Electric cars, hybrids, and related vehicles

Remember, there’s no particular need to have a bonnet at all on an all-electric car. It exists as a crumple zone and to fit a frunk for some extra storage.

Well, they need somewhere to put the battery too.

And some links on info about the Model 3:

‘Tesla Model 3 pre-orders stack up as Elon Musk unveils lower-priced car’:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/01/tesla-model-3-pre-orders-stack-up-as-elon-musk-unveils-lower-priced-car

‘Tesla Model 3 unveiled: 215-mile range, 0-60 in under 6 seconds, delivered in 2017’:

Watching the video; first time really watching Elon Musk. Brilliant dude, but he seems a little flustered up there. Imagine if he had Jobs’ showmanship.

I would think since Tesla gave away their patents that other auto makers should be able to use the Tesla chargers if they designed their cars accordingly. Yes?

well the superchargers are free…so there is that. If you got free gas from a gas station I bet they would limit who could get it. Besides, the chargers not being patented means nothing. Its not a simple electric socket, there is communication between car and charger before power transfer takes place. Nobody can design their own car which gets ‘free’ power from teslas superchargers.

At least the infrastructure will be there. If other manufacturers can get their plug setup within the charging station (if Tesla allows) then the scenario will not be different to having a petrol, diesel, LPG pump.

It might work out well for Tesla if they lease the space to other manufacturers. It might work out horribly if other manufacturers decide to build their own stations.

I suspect that one charging solution will, eventually, win out. The market tends to dislike mutually exclusive competing solutions for the same problem.

Though if you consider diesel, propane, and gas. And high octane vs regular? Maybe a charging station could have multiple ports.

Sure, makes sense. Sort of like those all in one device chargers with several little connectors hooked up to the transformer.

I didn’t realize Tesla was allowing charging for free, either. I assumed there was some sort of charge associated with it (like you had a credit card linked to your car and some RFID identifier that let them ID your car). It would be interesting if they could work something like that out which would allow for cars linked to the owner of the charging station to charge for free or at a reduced rate, while others would have to pay retail (whatever that is) for the electricity.

We don’t have much public charging infrastructure here yet, but sometimes it’s included in the cost of parking. I think part of this discussion is the real cost of driving, even if someone else is paying. Though personal cost matters too.

In that context the solar powered Tesla stations are still sort of free.

One of the great big freedoms of renewable energy is that, to a certain extent, it can be a ‘free’ technology. It’s why there is so much push-back from the large multinational energy companies around it. Clean and ‘Free’, it could be one of the most liberating of modern technologies if we fully embraced it (ie pushed our governments to go for it). Tesla have been doing great on orders for the new car btw, which is awesome:

‘Tesla Motors receives $10bn in Model 3 pre-orders in just two days’:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/04/tesla-motors-sells-10bn-model-3-two-days

Quite a detailed look at a cottage-industry hydrogen car:

‘Riversimple Rasa review: Is this hydrogen car the future—or just a gimmick?’:

Dyson (the Hoover maker) is looking at moving into the electric car industry:

'Dyson’s electric car development could become ‘the next Tesla’:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/11/dysons-electric-car-development-could-become-the-next-tesla

Dyson could become the next Tesla motors as it develops a new electric car, according to a leading industry expert. Filed patents show the Dyson vehicle may use solid-state batteries, which would see the car’s range stretch to hundreds of miles and also be safer than current batteries.

In March, a government document revealed funding to help Dyson develop “a new battery electric vehicle”. The company declined to comment but in 2015 it said it planned to invest £1bn in battery technology and in October it bought solid-state battery company, Sakti3, for $90m, which founder Sir James Dyson said had “developed a breakthrough in battery technology”.

Solid-state batteries, yummy :)

That comes out sounding really odd to an American. Hoover is, of course, the much older manufacturer of vacuum cleaners and very much a competitor of Dyson.

The real question is what sort of wacky pseudo-futuristic high-concept clear plastic globular designs will be available for a Dyson car.

I am so not mad about the money we spent on a Dyson vacuum. Great machine.

Most analysis of cost per unit generated of electricity is calculated on the usable/expected lifetime of the generator that produces the energy. It already factors in that it’s ‘free’ once setup, but green energy still falls short in many areas because of the costs of setting up and maintaining the generating facilities.

Nuclear is essentially free, with a very long usable lifespan on a power plant. Because the setup and disposal costs are so high, it often makes no financial sense
to invest in it.

Ron, none of my family going back two generations have ever used a Hoover hoover, yet we call all vacuum cleaners hoovers.

In India, solar is cheaper than coal.

Solar panels are improving at the speed of technology, power plant efficiency improves very slowly. The only question is whether the switch to renewable clean energy happens in time to save the earth from hitting a tipping point, like the methane clathrates under the ocean melting.

Just sort of thinking out loud here, but if they used solid-state batteries, couldn’t the entire body of the car then be the battery?