Eldritch Horror play by forum

Yes, expensive but the alternate was worse.
I will improve Will

Gain a Madness condition

Sefina’s Will improves.
Agnes gains a Madness:
Hallucinations (Condition) - Madness: When you perform a Rest action, roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6 you may discard this card. Reckoning: Test Will. If you fail, flip this card.

Mythos%20Phase

Advance Omen
Omen advances to Right Blue.
1 Blue gate: Tokyo.
Doom advances to 9

Reckoning
Here we go…

Monsters

Honored Dead: On a 1 or 2, nearest Investigator is Cursed: 5
Dunwich Horror: On a 1-4, Gate spawns. 1
Gate spawns in Antarctica (Blue). Byakhee spawns out of gate.
Byakhee (Antarctica). Toughness 2. Horror: Will. Dam 1. Combat: Str. Dam 2.
If you defeat this monster during a Combat Encounter, you may lose 1 Sanity and move 3 spaces instead of resolving another encounter.
Werewolf: Moves to Shanghai. Ashcan Pete loses 1 Health.

Ancient One

Ghoul Priest spawned on space 7. Total monsters = 9, no extra Doom.
Ghoul Priest (space 7): Toughness 2. Horror: Will. Dam 1. Combat: Str. Dam 2.
If you lose Health from the Strength test, gain a Paranoia condition. Reckoning: Resolve the Reckoning effect of the Cultist monster on the Ancient One sheet.

Investigator Possessions and Conditions
Carolyn Fern

Carolyn Fern
Forced Learning: Test Lore and flip. Lore is 2 +1. 3 die test. 4, 3, 1

Forced Learning (Reverse Side)
0-1 Successes: Something in the magic is strange, and you fear you have forgotten important information. Discard this card or gain an Amnesia condition.
2+ Successes: The magic requires a portion of your spirit to remain. Lose 1 Sanity.
Then flip this card.

@triggercut Amnesia or discard? Or burn rerolls on a vain attempt to shoot for mere sanity loss, I guess, but why bother, especially with your special abilities?

Markings of Isis: Test Lore -1 and flip. Lore is 2 +1 -1. 2 die test. 2, 2 Markings reroll 4
0 successes: discard card or spend 1 Focus.
Focus or discard? You could reroll and try for 1 success (spend Focus or lose Sanity) or 2 (get a Focus) but it seems chancy.

Corruption: Gain 1 Eldritch token, then flip this card.

Corruption (Reverse Side)
You may gain a Dark Pact Condition to discard all your Eldritch tokens.
You seem to have aged a year in the last day, your body and soul both dimmed by some unnatural transformation.
For each Eldritch token you have, lose 1 Health and 1 Sanity unless you discard 1 possession.
Then flip this card.

Dark Pact? If not, 2 health and sanity, 2 possessions, or half and half?
Also, these could have been done in any order - I did it this way to preserve the Markings bonus for the Forced Learning test in case you choose to dump it, but if you’d like a different order let me know.

Ashcan Pete

Ashcan Pete
These could fire in any order.
Corruption: Gain 1 Eldritch token, then flip this card.

Corruption (Reverse Side)
You may gain a Dark Pact Condition to discard all your Eldritch tokens.
A constant fog permeates your thoughts.
Resolve each effect that applies based on your number of Eldritch tokens.
1+: For each Eldritch token you have, discard 1 Clue, 1 Focus or 1 Resource.
3+: Discard 1 Talent Condition or Improvement.
5+: Gain 1 Bane Condition.
Then flip this card.

Dark Pact? If not, discard Clue or discard Focus?

Mysterious Idol: The idol reveals its true purpose to you. Flip this card.

Mysterious Idol (Reverse Side)
The idol shivers at the feral howls of beasts in the night. It beckons you and you can hear its words in your mind. You repeat the words to the best of your ability. Test Lore.
If you pass, the words leave your lips as a wisp of glowing energy that slithers off into the night sky to silence the beast; 1 Monster of your choice on any space loses 1 Health.
Then flip this card.

Lore is 3. 3 die test. 5, 2, 2. I am going to apply this to the Deep One Hybrid, for reasons that will become clear shortly. Deep One Hybrid loses 1 Health, dies.

