Goat Spawns or Dark Young left. Ghoul Priest remains.
Honored Dead: On a 1 or 2, nearest Investigator gains Cursed condition. 4
Dunwich Horror: On a 1-4, spawn a Gate. 2
Gate spawns in Sydney (Red). Cultist spawns from gate.

Ancient One

Dimensional Shambler spawns on Space 20.
Dimensional Shambler (Space 20): Toughness 2. Horror: Will -1. Dam 2. Combat: Obs -1. Dam 0.
If you fail the Observation check, gain a Lost in Time and Space Condition.
Total number of Monsters = 14. Doom advances to 4

Investigator Possessions/Conditions:

Carolyn Fern

Markings of Isis: Lore test. Lore is 2 +1. 3 die test. 4, 3, 1 Markings reroll 1
0 successes: Spend Focus or discard card. No Focus available. Markings discarded.

Corruption: 3 counts of discard 1 possession or lose 1 each Health and Sanity, or take a Dark Pact and clear the lot. Up to you @triggercut

Ashcan Pete

Mind’s Eye: Lore test. Lore is 3. 5, 4 1 Sweet Dreams reroll 6, 5, 5
Talent gained.
Elusive (Condition) - Talent. During the Encounter Phase, you may test Observation. If you pass, you may choose an Encounter as though there were no Monsters on your space. Then flip this card.

Mysterious Idol: Lore test. Lore is 3. 6, 5, 2
Which monster should lose 1 Health, @chamtrap?

Corruption: Take a Dark Pact or discard 1 Clue?

Agnes Baker

Alter Fate: Lore test. Lore is 4. 4 die test, blessed. 6, 3, 3, 3
1 success: Lose 1 Sanity.

Agreement: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, the time has come to pay your dues. 3
Dark Pact: Roll 1 die. On a 1, it is time to fulfill your part of the bargain. 3
Blessing: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, discard this card. 4

Sefina Rousseau

Shroud of Shadows: Lore -1. Lore is 5 -1. 4 die test. 6, 6, 4, 3
2 successes: Lose 1 Sanity.

Perplexing Idol: Red. One Monster of your choice on any space loses 2 Health. Which, @ironwulf?

Paranoia: Test Will. Will is 5. 6, 6, 5, 5, 3 Does not flip.
Amnesia. Test Will. Will is 5. 6, 6, 5, 4, 2 Does not flip.
Sadly both Lore and Will are max-improved so no buying improvements to either.

Spawn Gate
Gate spawns in London (Blue). Cultist spawns from Gate.

Resolve Effect

Each Investigator may discard any number of Improvement tokens, then each investigator loses 1 Health or 1 Sanity for each improvement token they have.
This only affects @brooski and @ironwulf.

Pending:
@triggercut’s decision on Corruption (and Tempted by Darkness subsequently)
@charmtrap’s decision on what to target with the Idol
@brooski’s decision on whether to ditch the improvement and what damage if kept
@ironwulf’s decision on what to target with Idol and ditching improvements/taking damage.

I suspect y’all are screwed.

I suspect you’re right, but if we can get some gates sealed quickly maybe we’ll have a small shot.

Put the damage on the new cultist in London, and I’ll go ahead and take the Dark Pact.

Just when I thought my character had gotten useful…
I discard all but 1 Lore and 1 Will improvement.
Take 1 health and 1 sanity loss
Let’s put the 2 damage on one of the Goat-Spawn in Shanghai…

I’ll take the Dark Pact. Woohoo.

@brooski I know we haven’t had much for you to weigh in on in a bit but I do need your decision on the aftermath of this Mythos phase and that’s what we are waiting on. FYI.

Sorry, what am I deciding?

Whether to discard your Strength improvement, and if you decide not to, whether to lose 1 Health or 1 Sanity.

