Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

I never experienced the mining after they fixed it, but it truly used to be a slog (and take up an extraordinary number of ship slots).

I like how most space games handle mining: point the laser at the asteroid in question, the same laser vacuums it all up, then you go sell what you mined at ye old space trading post.

How many months later, Odyssey still looks like shit when exploring.
Plenty of people in denial it seems, saying “it is what it should look like”.

I’ll wait a year to rage again over it still not being fixed.

I’ve just given up on it entirely. It’s a far more peaceful life that way.

Whatever happened to that Elite kickstarter, anyway? Guess we’ll never know.

I don’t know why I even click on this thread anymore. Oh wait, yeah I do - @krayzkrok you got any cool new stories and screenshots?

Have you been playing, Dive? If you’ve had some fun experiences with spacelegs I’d actually be quite interested in hearing about them!

No, though I keep meaning to get back into it. I need to carve out some time to dedicate to a game like this, and what with working on Subnautica and a couple other smaller games I don’t think I can dedicate the attention it deserves.

My exploration partner moved on to the new version, so it’s a big split. It’s all political!

He sent me this screenie. Apparently the 70s public buildings objets that could be found around here were inspired by space exploration from the future!

Am a bit jealous, but also annoyed. Ach!

In case any console E:D players still care…

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/tb1y8o/console_update_from_david_braben_all_console/

… it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development

Well, I has a sad. I haven’t played in some time but always figured I’d get back to it, and I kind of liked having a console version to dink around in. But I guess there’s always PC, even if mine is pretty much a potato.

Remember when they cancelled offline just days before launch?

So no surprises now, I guess.

Yep. Mac version is also gone and VR support is going downhill.

I’m not surprised a console version of Odyssey is cancelled, but waiting this long after the Odyssey release to let everybody know? I really wonder what the development process for Odyssey must have been like for the developers at Frontier.

Maybe focusing on PC only allow them to make it a better game in the end?

Yeah, I didn’t think so either.

I booted it up a couple of days ago but the new version still makes planets look like ass from orbit -which is kind of an issue as an explorer at heart. Seems it is by design, which boggles the mind, given how gorgeous the rest of space is.

Is it just the Odyssey expansion that tanked everything? If one didn’t care about that too much, is the game otherwise in a decent place?

Which one disappointed you more ED or Stellaris?

The base game I enjoyed to chill with a friend, but I am guessing people hoping for a more intricate space gaming experience will most likely find it disappointing.

Elite, definitely. I was on cloud nine with it for a while. It was fun to fly by the seat of my pants, smuggling especially. Then they eventually nerfed out all the ways I was having fun, and one day I just sat there, staring at the cockpit with all this money in my account, wondering what was the point it all. After dozens if not hundreds of hours with the thing, I uninstalled it, and only have touched it once since to check out its VR, which they’re also discontinuing.

Stellaris just disappointed me pretty much from day one, so it was far less of a letdown than Elite in the end.

Yeah, Elite Dangerous was mesmerizing for a while. Flying around, enjoying the amazing sound design, was almost hypnotic. But then the illusion breaks and you realize how shallow it actually feels. I uninstalled ages ago and I have no desire to go back - I’d rather play the excellent X4, which more than scratches whatever itch I might have for Elite.

Stellaris was… weird? Paradox promised so much. One person there suggested to me that Stellaris would make me forget Sword of the Stars. And the first few hours of the game were actually promising, but it didn’t take me a long time to realize that it was a game that borrowed ideas from everywhere without understanding what really made them work. I never looked back.

I guess, in a way, Stellaris was less of a disappointment than Sword of the Stars 2. But oh well, it was sad anyway.

I would agree that the X games like X4 are better Elite games than Elite Dangerous. Even as buggy as they are, they’re fun single-player sandboxes that get the gameplay right, and what you do actually matters in the game.