Mind’s Eye: Test Lore and flip. Lore 3. 3 die test. 2, 1, 1 Activating Sweet Dreams 5, 3, 2 Duke reroll 6
2 successes is -1 Sanity. 3 is a new Talent. @charmtrap, want to spend Clues and/or Focus on trying for one more success, keeping in mind your Corruption problem? Or activate this after Corruption and use Corruption to get a reroll, if you want…

Agnes Baker

Agnes Baker
Alter Fate: Test Lore and flip. Lore 4. 4 die test, blessed. 5, 4, 4, 2. 2+ successes = no effect.
Debt: Some men have come to collect on your debt. Flip this card.

Local Authorities
“Someone was asking about you,” says a fellow traveller. “They said you owe quite a bit of money. Naturally, I said I didn’t know anything, but you may want to find your way to a new town soon.” You attempt to hide from the police. Test Observation. If you fail, move to the nearest City space and gain a Detained Condition unless you discard 1 Ally Asset. Then discard this card.

Observation is 2. 2 die test, blessed. 5, 3. Debt discarded.
Hallucinations: Test Will. If you fail, flip this card. Will is 2. 2 die test, blessed. 3, 2

Surreal Dreams
Each night, you have vivid dreams of other worlds and grand adventures. As time goes on, you cannot separate dreams from reality. Draw and resolve an Other World Encounter. If the effect allows you to close a Gate, close 1 Gate of your choice. Otherwise, gain a Lost in Time and Space Condition. Then discard this card.

Other World Encounter:

Will is 2 -1. 1 die test, blessed. 3

Lore is 4. 4 die test, blessed. 5, 3, 3, 1
That almost went real, real bad for you…as it is, time to get Lost in Time and Space again.
Lost in Time and Space gained. Hallucinations discarded.
Lost in Time and Space (Condition) - Restriction. Remove your Investigator token from the game board. You are unaffected by other game effects and cannot move or perform actions. Instead of resolving an encounter, flip this card.
Lost in Time and Space makes you immune to all other game effects; not 100% clear but the BGG consensus seems to be this cancels the rest of your Reckoning. So no losing Blessed or triggering Agreement or Dark Pact this time around.

Sefina Rousseau

Sefina Rousseau
Perplexing Idol: The idol’s features seem to fluctuate as the stars move overhead. Flip this card.

Perplexing Idol (Reverse Side)
It is no longer as it was. The idol now faces the night sky, and you notice that its strange colors have changed over time. Resolve the effect based on the current Omen.
Green: Gain 1 Clue.
Blue: Gain 1 Focus or spend 1 Focus to improve a skill of your choice.
Red: One Monster on any space of your choice loses 2 Health.
Then flip this card.

Omen is Blue. Gain 1 Focus. (Since you have none at the moment.)

Shroud of Shadow: Test Lore -1 then flip this card. Lore is 5 -1. 4 die test. 6, 5, 3, 2
2 successes: -1 Sanity.

Paranoia: Test Will. If you fail, flip this card. Will is 4. 4 die test. 6, 6, 2, 1
Amnesia: Test Will. If you fail, flip this card. Will is 4. 4 die test. 5, 4, 2, 2
Debt: Some men have come to collect on your debt. Flip this card.

Hitmen
You see now it was no ordinary bank you borrowed from. Some armed men confront you and demand that you repay what you owe. Test Strength. If you fail, lose 3 Health. Then discard this card.

Strength is 1. 1 die test. 3. 3 Health lost. Debt discarded.
You could try the Focus for a reroll but it may not be worth it. @ironwulf

Spawn Gate
Gate spawns at Hyperborea (Space 13) (Red).
Cultist spawns from it.
Cultist (Space 13): Toughness 1. Horror: None. Combat: Str -1. Dam 1.
Reckoning: Spawn 1 Goat Spawn Monster or 1 Dark Young Monster on this space. Then, if you spawned a Monster, discard this Cultist.

Resolve Effect

Each Monster recovers all Health.
Dunwich Horror recovers to 8 Health. No other Monster is currently injured. (But the Mysterious Idol would have been wasted on anything that didn’t die immediately.)

Then each Investigator immediately encounters each Monster on his space in the order of his choice.
Agnes, being lost in time and space, narrowly dodges re-encountering the Horror.
Ashcan Pete encounters Werewolf.

Pending:
@triggercut’s choices about Reckoning.
@charmtrap’s choices about Reckoning. (And then fighting the werewolf.)
Conceivably but not mandatorily, @ironwulf’s choice about the Debt test reroll.

I’ll take the loss of Health, save the Focus.
Irksome as it’ll delay the move I had planned to Shanghai as I’ll need to rest.

