Election 2011

But won’t you think of the CHILDREN!!!

An ex-newscaster in Iowa got herself elected to the state senate, thereby preserving the Democratic majority and saving same-sex marriage for a few more years.

Lucky bastards. Go to Chuys for me and have the green chili enchiladas.

Nobody I voted for won, and it looks like Republicans might gain control of the Virginia Senate, so that sucks.

If they do it will be with some relatively moderate Republicans and no major mandate. It’s a shame, but I’m not too worried.

I didn’t have anything to vote on this year. No special elections, no initiatives, no levys - nothing. The polls were not open. I don’t remember this ever happening before.

I showed up to vote for Martha Coakley but it turned out I was late. Someone should have told me.

That’s completely retarded. States that allow grocery store and convenience sales have extremely low sell-to-minor rates because the penalties for selling to minors are so extreme nobody in their right mind plays fast and loose for fear of losing the cash cow liquor license. It’s not like you guys are entering some uncharted territory, christ. The number of states that DON’T have grocery store sales has got to be in the single digits, right?

Having lived in CA, I voted for it in favor of having cheap Costco booze instead of having to buy whatever THE MAN decided they felt like carrying and at specific hours. Just like I did last time around.

The number of states that DON’T have grocery store sales has got to be in the single digits, right?

Flipping through the list quite a few states don’t let grocery stores sell hard liqour. Counting only the “no, never” states:

Alabama
Alaska
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
DC
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Kansas
Kentucky
Minnesota
Mississippi
Montana
New Hampshire
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Wyoming

29 states. It’s not all deep south low-population either; New York, Texas, Connecticut. Per this it’s ~160 million, or ~51% of the population.

Pssh, silly facts.

Living in Oregon, there are state run stores all over the place so I don’t really care much. It seems odd to me that liquor is state run though. You can buy cigarettes anywhere, but liquor is controlled, yet both require being an adult to purchase. Makes my head hurt figuring out how someone rationalizes that.

The stores in OR aren’t all state run, though, right? I’ve been to places that looked like privately owned ones and had their own shop names, not “Liquor Store #225” like here in WA.

I hate living in a state with “state stores.” The selection is what the state decides they can carry, the prices are fixed by the state and thus higher, etc. Fortunately I’m only an hour from a state that doesn’t have such laws, so I (and many others) never buy from the local state stores.

1. DC is not a state. Also you’re oversimplfying that list considerably - it states that in a number of those states Grocery stores have “areas that sell all forms of alcoholic beverages” so while grocery stores don’t technically sell it, they effectively do. For example when I was recently in Minnesota, Byerly’s (the fancy grocery store) had attached liquor stores.

I’m pretty sure they’re all state run. You can’t simply apply for a license and open a store. Possibly privately owned, but the OLCC has a website with every single store and you can search for what’s in stock so I suspect it’s all state owned and controlled. I do know the folks in the store can write down requests and such, so the state may leave the running of the shop, as far as selection, up to the manager.

Create your own list!

Florida has attached liquor stores, Virginia just has ABC’s.

See the reality of what just passed here in Washington is that the only gain is convenience. The prices are not expected to change in any significant way because the iniative had to promise a bunch of new money for services and enforcement to pass (as McCullough noted this is the third attempt to change the system here). So it really comes down to convenience versus everything else.

And I work for a major national retailer that sells beer and wine. You can talk about enforcement and penalties all you want and it still doesn’t change the fact that cashiers where I’ve worked get a short annual quiz and thats it. No real training on how to recognize a fake ID, nothing. The state liquor stores pay better wages and do a much better job in training because all they do is sell liquor and their careers depend on doing things the right way.

Doesn’t matter now, but that was my thinking when I voted.

Then those folks should be turned into inspectors and trainers for retail stores to keep jobs around.

And since the fines are likely to rise, etc, I’m betting they’re going to get more training.

Its a national chain. This is the same training they are giving in California and other states where the penalties are already higher.