Elemental - Pixar's Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water

Directed by Peter Sohn, (The Good Dinosaur) produced by Denise Ream, and featuring the voices of Leah Lewis and Mamoudou Athie as Ember and Wade, respectively, “Elemental” releases on June 16, 2023.

This looks like it could be a really fun world - the tech behind it seems incredible to me.

Full trailer.

That looks incredible. Fun story, seems like, as well!

Ed Asner’s last performance, too.

Same article posted the The Flash movie thread, but it goes here too:

“Elemental,” an animated adventure about opposites who attract, added a muted $15 million at the international box office for a global total of $44.5 million. Unlike “The Flash,” “Elemental” has been embraced by its audience, who awarded the film an “A” CinemaScore. So there’s a chance that ticket sales could recover even slightly in the next few weeks, especially since there isn’t much competition from family films on the horizon.

But there’s no sugar-coating the debut of “Elemental,” which landed by far the worst start in modern history for Pixar, ranking below some of its more forgettable attempts like 2015’s “The Good Dinosaur” ($39 million) and 2020’s “Onward” ($39 million). The animation empire behind “Toy Story,” “Up” and “Ratatouille” hasn’t been able to rebound from the pandemic, when several of its titles were sent directly to Disney+ and family audiences were trained to expect those movies at home.

I started watching this yesterday with my son. Very interesting that it’s an immigrant story. I’m about 20 minutes in, I think. Kind of an interesting concept. As shown, the city really is not well designed for fire, but more around the other elements. It makes sense that fire wouldn’t be welcome in a city like that.

We finished Elemental tonight. I really enjoyed it. The only slight disappointment to me was Fire and Water being able to touch for some inexplicable reason. The power of love? Other than that, I found the rituals and snacks and societies to be interesting and amusing and they supported the story really well.