Eldritch Horror play by forum

Instead of making for The Amazon (since it seems that Agnes is going to try for that clue), Pete will head down to Buenos Aires to back up Sefina in case she can’t close the gate on her encounter. And also for his own selfish motives natch! (it should clear his personal story).

So, Action 1: move to space 8 and spend the ship ticket to move in to BA.
Action 2: I’ll spend this action gaining focus.

While I applaud your motives, I should point out there is an Avian Thrall there. Sefina is ignoring it (for the Encounter phase, anyway) due to being infused with living shadow in a way that’s rapidly driving her insane. You would have to fight and kill it (3 successes on the Str -1 combat check) in a Combat Encounter this turn to be able to also encounter the gate if needed. The Thrall does count for your personal story encounter if you’re okay with that though. And you do collectively need to start killing some of the monsters or Doom’s going to start advancing real quicklike every Reckoning.

As you say, the monsters are piling up, and I do have a Bull Whip, a Blessed (neither are listed on my tracking, FYI) and a Practiced to give me a boost.

I’ll take a shot it, anyway.

You aren’t Blessed anymore. It went away in the first Reckoning.

Oh, I missed that. Fuck it, I’ll YOLO it anyway.

Added the Bull Whip to tracking, also. And hey, you may have only been Blessed for about five seconds, but it was long enough to get you that Talent off Mind’s Eye, which isn’t too shabby.

I’ll run encounters tomorrow since it’s getting late. Maybe even Mythos too if we’re lucky. I assume you’d like to use Practiced and Duke’s reroll on the fight, specifically the Strength check?

PS: @Brooski, it hasn’t come up yet and may not this turn, but if you get into a fight I assume you’d like to use Storm of Spirits (at the very least until we see the flip side) and possibly spend the Health for the two extra spell dice if the monster warrants?

Yessir.

Yeah, use whatever I’ve got.

Encounter%20Phase

Agnes Baker
Research Encounter (Wilderness)

@Brooski, Dark Pact plus clue and improvement, or Paranoia? Reminder that Dark Pacts are very bad and there’s no easy way to get rid of them. (Though, you have Alter Fate and could trade it to another player if you really wanted.)

Sefina Rousseau
Other World Encounter

Lore is 3. 3 die test. 6, 6, 6 Spending 1 Focus to Improve Lore per special ability. Memento restores it.
Lore improved

Will is 3. 3 die test. 5, 2, 2

Gate closed!

Carolyn Fern
Other World Encounter

Influence is 3 +1 for Markings, -1 for test. 3 die test. 5, 2, 1

Gate closed!
Lore is 2 + 1 for Markings, -1 for test. Unfortunately the Markings and Diary don’t stack. 2 die test.
3, 3 Using Markings reroll 2

@triggercut, you have 2 Focus tokens you could spend for one last shot at this. Artifacts are usually pretty powerful. On the other hand, at least the gate’s closed. (I forgot to update the Focus you got from the Reckoning on Markings, but you have it.)

Ashcan Pete
Combat Encounter - Avian Thrall
Avian Thrall (Buenos Aires): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. 2 dam. Combat: Str - 1. 2 dam.
If Sanity is lost in Will test, gain 1 Corruption Condition.
Horror check: Will. Will is 3. 3 die test. 4, 3, 3 Using Mind’s Eye reroll 2
Could use Duke -and- the Focus for a shot at blocking all the damage but I think better to just invoke the protective totem. 2 Sanity damage, reduced to 1 by Protective Totem (down to 3 Sanity). Corruption Condition gained.
Corruption (Condition) - Bane: You may gain 1 Eldritch token to reroll one die when resolving a test. If you would gain a Boon Condition, discard this card instead. Reckoning: Gain 1 Eldritch token, then flip this card.
Combat check: Strength -1. Strength is 3 -1 from test, +1 for Bull Whip. Activating Practiced for 1 more die and a reroll
4 die test. 6, 5, 5, 4
Welp. 3 damage to Avian Thrall, killing it. No health damage taken. No need for rerolls.
Avian Thrall killed.
Buenos Aires token discarded from Personal Story. Personal Story complete! Sweet Dreams gained.
Sweet Dreams (Reward): Once per round you may reroll all your dice when resolving a test. You cannot discard Duke unless you choose to.