Lose 1 San

Game State End of Turn 7

Gates:
Green: Tunguska
Blue: Tokyo, Antarctica, London
Red: The Himalayas, Hyperborea (Space 13), Sydney, Shanghai

Monsters:
Dunwich Horror (Arkham): Toughness 8. Horror check = Will -1; damage 3. Combat check = Str -2; damage 3.
Reckoning: Roll 1 die. If the result is less than or equal to 4 (number of investigators), spawn 1 Gate.
Cthonian (Heart of Africa): Toughness 4. Horror: Will -1. Dam 2. Combat: Str -2. Dam 3.
When this Monster is spawned, move it to the Heart of Africa.
Young Cthonian (Heart of Africa): Toughness 3. Horror: Will -1. 2 dam. Combat: Str -1. 2 dam.
When this Monster is spawned, each investigator on this space or an adjacent space loses 1 Health and 1 Sanity.
Honored Dead (The Pyramids): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 3.
When this Monster spawns, move it to the Pyramids.
Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, the nearest investigator gains a Cursed Condition.
Leng Spider (Tokyo): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 2.
If you fail the Will test, do not resolve the Strength test and you do not resolve any other encounters this turn.
Riot (Tunguska): Toughness 3. Horror: None. Combat: Strength -3. 3 dam.
Before resolving the Strength test, you may attempt to disperse the mob. Test Influence -1. If you succeed, defeat this Monster.
Leng Spider (Tunguska): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 2.
If you fail the Will test, do not resolve the Strength test and you do not resolve any other encounters this turn.
Byakhee (Antarctica). Toughness 2. Horror: Will. Dam 1. Combat: Str. Dam 2.
If you defeat this monster during a Combat Encounter, you may lose 1 Sanity and move 3 spaces instead of resolving another encounter.
Ghoul Priest (space 7): Toughness 2. Horror: Will. Dam 1. Combat: Str. Dam 2.
If you lose Health from the Strength test, gain a Paranoia condition. Reckoning: Resolve the Reckoning effect of the Cultist monster on the Ancient One sheet.
Lloigor (Shanghai). Toughness 4. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -2. Dam 3.
Reckoning: Each Investigator on this space or an adjacent space loses 1 Health and 1 Sanity.
Dark Young (Space 13): Toughness 5. Horror: Will -1. Dam 3. Combat: Str -3. Dam 3.
Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, advance Doom by 1.
Dimensional Shambler (Space 20): Toughness 2. Horror: Will -1. Dam 2. Combat: Obs -1. Dam 0.
If you fail the Observation check, gain a Lost in Time and Space Condition.

Mythos Cards (Ongoing/Rumor):
None currently.

Doom: 4
Omen: Red
Active Mystery:
Second%20Mystery

Investigators: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wvWdknRhHlEM2wpPa1EwfkMCP_l6bzDMveCANMQrsZM/edit
(Should be up to date as of this post, let me know if not.)

Asset Reserve:
[3] Silver Twilight Ritual (Asset) - Service: When you gain this card, immediately retreat Doom by 1. Then discard this card.
[3] Occult Scripture (Asset) - Item - Tome. When you gain this card from the deck or the reserve, gain 2 Clues. Whenever you gain a Clue during a Research Encounter, spawn 1 Clue.
[3] Enchanted Jewelry (Asset) - Item - Magical Relic: If you would lose Sanity, you may spend 1 Focus to prevent the loss of up to 2 sanity.
[1] Bandages (Asset) - Item: You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Health.

Action%20Phase
@ironwulf, you are Lead Investigator

On my investigator sheet it looks like you have me missing 1 Focus/1 Clue
Last turn I spent an improvement token to gain 1 Focus/Clue/Resource, then used both of my resources during rest action.

So here goes:
First Action: Travel to Tokyo
Second Action: Use my Storm of Spirits (Spell)
Roll Lore -1 4,3,3 http://orokos.com/roll/627102
Use 1 Focus to re-roll: 1 http://orokos.com/roll/627106
That’s absolute crap…think from now on I’ll just let @malkav11 make my rolls for me :P

@triggercut

You spent 2 Focus (after your free Focus from the Memento) and a Clue on rerolls in the previous Encounter phase, so you should be at 1 Focus and I believe 1 Clue, which is reflected on your sheet.