Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

That is awesome! Screenshot too.
o7

As I would presume most people playing it as, with a glorified discord channel to keep things interesting.

I finally made it to the Heart & Soul nebulas. Whew. Of course I haven’t been playing continuously, but taking it slow and enjoying the journey. I had a bad dream about getting too close to a sun and being destroyed, but fortunately I woke up in merely a sweat.

189 jumps, you say? (actually, it was quite a bit more than that, because I took a very scenic route and kept getting distracted!)

Purple suns suggest that we’re not in Kansas anymore. “Not much hotter than a gas giant” says the description. Uh no, I’m not going to test that out.

This looks a lot more inviting! Well, maybe not considering those storms. This is Planet Earth in 150 years time, perhaps? No, it still has ice sheets.

You tend to get screenshots like this when you get too close to a star while scooping and crash out of supercruise. Then you get the heck out fast. Later in the journey this would not go so well for me.

Every so often you find a ridiculously photogenic scenario and have to screenshot the shit out of it. This was one of them - a low temperature T-tauri star with a planet in relatively close orbit.

Time to get the arty!

They say sunset is the golden hour. This is more of a radiation nightmare hour, but it’s pretty.

So hot.

Just one more photo.

Ok, one more.

Yes, ok, I’m leaving.

I am, honest!

No, that’s a different sun! It is. Stop bugging me.

See? I’m leaving. Look at how far I still have to go.

Planet Salmon. Home of the salmoniest salmon you’ve ever seen.

Father Ted perspective joke here.

They were pretty close though!

See?

As a scientist I feel compelled to check out signs of life. Mapping this planet revealed life signs, and I hadn’t seen any for a while. Turns out there were bacteria on gas vents. No giant space monsters, then.

What could be riskier than jumping uncomfortably close to the planet…?

…Arriving at a neutron star, that’s what!

This is as close as I dare get. These things are legitimately lethal.

We’re getting close to the lower edge of the galactic disc here, note the lack of stars.

Do I dare risk overloading the FSD and trying to boost through the star’s plume? Tempting?

Fuck no.

Aargh! Another one. They’re everywhere! This must be the neutron field someone was talking about earlier. I started hitting zero thrust as soon as I activated the FSD to reduce the chances of crashing into one.

Oh boy, here’s a white dwarf! Not quite as dangerous, but barely. Time to get out of here.

Ok, heading back towards my destination! Getting slowly larger.

Quite a few jumps later, definitely getting closer. The sense of progress with the changing sky is very compelling.

This was a tiny icy planetoid with massive rings, so pretty. No other reason for putting it here.

Ah yes, the final screenshot before I lagged out and plunged into that star.

Which turned out to just be a bad dream, so we’re on the last leg now.

Wheeee!

Holy shit, this place looks freakin’ awesome! This is the Heart Nebula.

I feel so far from home, but really in galactic terms we haven’t come that far.

Finally, we have arrived!

Plenty to explore, but ohhhh nooooo, that’s going to have to wait. I have a piece of paper here with a note, there should be an asteroid base around here somewhere. This looks like a suitable place for an asteroid base.

Yep, there is it!

Don’t crash into the damn wall or something stupid.

Phew! My exploration data. About 100,000,000 credit’s worth, and a bookload of first discovery systems, feel’s good. I can finally go and have a beer.

Wait? What do you mean you don’t sell beer here? NOOO!

That’s awesome dude, keep it coming!

Amazing! Thanks for sharing the journey.

That was all kinds of awesome. Glad that blowing up thing was just a dream!

So Fleet Carriers coming in December I guess.

Le meh.

“Personal Fleet Carrier” and “Command your own”. Does that mean they’ve changed their minds about individual ownership of the carriers? I thought they’d said they’d be owned by a squadron or something like that. Though I guess this is just the natural next level of money-sinking for players, so…

From what I’ve watched they are personal not squadron.

I loved Elite back in 1.2 (I played around March or so 2015) and had an absolute blast, playing enough to have a very well tricked-out Vulture. Recently, after wrapping Rebel Galaxy, I felt the urge to get back into Elite again so I converted my key over to Steam, pulled it down and lo-and-behold there was my Vulture and my account!

Too afraid to try and remember how to fly and crash my $“420k to insure” Vulture, I logged out, but now I see the Horizons expansion/pass is 70% off and only $9. Worth jumping back in for nine bucks maybe?

I guess. You get to roll around on planets, which is kind of cool even if just for the novelty. Can’t remember if Engineers are part of Horizons, but that’s probably worth the price of admission if you’re looking to trick out your Vulture. I hate the grind for them (at least how it was), but I do like the extra options to tweak and enhance my favorite ships.

It looks like Engineers is indeed part of the Horizons pack.

Or should I just fire it up and play a bit and save $9?

Oh come on, even for one evening of digging the planetary landing stuff its worth it.

I agree with @schurem that it’s likely worth the $9. Just getting the game reinstalled, getting out your HOTAS and refamiliarizing yourself with the controls takes a good while. If you’re willing to invest that much into it to start playing again, I think you’d get $9 worth out of landing on barren planets and driving around as well as customizing your Vulture.

Hey nice. Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking maybe the Horizon pass was worth that much just to get those landers and go explore barren worlds. Wait, that sounds really boring, unless there’s something on those planets. But you never know, maybe it’s really pretty.

Engineers are fun. Like a lot of things in ED, you can grind yourself into oblivion if you really want to, but you can also get a lot of good upgrades without resorting to that. Engineering is basically a skill tree for your ship, with various paths to take for key components. The Guardian content is also great if you like figuring out mysterious alien artifacts light years from anywhere, although it’s best done with some assistance from a guide. This also leads to unlock pathways for cool ship goodies, though these are a bit harder than the Engineer upgrades. Planets contain some good exploration incentives, open up the Thargoid stuff a little more, and of course come with spectacular views. For 9 bucks it’s worth it if you like the base game.

Heh, it has been so long since I played I forgot I bought a python and a fer de lance when I was looking at edsm.

Ah, the joys of not remembering what button retracts hardpoints since it has been 8 months, and voice attack won’t retract them either so the system ship you accidentally pinged gets to pop you at the tune of $4m. Made some of it back up on bounties afterwards though. Still is fun to fly around in this game. Seems like they have been making some little ui changes.

Oh that’s easy, it’s… er… damn, I seem to have forgotten as well. :)

For some reason my brain is telling me it’s “U”, but really brain, settle down.