I’ll discard Forced Learning. Sucks to lose it, but it is what it is.

I’ll burn the focus to keep Markings of Isis.

Does the train ticket count as a possession in the context of a potential discard for the corruption reckoning?

Yes. So do Clues. Focus and Resource tokens don’t but I’ve been marking them in that section of the sheet for convenience.

For my part, let’s go in this order:

1. Proc the Idol.
  2. Oh, a talent would be awesome…so let’s re-roll both of the Focus and then the Corruption re-roll (as far as necessary to get 1 success, obviously).
  3. Proc Corruption, discarding a Focus if possible, or a clue (if necessary).

I will surrender a focus token for half my incoming damage and then take the 1 point each of health and sanity.

Sorry, Focus is specifically not a possession - also you just spent it to keep Markings. Do you mean your Clue?

Sorry, meant the train ticket.

Sefina Rousseau
Loses 3 Health, down to 1.

Carolyn Fern
Forced Learning discarded. Focus expended to save Markings. Rail ticket discarded to Corruption. 1 Health and 1 Sanity lost.

Ashcan Pete
(Focus) 1 (Focus) 6
Talent gained.
Resilient (Condition) - Talent. Once per round, when you would lose Health, you may test Strength. If you pass, prevent the loss of up to 2 Health. Then flip this card.

Clue discarded to Corruption.

Werewolf encounter:
Horror: Will. Will is 3. 3 die test. 5, 2, 1 No Sanity lost.
Combat: Strength. Strength is 3 + 2 from Blunderbuss. 5 die test. 6, 5, 4, 4, 2. Blunderbuss doubles 6s. 3 successes. No damage taken. Werewolf takes 3 damage and dies.
Edit: Just realized that the Werewolf was Physically Resistant and the Blunderbuss couldn’t have been used. In theory should go back and reroll, in practice I am going to chalk it up as a 6,5,4 roll and move on.

@triggercut - pay to flip Tempted by Darkness, or gain another Eldritch token?

Game State End of Turn 6

Ignore the damage on the Horror, it was cleared by the Mythos event but I’m too lazy to re-edit the image.

Gates:
Green: Tunguska
Blue: Tokyo, Antarctica
Red: The Himalayas, Hyperborea (Space 13)

Monsters:
Dunwich Horror (Arkham): Toughness 8. Horror check = Will -1; damage 3. Combat check = Str -2; damage 3.
Reckoning: Roll 1 die. If the result is less than or equal to 4 (number of investigators), spawn 1 Gate.
Cthonian (Heart of Africa): Toughness 4. Horror: Will -1. Dam 2. Combat: Str -2. Dam 3.
When this Monster is spawned, move it to the Heart of Africa.
Young Cthonian (Heart of Africa): Toughness 3. Horror: Will -1. 2 dam. Combat: Str -1. 2 dam.
When this Monster is spawned, each investigator on this space or an adjacent space loses 1 Health and 1 Sanity.
Honored Dead (The Pyramids): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 3.
When this Monster spawns, move it to the Pyramids.
Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, the nearest investigator gains a Cursed Condition.
Leng Spider (Tokyo): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 2.
If you fail the Will test, do not resolve the Strength test and you do not resolve any other encounters this turn.
Riot (Tunguska): Toughness 3. Horror: None. Combat: Strength -3. 3 dam.
Before resolving the Strength test, you may attempt to disperse the mob. Test Influence -1. If you succeed, defeat this Monster.
Leng Spider (Tunguska): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 2.
If you fail the Will test, do not resolve the Strength test and you do not resolve any other encounters this turn.
Byakhee (Antarctica). Toughness 2. Horror: Will. Dam 1. Combat: Str. Dam 2.
If you defeat this monster during a Combat Encounter, you may lose 1 Sanity and move 3 spaces instead of resolving another encounter.
Ghoul Priest (space 7): Toughness 2. Horror: Will. Dam 1. Combat: Str. Dam 2.
If you lose Health from the Strength test, gain a Paranoia condition. Reckoning: Resolve the Reckoning effect of the Cultist monster on the Ancient One sheet.

Mythos Cards (Ongoing/Rumor):
None currently.

Doom: 9
Omen: Right Blue
Active Mystery:
Second%20Mystery

Investigators: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wvWdknRhHlEM2wpPa1EwfkMCP_l6bzDMveCANMQrsZM/edit
(Should be up to date as of this post, let me know if not.)

