Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Ah, ok then. Never mind.

Less this (actually none of this).

More this.

Not really. You’ve always been better off doing a bit of light dogfighting (or at least missions with a risk of dogfighting) to earn money early on. Simple trading has never been a particularly sensible starting option, other than to learn the controls.

Squadrons are in game, or are we talking about something else?

Oh God right, they are, sorry. I forgot because they don’t actually do anything yet.

Wait I missed the opportunity to complain about Elite Dangerous? Well let me just say… kidding :)

It ended badly obviously for me and I wasnt happy, but in the words of Red Dwarf :

LISTER: Come on, as far as you’re concerned you had a love affair, right? Which was wonderful, yeah?
And for some reason that you can’t understand it all went hideously wrong.
Well, so what? Join the club, bucko. It’s just you, me, and everybody else in the world.

I am now in the nice place where I can come in here and am genuinely happy for all you folks who are enjoying Elite for the first time or still in that sweet spot where it fits your play style. I can never go back but its fun to see other folks enjoying the game.

But yeah @BrianRubin I hear ya man, oh what could have been. Ah well.

Join us in the Rebel Galaxy thread dude. I think you’ll be way happier there.

whoo boy! whoop whoop! (I think rebel galaxy is awesome, not just in itself, but also for elite)

I read there’s going to be a new newbie friendly zone and possibly better introduction. Is that our yet and is it any better?

We just got a Rift and i heard ED would be impressive in VR…

Day after tomorrow for the spring patch. Yeah its awesome in VR. Almost the best experience imo. Only thing better is terrestrial flight.

Cool, I’ll be sure to download it for the weekend. Btw, how does the cockpit UI work in VR? Is it possible to click virtual buttons or do you need to aim a cursor?

Its complicated… you can use a mouse, or buttons ona HOTAS or a gamepad. All a matter of setup and preference. The UI is very much optimized for VR.

Neither! There is no touch input, nor is there cursor aiming. You’ll be flying using a HOTAS/controller so most immediate stuff is mapped to that.

The myriad of other ship functions work like menus in most other console games - the controller moves the selection around and fire button chooses. Your gaze direction in VR determines which part of the UI you are actively controlling (it’s split up into a bunch of sections for navigation, ship, chat, etc).

I found Elite to be one of if not the best VR experiences. It works really well.

I played it with zero hassles using an xbox controller & oculus with the rare peek down my nose if I needed to hit a key, which was very rare.

For the simmer I think if you own a VR headset its a no brainer to buy Elite & IL-2.

If only they had built this as a single player game :/

That’s great! Glad to read that they helped you out, and the journey can continue.

Sweet! So glad they gave you that chance. I’m looking forward to more tales of your journeys!

sweet!

That is awesome! Screenshot too.
o7

As I would presume most people playing it as, with a glorified discord channel to keep things interesting.