Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

This has me interested in what they’re working on. That’s a very long development timeframe for a released game.

0 Likes

Thats because they are doing procgenned atmospheric planets.

0 Likes

Apparently there’s a button combo that I can accidentally press on my keyboard that automatically posts what I’ve written up to that point. One day I’ll figure out what that is.

Anyway, massive image spam incoming! Brace for impact.

I’ve been upgrading my Krait Phantom with some Guardian tech, which was a blast, but I recently got the itch to just get out there and go visit some cool sights. I just arrived at the Orion Nebula last night and I plan on visiting several others, and so far it’s been an amazing trip. I nearly didn’t get out of the bubble, being hyperdicted (for the first time) by two large Thargoid ships. That was an experience, I had no idea what was going on and thought I was done for, but they disabled me, scanned me, then left me alone. Apparently I didn’t have anything they wanted in my cargo hold. I did wonder whether my Guardian upgrades might cause offense, but fortunately not (as I was running on very light shields and would have been toasted in seconds). I mean I had been messing with a Thargoid Sensor from a Thargoid shipwreck a little earlier (including pinging it with the Discovery scanner, which shut down my ship! Ok, won’t do that again) but maybe a coincidence.

Anyway, here are a few highlights from the past week or two. I guess I should preface this with a warning that obviously these contain awesome shit that you might not have found yet, but it’s not like I don’t have a track record for doing that. Besides, there’s nothing else going on in this thread! :)

Exploring a Thargoid base. This was unnerving.

Getting a few spare parts from Dav’s Hope so I could unlock a corrosion-resistant cargo bay.

Activating energy beacons at a Guardian site.

Trying to find them all at night is a lot harder than it is during the day! But it was too long to wait for the sun to rise.

I parked my ship right next to the site and it was armed with pulse laser turrets, which did a fantastic job at blasting Sentinel missiles out of the sky. It was quite a lightshow that I didn’t ever manage to get on camera.

POWER ON!

OMG, this is awesome. +10 ly range on my Phantom! Now at 56 ly jump range. It can go higher, but I need to get my explorer rank to Elite status first so I can visit the founder world and get access to every possible juicy component.

Back in my trust Krait Phantom, time to head out into the black.

See ya later!

First stop, Witch Head Nebula (the one on the left).

What the hell? There’s a research station out here! And it’s inside an asteroid? Awesome.

I took some time to appreciate the views of a nearby ringed planet from one of it’s moons.

The Spirograph Nebula is amazing. Blue from the outside, but mostly green from the inside. That’s the Orion Nebula in the background.

A ringed metal world, with freaky lighting.

The rings were full of these bizarre crystalline structures. I love finding stuff like this.

I have no idea what these things are. If in doubt, blast it with a mining laser. Unfortunately (fortunately!?) nothing happened.

Heading out of the ring, I stumble into this gigantic megaship! I’ve seen these before in the bubble, usually under attack by Thargoids, but this was fully functional and had a thriving, mini ecosystem going on around it. I scanned it and found it had a network of research sites that it moved between.

Next stop: Orion Nebula…

0 Likes

Great update. I really should get into this game.

0 Likes

Now I’m sad all the SC money didn’t go into this game instead.

0 Likes

Heh. Its not as if elite lacks money. It lacks a strong author’s voice.

0 Likes

Krayzkrok seems to be doing ok generating his own content.

0 Likes

I think it’s something like Shift-Enter or Ctrl-Enter. I did it the other day then couldn’t fix it as I was on a train that had just gone into a tunnel.

0 Likes

Ok, let’s try this…

[edit] It works! CTRL+ENTER. Not sure how I managed that by accident, but there you go.

0 Likes

Welcome back krayzkrok! Were you playing Elite the whole time you were away from the internet?

(I mean, other than your work, of course, I just meant your spare time).

0 Likes

Content is already there, I’m just exploring it. ;)

I get the potential dislike for this game, because if you put a venn diagram of Elite next to Traditional Game (or even Traditional Space Game) there’d only be a small amount of overlap. I used to play Microsoft Flight Simulator all the time, not because it had a narrative or a story to follow, but because it allowed me to fly a freakin’ plane and explore the world. Elite taps into a similar vein (as the original did) where there’s a vast universe out there and you can go and explore it, but it gives you a whole lot more to do on top. You can grind yourself into oblivion with it if you want to, but I’ve avoided nearly all of that because I’d had a series of goals and set out to achieve them. Some people will try and unlock every single Guardian blueprint for example, which seems like a mighty waste of time! I’ve unlocked the three that I need and will likely use (for now) and it was glorious. Still, using the various companion apps and learning from others is really integral to getting the most out of the game. Not everyone likes that, but that’s the way Frontier have decided to go with it and I think it works extremely well - it’s my flight manual, in effect.

What keeps me going as well is the knowledge that there’s stuff out there that I haven’t found or experienced yet. That’s my motivation to continue, not feeling like I’ve found everything the game has to offer. I will get to that point eventually, but so far I’m having a blast. I also really like the community around this game; I’ve given up playing in Solo or Private Group now, I’m in Open constantly. There’s the potential threat of pirates (most of whom role play, and which I get kick out of dealing with), but the vast majority of people you meet are awesome.

Besides, I’ve never found a game with so much potential to look utterly glorious. It feeds the photographer in me.

Thanks @Rock8man! No, only when I had decent internet, which wasn’t that often, but I’ve been back for a week and slowly catching up with stuff.

0 Likes

That’s great @krayzkrok and you are right about a lot of stuff.

I have some issue with the way some of it was developed. Things like “powerplay” that took a lot of dev effort for very little fun gameplay would have been better spent making more stuff to find. Exploration is by far the most interesting thing about elite.

0 Likes

It’s hard to leave this area (Barnard’s Loop, and surrounds), it’s just a stunning place to fly around in and explore. I guess you could say it’s… visually stunning. (imagine I just inserted a sunglasses gif in here, for effect).

Inside the nebula, the colourful gases surround you. As you move further away its form keeps changing. Here it looks uncannily like an embryo.

Neutron stars legitimately scare me. They can smash you into pieces in an instant if you get too close, and if you fly into their plumes they’ll overcharge your FSD so quadrupling your maximum jump range. However, while you’re in there you get tossed around like a leaf on the wind (or a leaf in a hurricane more like) and your brain is screaming GET THE HELL OUT! MY EXPLORATION DATA! OH NO!

Black holes are a bit tamer by comparison. They are considerably freakier though.

How about discovering a particularly large supergiant and trying to take a photo of the scale of it, before realising that all the overheating warnings can’t be heard when you have the camera open! I toasted half my modules here, but fortunately I brought along an auto-repair unit. Phew.

I figured I’d get a bit further away instead.

This planet was really quite close to the sun! Surface temperatures of 1,200 Kelvin, I think it was, nice place for a vacation maybe. It was also orbiting so quickly I had to supercruise alongside it to get this shot.

Heading back to the relative safety of the Orion Tourist Center. Time for a martini on the observation deck.

0 Likes

Great screenshots as always!

0 Likes

A little more and I’ll be forced to reinstall Elite: Dangerous. As if I needed one more game to (re)play…

0 Likes

Those are great Krazy, keep us posted :D

0 Likes

That’s not something I’ve noticed before. Very cool!

0 Likes

You are amazing, krayzkrok! Thank you for sharing all your adventures!

0 Likes

Yeah, you make me want to dip back into this. It gives you so many wonderful locations to get lost in.

0 Likes

Delighted to see you having so much fun!

0 Likes