Strictly speaking you don’t have to do another encounter, but you’re allowed since you killed the monster, sooo
Buenos Aires Encounter (City)

Non-Incantation Spell gained:
Poison Mist (Spell) - Ritual: Action: Test Lore +1. If you pass, discard Monsters from your space with total Toughness equal to or less than your test result. Then flip this card.
Lore is 3 -1 for test. 2 die test. 4, 4 Using Sweet Dreams reroll. 5, 5

Tome Unique Asset gained:
Cryptic Text (Unique Asset) - Item - Tome: Action: You attempt to decipher a cryptic message in the text. Test Lore. If you pass, you uncover secrets that could alter the fate of humanity; flip this card.

Mythos Phase pending on:

1. @Brooski’s decision on the research encounter. (Also, if you gain the clue, put it on the mystery?)
  2. @triggercut deciding whether to burn Focus to try for that Tome.

I am willing to burn up to both focus tokens to try to acquire the Tome…and also avoid the San loss.

Also, that was a pretty big Encounter turn for us. might get us back in the game, depending (knock wood) on the cruelty of the Mythos phase…

Agreed, two gates closed, 1 monster slain.
And Sefina actually had some good rolls there. Now to just do something about her frame of mind…

@charmtrap the Blunderbuss asset that I have as Sefina is wasted on her, do a trade with me before you leave Buenos Aires and you can add that to your arsenal. (I plan to use my special action to advance my Personal Story as well as rest to try to deal with conditions on my next turn)

Take Pact.

@ironwulf Sure thing. Will absolutely take.

At this point, with my extensive armory and all my re-rolls, I will be heading out to sweep some streets.

Agnes Baker (continued)
Dark Pact condition gained. Clue gained. 1 Eldritch token placed on Know Thy Enemy. Assuming for now you want to put this on the Mystery, correct me if not. Clue added to Mystery. 3 Clues remaining to solve. Strength improved.
Dark Pact (Condition) - Deal: Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 1, it is time to fulfill your part of the bargain; flip this card.

Carolyn Fern (continued)
Spending a Focus token to reroll 1 die on Lore check. 5
Tome Artifact gained.
Turns out you recognize it because…
The Necronomicon (Artifact) - Item - Tome: Action: Test Lore. If you pass, you may spend 1 Sanity to gain 2 Spells.

Mythos%20Phase

Advance Omen
Omen advances to Left Blue.
1 Blue gate (Tokyo)
Doom advances to 10

Monster Surge
2 Monsters spawn at each Blue gate
Tokyo:
Leng Spider: Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 2.
If you fail the Will test, do not resolve the Strength test and you do not resolve any other encounters this turn.
Cultist: Toughness 1. Horror: None. Combat: Str -1. Dam 1.
Reckoning: Spawn 1 Goat Spawn Monster or 1 Dark Young Monster on this space. Then, if you spawned a Monster, discard this Cultist.

Spawn Clues
Clue spawns on space 5. (So, there was already a Clue there? Turns out that was supposed to be on space 3. So there’s one on space 3 now. Whoops.)
Clue spawns in The Himalayas.
There are now enough Clues out between players and board for Carolyn to get her Reward if someone Rests on her space. The check doesn’t happen otherwise though.

Resolve Effect

@Brooski, you may take a Lost in Time and Space condition to advance the current Mystery by 1. (basically, put a clue on it) Do you wish to do so?
Lost in Time and Space will remove you from the board, prevent you from taking any action during the coming Action Phase, and you encounter it instead of having an encounter during the Encounter Phase. But you will then be able to return to the board on any space you choose. Be warned - the encounter will be pretty much guaranteed to be bad for you if you fail whatever it asks and usually doesn’t get you anything if you succeed.

Game State End of Turn 3
If Brooski takes the deal, pretend Agnes isn’t on this board but it should be otherwise unchanged.

