Eldritch Horror play by forum

Damage to enemies is persistent in Eldritch Horror, so you would potentially make it easier to kill next time around. But it does use resources at no guarantee of success.

I think I’ll just eat the damage, and try to Poison Mist him next Action Round…if that fails, roll again next turn.

Carolyn Fern (continued)
Spend Focus to reroll 4
Cultist ambushes!
Horror check: None.
Combat check: Strength -1. Strength is 2 +1 for Markings, -1 for test. 2 die test. 6, 3
Cultist slain!

Ashcan Pete (continued)
2 Health damage. Protective Totem activated to reduce damage by 1 to 1. 6 Health remaining.

Agnes Baker (continued)
Clue added to Mystery. (4/4)

PS: Forgot to restock the reserve:
[3] Occult Scripture (Asset) - Item - Tome. When you gain this card from the deck or the reserve, gain 2 Clues. Whenever you gain a Clue during a Research Encounter, spawn 1 Clue.

Mythos%20Phase

Advance Omen
Omen moves to Green.
1 Green Gate (Tunguska).
Doom advances to 9

Monster Surge
2 Monsters spawn at each Green Gate!
Tunguska:
Riot (Tunguska): Toughness 3. Horror: None. Combat: Strength -3. 3 dam.
Before resolving the Strength test, you may attempt to disperse the mob. Test Influence -1. If you succeed, defeat this Monster.
Leng Spider (Tunguska): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 2.
If you fail the Will test, do not resolve the Strength test and you do not resolve any other encounters this turn.

Spawn Clues
Clue spawns in London.
Clue spawns in Shanghai.

Resolve Effect

Lead Investigator gains a Corruption Condition and 1 Tempted by Darkness Unique Asset.
Carolyn Fern gains:
Corruption (Condition) - Bane: You may gain 1 Eldritch token to reroll one die when resolving a test. If you would gain a Boon Condition, discard this card instead. Reckoning: Gain 1 Eldritch token, then flip this card.
Tempted by Darkness (Unique Asset) - Task. At the end of the Mythos Phase, you may spend 2 Health and 2 Sanity to flip this card. If you do not flip this card, gain 1 Eldritch token.
I believe the Eldritch token will count towards Corruption’s Reckoning effect, as both cards say to just “gain” an Eldritch token, rather than putting the token on the condition or task. This also means that your Ally will not double it.

End of Mythos Phase
Nature of the All-Mother solved!
1 of 3 Mysteries solved for victory. Death XIII causes Doom to retreat. Doom is now 10
New Mystery:
Second%20Mystery

Carolyn Fern:
@triggercut, spend 2 Health and 2 Sanity to flip Tempted by Darkness, or gain 1 Eldritch token?

Game State End of Turn 5

Gates:
Green: Tunguska
Blue: Tokyo
Red: The Himalayas

Monsters:
Werewolf (Space 17): Toughness 2. Horror check = Will; damage 1. Combat check = Str; damage 2.
Physical Resistance (you can’t apply dice bonuses except from Magical possessions and Spells)
Reckoning: Move this monster one space towards the nearest investigator. Then each investigator on this space loses 1 Health.
Dunwich Horror (Arkham): Toughness 8. Horror check = Will -1; damage 3. Combat check = Str -2; damage 3.
Reckoning: Roll 1 die. If the result is less than or equal to 4 (number of investigators), spawn 1 Gate.
Cthonian (Heart of Africa): Toughness 4. Horror: Will -1. Dam 2. Combat: Str -2. Dam 3.
When this Monster is spawned, move it to the Heart of Africa.
Young Cthonian (Heart of Africa): Toughness 3. Horror: Will -1. 2 dam. Combat: Str -1. 2 dam.
When this Monster is spawned, each investigator on this space or an adjacent space loses 1 Health and 1 Sanity.
Hunting Horror (Rome): Toughness 3 (2 Health remaining). Horror: Will -1. Dam 3. Combat: Str. Dam 2.
Reckoning: Move this Monster to the nearest space containing an investigator. Then an investigator on that space immediately encounters it.
Honored Dead (The Pyramids): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 3.
When this Monster spawns, move it to the Pyramids.
Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, the nearest investigator gains a Cursed Condition.
Deep One Hybrid (Tunguska): Toughness 1. Horror: Will. Dam 1. Combat: Str -1. Dam 1.
When you defeat this Monster in a Combat Encounter, lose 1 Sanity and gain 1 random Item Asset from the deck.
Leng Spider (Tokyo): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 2.
If you fail the Will test, do not resolve the Strength test and you do not resolve any other encounters this turn.
Riot (Tunguska): Toughness 3. Horror: None. Combat: Strength -3. 3 dam.
Before resolving the Strength test, you may attempt to disperse the mob. Test Influence -1. If you succeed, defeat this Monster.
Leng Spider (Tunguska): Toughness 3. Horror: Will. Dam 2. Combat: Str -1. Dam 2.