Asset Reserve:
[3] Silver Twilight Ritual (Asset) - Service: When you gain this card, immediately retreat Doom by 1. Then discard this card.
[3] Occult Scripture (Asset) - Item - Tome. When you gain this card from the deck or the reserve, gain 2 Clues. Whenever you gain a Clue during a Research Encounter, spawn 1 Clue.
[3] Enchanted Jewelry (Asset) - Item - Magical Relic: If you would lose Sanity, you may spend 1 Focus to prevent the loss of up to 2 sanity.
[1] Bandages (Asset) - Item: You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Health.

Action%20Phase
@Brooski is Lead Investigator, but Lost in Time and Space so can’t actually do anything.
@ironwulf, you are next up.

First Action: Discard 1 Lore improvement token to gain 1 Focus/1 Clue/1 Resource
This should also complete my Personal Story (whew)
Second Action: I will rest. I will spend both Resources to recover extra 2 Health
Roll for Paranoia (Condition) = 3 http://orokos.com/roll/624819
Roll for Amnesia (Condition) = 2 http://orokos.com/roll/624820

Looks like I actually get to examine Fossilized Samples (Unique Asset) during a Rest Action.
Testing Observation (4) = 2,3,1,1 Hah…what miserable luck. Will not re-roll

@triggercut

Well, I was waiting for @triggercut to go, but I’ll just go ahead and set my move in advance.

1. Take a train ticket
  2. Move to Himalayas to try for that clue omw to London.

Ack, sorry. Busy night.

1. Prepare to travel (train ticket)
  2. Use train ticket to travel the extra space to Rome.

Sorry for the interruption. I have been reading along but get lost in some of the details. Are you winning? Losing? Is it close? It’s hard to see the narrative woods through all of the rules trees.

At this point it’s impossible to tell. They’ve achieved one of the three things they need to do to win, and are a little under halfway through their hard time limit and 1/3rd or so through the soft time limit (Doom). But a lot will depend on how much their characters get improved versus how hard the game hits back.

My experience with all the Arkham games is that everything can pretty much fall to shit at the flip of any card. Which is fair enough, I guess, since we’re dealing with Great Old Ones and their minions.

That said, we’re doing OK so far, I think. There are a lot of monsters and open gates that are making me very nervous for the next reckoning.

Sefina Rousseau (action phase)
Personal Story completed. The Painted World Reward gained:
The Painted World (Reward): When you gain this card, improve Lore and Will. Action: Reveal the top Gate of the Gate stack. Discard that Gate or perform an additional action.

Encounter%20Phase

Agnes Baker
Lost in Time and Space

Observation is 2 -1 for test. 1 die test, blessed. 1
Gate spawns in Shanghai (Red). Lloigor spawns from that gate.
Lloigor (Shanghai). Toughness 4. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -2. Dam 3.
Reckoning: Each Investigator on this space or an adjacent space loses 1 Health and 1 Sanity.
Monster Surge on Shanghai:
Cultist spawns at Shanghai. Cultist spawns at Shanghai.
Cultist (Shanghai): Toughness 1. Horror: None. Combat: Str -1. Dam 1.
Reckoning: Spawn 1 Goat Spawn Monster or 1 Dark Young Monster on this space. Then, if you spawned a Monster, discard this Cultist.
Cultist (Shanghai): Toughness 1. Horror: None. Combat: Str -1. Dam 1.
Agnes Baker appears in Shanghai and is Delayed. (No actions next Action Phase.) Lost in Time and Space discarded.

Sefina Rousseau
San Francisco Encounter (City)

Lore is 5 -1. 4 die test. 6, 6, 1, 1

@ironwulf, which skill would you like to improve?

Carolyn Fern
Rome Encounter (City)

Four of Cups (Unique Asset) - Trinket - Tarot. When you gain this card, improve Will. Whenever you roll a 1 during a Will test as part of a Combat Encounter, you may reroll that die.
@triggercut, lose 2 Health or take an Injury?

Ashcan Pete
Research Encounter (Wilderness)

Lore is 3 -1 for test. Activating Practiced for +1 die and reroll. 3 die test. 5, 5, 2
Clue gained.

Pending:
@ironwulf’s decision on skill improvement.
@triggercut’s decision on form of pain. (And also end of last Mythos decision about Tempted by Darkness - Eldritch token or flip at Health/Sanity cost?)