Electric cars, hybrids, and related vehicles

That’s a chart that says they’re overpriced, isn’t it? You can see how they can get away with it if they’re generally the only option in the market, but you wouldn’t expect it to be sustainable as other carmakers — carmakers with much greater capacity to produce cars — increasingly join the party.

On the plus side, Tesla’s success has broken the dam on EVs, and forced all and sundry to go all-in on providing electric vehicles to a mass audience. Whatever happens, they’ll always have Paris, er, that piece of history.

And as much as I loathe Musk, and am personally uninspired by Tesla vehicles, I have a ton of respect for the tech and engineering in so many of the areas of those cars.

I think part of the profitability of Tesla last year was their ability to raise factory prices due to excess demand, whereas for other car manufacturers the additional dealer markup was by the dealer, not the manufacturer.

Same here. What’s amazing about Telsa is they are the first new US automaker since… um… not even sure. The cost of entry in that industry are astronomical and they’ve pulled it off (so far).

that’s an odd one

That remains one ugly truck.

Also , prices to recharge going up!

lol

And white lights will tell human drivers to simply follow the car in front of them.”

Um…pretty much what green means…

The white phase concept rests on the fact that it is possible for AVs to communicate wirelessly with both each other and the computer controlling the traffic signal.

Sure, sure. Wake me when there is industry and government alignment, consensus and traction on some standaridisation and protocols for exactly how that comes to pass, because at the moment it’s just pissing into some utopian wind.

And that piss will inevitably spray back all over you too. Hard pass on this idiocy.

Not that a networked system of interconnected vehicles and control systems is a bad idea. It’s just something that requires a mind-boggling amount of design, preparation, money, and skill to pull off on the scale that would be necessary to avoid chaos.

It’s amazing to me that the proponents of this sort of self-driving car networked traffic automation don’t seem to understand that it works with e.g. rail networks and air traffic networks because 1) it is effectively managed by a single entity, and 2) there are not an infinite number of unexpected planes in the sky or trains on the rails.

Guess we know who’s a Cylon.

A fluff piece, but has lots of shots of Rivians

I think that is a Kansas song title.

no charge-while-walking, no sale

At $299 I think they might have something more than a curiosity. $1,400 is crazy, but I guess you gotta start somewhere.

$1400 is only worth it if they make you able to do an actual Michael Jackson moonwalk.

For $1400 they should take you to the actual moon for your walk.

Yeah, but oxygen is an up-charge.

I’m sorry but I love this car. I love how fuckin ugly it is. If I had $100k I didn’t need I would totally get one.

Ok those are pretty cool and I love the concept. Watched the whole video, they only mentioned Tesla twice :). Lot going on with those under the hood per the video that I can understand the price but still think there’s not much of a market yet. I saw a few deal breakers beyond the price. 45ish mins of use per 1.5 hour charge. 4.2 pounds a piece so the whole without spending any extra energy thing is complete shit or they are defying physics and worth way more the $1.4k. Don’t like the whole double tap your heel to turn it off and walk up stars. Detect them stairs and turn off yourself super shoes because otherwise lawsuits incoming when my double tap fails and I fall 2.5 times faster down a flight. I still want a pair just to walk “around” people all day super smug because I’m faster and 3" taller now. That and they look kinda fun.