Mythos Cards (Ongoing/Rumor):
None currently.

Doom: 10
Omen: Green
Active Mystery:
Second%20Mystery

Investigators: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wvWdknRhHlEM2wpPa1EwfkMCP_l6bzDMveCANMQrsZM/edit
(Should be up to date as of this post, let me know if not.)

Asset Reserve:
[3] Silver Twilight Ritual (Asset) - Service: When you gain this card, immediately retreat Doom by 1. Then discard this card.
[3] Occult Scripture (Asset) - Item - Tome. When you gain this card from the deck or the reserve, gain 2 Clues. Whenever you gain a Clue during a Research Encounter, spawn 1 Clue.
[3] Enchanted Jewelry (Asset) - Item - Magical Relic: If you would lose Sanity, you may spend 1 Focus to prevent the loss of up to 2 sanity.
[1] Bandages (Asset) - Item: You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Health.

Action%20Phase

@charmtrap, you are Lead Investigator for this turn.
I have no idea what Tempted by Darkness does (I think it’s new in Masks). I don’t -think- it should affect anyone but triggercut’s turn so you are probably fine to proceed, but up to y’all.

So the Tempted by the Darkness is either pay now with 2 health/sanity…or wait until the reckoning and then get really smacked.

Gah.

I suspect what it actually does is give you some benefit based on your Eldritch tokens if you flip it (it is an asset, after all)…but the more Eldritch you have, the worse Corruption will be on Reckonings. But that’s just speculation. I haven’t played with Masks before.

I have two clues, and we have a new mystery that requires clues and some low-level combat to clear, so I think my goal now (instead of worrying about this gate) is to meander my way to London, gathering a couple of more clues on the way. Unless someone has a better idea, that is.

To that end, I’ll use my travel action to head to Shanghai to get after that clue. While I’m there, I’ll grab a train ticket, strike that, I’ll do a focus action.

Reminder that it helps move things along to @ the next person. @brooski, you’re up.

Not my turn yet, but FTR, I’ll take the Eldritch token and keep Tempted by Darkness un-flipped.

Sorry. (1) Take a Train ticket and (2) travel to Arkham to fight the Dunwich Horror.

First Action: Spend my Observation improvement token to get 1 Focus/Clue/Resource
improvement token will go on my personal story card.
Second Action Prepare for travel by grabbing a ship ticket.

@triggercut

I’ll complete our action phase as follows:

First action: Focus action, to gain focus token
Second action: try for spells with Necronomicon

Will be performing Clue encounter during that phase.

@malkav11, I believe that finishes the phase.

For the record, I have some sort of nasty bug and have barely been able to concentrate enough to passively watch video content for any length of time, much less process encounters/mythos. They’re top of the list once I’m feeling better, though.

No hurry…hope you feel better.