Gates:
Green: Tunguska
Blue: Tokyo
Red: The Himalayas

Monsters:
Werewolf (Space 17): Toughness 2. Horror check = Will; damage 1. Combat check = Str; damage 2.
Physical Resistance (you can’t apply dice bonuses except from Magical possessions and Spells)
Reckoning: Move this monster one space towards the nearest investigator. Then each investigator on this space loses 1 Health.
Dunwich Horror (Arkham): Toughness 8. Horror check = Will -1; damage 3. Combat check = Str -2; damage 3.
Reckoning: Roll 1 die. If the result is less than or equal to 4 (number of investigators), spawn 1 Gate.
Cthonian (Heart of Africa): Toughness 4. Horror: Will -1. Dam 2. Combat: Str -2. Dam 3.
When this Monster is spawned, move it to the Heart of Africa.
Young Cthonian (Heart of Africa): Toughness 3. Horror: Will -1. 2 dam. Combat: Str -1. 2 dam.
When this Monster is spawned, each investigator on this space or an adjacent space loses 1 Health and 1 Sanity.
Hunting Horror (Rome): Toughness 3 (2 Health remaining). Horror: Will -1. Dam 3. Combat: Str. Dam 2.
Reckoning: Move this Monster to the nearest space containing an investigator. Then an investigator on that space immediately encounters it.
Honored Dead (The Pyramids): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 3.
When this Monster spawns, move it to the Pyramids.
Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, the nearest investigator gains a Cursed Condition.
Deep One Hybrid (Tunguska): Toughness 1. Horror: Will. Dam 1. Combat: Str -1. Dam 1.
When you defeat this Monster in a Combat Encounter, lose 1 Sanity and gain 1 random Item Asset from the deck.
Leng Spider (Tokyo): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 2.
If you fail the Will test, do not resolve the Strength test and you do not resolve any other encounters this turn.
Cultist (Tokyo): Toughness 1. Horror: None. Combat: Str -1. Dam 1.
Reckoning: Spawn 1 Goat Spawn Monster or 1 Dark Young Monster on this space. Then, if you spawned a Monster, discard this Cultist.

Mythos Cards (Ongoing/Rumor):
None at present.

Doom: 10
Omen: Left Blue
Active Mystery:
Starting%20Mystery
(1 clue of 4)

Investigators: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wvWdknRhHlEM2wpPa1EwfkMCP_l6bzDMveCANMQrsZM/edit
(Should be up to date as of this post, let me know if not.)

Asset Reserve:
[3] Silver Twilight Ritual (Asset) - Service: When you gain this card, immediately retreat Doom by 1. Then discard this card.
[3] Monster Hunter (Asset) - Ally: Gain +2 strength during Combat Encounters. Action: A Monster of your choice on your space loses 1 Health.
[3] Enchanted Jewelry (Asset) - Item - Magical Relic: If you would lose Sanity, you may spend 1 Focus to prevent the loss of up to 2 sanity.
[1] Bandages (Asset) - Item: You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Health.

Action%20Phase
@ironwulf is lead investigator for this turn.

If folks want to see how @Brooski decides before taking any actions, fair enough, but if your turn doesn’t depend on Agnes being around, you should feel free to act.

First action: Rest
I’ll roll a die for both my Madnesses
Paranoia (Condition) 3 Blah http://orokos.com/roll/620608
Amnesia (Condition) 3 Double blah http://orokos.com/roll/620609
I’ll also spend 1 Resource to heal an extra Health, unfortunately Despair means no Sanity recovery.

Second Action Prepare for travel, grab another ship ticket

@triggercut

Despair doesn’t just stop you from recovering Sanity, it also flips when you Rest. One sec.

Edit: Congratulations on getting perhaps the worst possible version of Despair for your character.

Despair (Reverse Side)
Accursed Memories
Nothing but blasphemous memories fill your mind, driving you to madness and despair. Surely beating the memories from your skull is the only release. Test Strength. If you pass, discard this card. If you fail, discard 2 Clues and flip this card.

Strength is 1. 1 die test. 6
On the other hand, you lucked the hell out.
Despair discarded.

Wow…talk about a fortuitous roll on that one!