Mythos%20Phase

Advance Omen
Omen moves to Right Blue.
1 Blue gate: Antarctica.
Doom advances to 2

Reckoning

Monsters

Dunwich Horror: 6 No gate for once.
Lloigor: Agnes Baker and Sefina Rousseau both lose 1 Health and 1 Sanity.
Cultist in Sydney transforms into a Goat Spawn.
Ghoul Priest transforms itself into a Dark Young.
Werewolf moves to Sydney.
Cultist in Antarctica would transform but no Goat Spawn or Dark Young tokens available.

Ancient One: (not collapsing because it’s a big deal)
Rat-Thing spawned on space 10.
Rat-Thing (Space 10). Toughness 1. Horror: Obs -2. Dam 0. Combat: Str -1. Dam 1.
If you fail the Observation test, lose 1 Item.
10 or more Monsters in play: Doom advances to 0
Shub-Niggurath awakens! Ancient One card flips:

Shub-Niggurath (Epic Monster) spawns in the Heart of Africa!
Shub-Niggurath (Heart of Africa): Toughness 7. Horror: Will -1. Dam 4. Combat: Str -3. Dam 5.
This Epic Monster cannot lose Health unless three mysteries have been solved.

So here’s the question: seeing this, do you want to play this out? You need to solve two more mysteries to be able to fight Shub-Niggurath, and you’ll have a real rough time in that fight. There are already two monsters (Cthonian and Young Cthonian) there, so you have at best 3 reckonings to do all of this in (and only a couple turns more than that in the entire game). If you are defeated or devoured now that the Ancient One has awakened, you are eliminated and do not pick a new character. I don’t think you have any chance whatsoever. But it’s up to you. If you do, I’ll finish resolving the Mythos turn, if not I see no reason to go through a dozen more Reckoning effects, etc.

Unless we have someone who can complete this mystery this turn, I say we take the L. It can’t be all that bad in Shub’s tummy.

Nobody will be in position to do that, no. The Mythos card effect is to remove a Clue from everyone for every active Rumor, and nobody is within range of London with 3+ Clues. I don’t think anyone even has 3+ clues.

We’re just prolonging an ignominious defeat, I say we take the loss.

Yeah, here at the end of the world, I was going to try to acquire four clues and do my self-sacrifice in hope that it might do something game-changing…but missed the clue last turn and I’m dubious it would’ve done all that much anyway.

We done got Shub-Niggurath-ed!

@malkav11 thanks so much for running that!

Sounds like a consensus, then. It was a valiant struggle and you guys got some really good cards and effects at times but I think a core problem was that nobody ever really had a great monster killing setup (Ashcan and Agnes could fight, but didn’t really have enough firepower to mix it up reliably with bigger threats). And well, that’s a problem against the Thousand Young…

Thank you all for playing. Like I said a few days ago, I was getting a little burned out towards the end here, so I think I’m going to pause the whole forum game running thing for a bit but I fully intend to do this again or another game at some point in the not too distant future.

Any Eldritch Horror play-by-forums about to come up? I’ve only played the base game, but am willing to learn the expansions as we go on.

I think about it now and then but it was a lot of work and we’re approaching the holiday season so probably not in the super near future. At least not on my part.

Thanks for the response @malkav11
Hit me up if you plan on running EH in the future, hopefully I’ll be online. :D