Ok, feeling up to this finally.
First thing is to resolve the Necronomicon - reminder, @triggercut, this tests your Lore, so you could make that roll when using it. Not super important at the moment, but could save pausing for me if you were higher in the turn order and you failed the roll. Anyhoo, Lore is 2 w/ +1 from Markings for a 3 die test: 5, 5, 5
1 Sanity lost, 2 Spells gained.
Clairvoyance (Spell) - Incantation. During the Encounter Phase, you may test Lore. If you pass, you may choose to encounter a Clue as if you are on its space, ignoring Monsters on that space. Then flip this card.
Forced Learning (Spell) - Glamour: Once per round, when you improve a skill, improve that skill again. Reckoning: Test Lore, then flip this card.

Encounter%20Phase

Ashcan Pete
Research Encounter (City)
So, uh…every single time I have ever played this game I’ve been shuffling the encounter decks after every encounter. But…that’s something you do in Arkham Horror and I can’t find anything suggesting that’s actually correct in Eldritch. I mention this because I drew a gross repeat Research Encounter for Ashcan here and double-checked and…yeah, now I feel dumb. Moving on to a fresh one… (Note that there still may be repeats, there are only 24 Research Encounter cards. But we should at least run through the deck first…)

Will is 3. Activating Practiced for +1 die and a reroll. 4 die test. 6, 5, 1, 1

@charmtrap, which Monster loses Health? Two targets I’d consider promising are the Werewolf (2 health, Reckoning effect that tracks people down and hurts them) and the Hunting Horror (2 health remaining and teleports directly to an investigator on reckoning and attacks). Conceivably the Dunwich Horror also, though Agnes is working on that…

Agnes Baker
Combat Encounter (Dunwich Horror)
Horror: Will -1. Will is 2. Activating Guts to gain 2 Will.

Guts (Reverse Side)
You may add 1 to the result of one die when resolving the Will test. After resolving the test, resolve the effect based on your test result.
0-2 successes: You are convinced of your impending doom but push forward regardless. Gain 1 Madness Condition unless you discard this card.
3+ successes: You are certain that you will win. No additional effect.
Then flip this card.

2 + 2 from Guts - 1 from test. 3 die test, blessed. 1, 1, 1 Welp. Rerolling 1 die due to Profane Tome. 6 @Brooski, you could spend Focus and/or your Clue to reroll the second and even third die - all you need is a 3 to reduce sanity loss, and a 4 and 3 to avoid Madness/discarding Guts and all Sanity damage to boot
Combat: Str -2. I know you okayed use of Storm of Shadows and Health spending earlier, but you now roll 5 dice base on Strength checks in combat between the Str improvement and the Monster Hunter, and only go up to 6 by going with the spell and Health, unless the flip side offers some further bonuses. Do you still want to do that, or would you prefer to go the punchy route?

Sefina Rousseau
San Francisco Encounter (City)

Influence is 2. 2 die test. 2, 1 using auto-Focus 2

This seems like a good time to spend 1 or more Focus and/or Clue tokens to succeed, but up to you @ironwulf

Carolyn Fern
Research Encounter (City)

Observation is 2 + 1 for Markings. 3 die test. 6, 5, 2

Clue gained.

Pending:
@charmtrap’s decision on Monster.
@Brooski’s choices on Will rerolls and Strength tactic.
@ironwulf’s choice as to whether and how much to invest in rerolls.

I will use 1 Focus and (if needed) 1 Clue for re-rolls
Actually, that is an extremely nasty consequence for failing, use both Focus and the Clue if necessary to try to pass.

Focus and Clue for re-rolls.

I punch!

I think I’ll take out the Hunting Horror since it can teleport in and ruin someone’s day, and the WW moves pretty slowly .

Ashcan Pete (continued)
Hunting Horror loses 2 Health and is killed.

Agnes Baker (continued)
Horror rerolls: (Focus) 4 (Clue) 1
1 Sanity loss. @Brooski, Madness or discard Guts?
Combat check: Str -2. Str is 3, plus 2 from Monster Hunter, -2 for test. 3 die test, blessed. 5, 4, 2.
2 damage dealt to Dunwich Horror (of 8), 1 Health taken in return.

Sefina Rousseau (continued)
(Focus) 4 (Focus) 2 (Clue) 6
Well, expensive, but you got there. Which skill do you want to improve, @ironwulf?