Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Yeah PROFIT!!! Keep at it…the missions get better and better. Try to establish a “Base System” you always trade from and if you get “Friendly” with a faction, you see some doozy missions. Today I had an offer to ship 5 tons of Palladium for a whopping 120K ! And while flying it to the destination planet, I saw a REAL HUMAN tailing me… trying an interdiction I was thinking…talk about an Adrenalin Rush!

That’s one of my favorite parts about the game, the fact that it’s the little things that can be so exhilarating. :)

Now that’s a Whopper of a “One That Got Away” Story!!!

I just finished up a “One Last Trade Run Before Xmas” and was informed that the servers would be “shutting down for maintenance in 10 minutes”… I was so tempted to do one last REAL TIMED mission… Probably would have timed-out and ended up in limbo somewhere amongst the Cloud. Timed mission are so much fun because they often weigh against “Real Life” issues…Like Eating and Sleeping and Potty Breaks.

Yeah, I was gonna say… Telling a newbie to go FA off would be a recipe for disaster.

What does the flight assist actually do?

Flight assist on - craft goes in the direction you are pointing
Flight assist off- craft obeys laws of physics (mostly) and continues along it’s path of momentum until corrected by opposing thrust

Flight assist on - Star Trek flight
Flight assist off - Battlestar Galactica flight

There are some nuances to the FA off model and it is not quite true to real life physics, but essentially FA off will let you do things some very gnarly flight maneuvers and can be a huge advantage in combat if used effectively. But it is hard as hell to become proficient.

For an example, check out this vid linked earlier - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dHqX5cFB0

Towards the second half, note in particular how he moves around the station to keep the station between himself and his opponent, but while always facing his opponent. That was some really, really impressive flying.

Basically, learn and become proficient with FA on and then begin to experiment in toggling it on and off at various times. I have recently begun to toggle FA in combat to get a turning advantage after a jousting run, for example.

Edit - whoops, fixed stupid error pointed out by Mysterio below.

It makes it so that you’re always flying forward at the speed you’ve set, in the orientation you’ve set. I think there’s a Newtonian physics model underneath it all, but flight assist makes it so that the game flies like Wing Commander/Free space/Xwing/ world war 2 fighter planes type of flight model.

But I do like holding flight assist off so that I can keep flying in one direction while I turn around and face whichever direction I want as I drift through space.

Is this game playable with a K&M, or is a flight stick essential? I’m assuming controllers aren’t supported…?

Also, is it a PvE game with consensual PvP only, and available for purchase only from the developer’s website?

Thanks!

Did you mean to write this?

Mysterio: there is K&M support and controller support.

Had a good time in mumble with Harkonis this morning for a couple hours. It really helps to have someone to talk to bouncing off experiences and learning how certain things work faster than discovering them yourself.

Make sure to shoot Harkonis a PM for connection info if you want to join in with us on mumble! We need more folks to chat with :).

This is not a game which ganking will ever become a serious threat, it’s just too big…

Is this playable with keyboard/mouse or 360 controller?

Yes.5

So this is a question for whoever has an opinion on this, but does the manual docking do it for you?

There is an automatic docking?

So I thought I had the mouse thing sussed, but it turns out that’s only for stationary cannister hitting (which I’ve gotten quite good at :) ). I can also get quite comfortable flying around. But as soon as I try to actually fly and shoot in the second training mission, I’m either able to be nimble with reasonable mouse-mat coverage, but unable to aim, or able to aim but constantly running out of mouse mat when trying to maneouvre. I’ve tried switching x-axis to yaw, but that didn’t do it for me (roll just makes more sense, and the movement system is so far divorced from 1:1 movement/aim control as you’d normally get with a m/k one might as well try to learn it as is, also the amount of yaw is pitiful for this type of usage). I’ve also spent what must now amount to a few hours hours going back and forth with various different settings of sensitivity, deadzone and “power”, but I just keep hitting my head against the wall of the either/or situation I’ve just mentioned, there just doesn’t seem to be a “sweet spot” for me.

I think the main issue is lack of a tactile (hardware) “centre” with the mouse (similar to the reason why racing games are shit with m/k too). I’m sure some people can get the hang of it with a bit of practise, and as an emulation of a joystick, the system’s pretty clever, but it’s just not working for me. The other reason it’s not working is that I just can’t seem to get over nearly 20 years of muscle memory from playing fps-es and MMOs with mouse-steering, WASD, and 1:1 control over an avatar’s movement and aiming.

So, sadly, I’m just going to have to shelve this for the moment, save my pennies and get a joystick. Which I do want to do, as from what I’ve seen and experienced so far, it’s definitely a game I’ll love. But it’s just a bit deflating having looked forward to it for so long, gotten it as a chrissy pressy to myself, and now being stumped.

There IS a docking computer, but it’s maddeningly slow. At least in the Beta.

Oh I just meant in general. I’m having a blast with Elite, so it is really a minor issue, but I’m not a huge fan of having manual docking in a video game. It seems like an unnecessary hassle to have 1300 years in the future. They’ve figured out how to travel at multiple times the speed of light, but not how to have automatic docking as a standard feature on all flying car models :p

I was just wondering if there are any people that really, really dig manual docking for the sense of immersion of whatever reason they have.

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by “do it for me.” ;-) It doesn’t cause any physiological events or anything, but I do enjoy it. It’s not that hard to do with some practice.

To answer MrCoffee’s question, yes you can buy a docking computer, but I’ve heard it’s more likely to get you killed than just doing it yourself, and it’s slower.
Plus it takes up a valuable equipment slot. Not worth it IMHO.

And to Clay, yes, it’s playable with a 360 controller (more so than with m+k, IMHO), especially if you use it concurrently with the Voice Attack software or have a keyboard handy. Or you can assign one of your buttons as a shift and thus have two commands available for all the others.