Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

I honestly get annoyed with the scanner because – and this is my own fault – I forget to change the focus of the scanner from wider to narrower while in combat, so when I do that, it’s just a blob of icons and my target gets lost in there. When I remember to zoom the scanner in, it’s way better, so yeah, I’m whining about nothing really. ;)

The Adder is a great stepping stone to the Cobra, at least it was for me. Faster than the Hauler and almost as versatile, but with two more weapon slots. I think my first kill in the released game was in an Adder too. :) Very solid ship, just note the cargo hatch is a bit bugged (at least it was when I last flew one), so picking up cargo isn’t as easy as a Hauler.

Sigh, yeah Krok, sorry to hear about your loss. Every so often you gotta stop what you’re doing and turn those bounties in.

Yeah, that was a bummer, krayzkrok. Sorry about that. At first I thought you got away when your ship disappeared. I almost started shooting the feds to get them off you, but I still had those 140k in bounties to turn in myself and 110k from that one random pirate alone. I was going to help make sure you got in on that big kill, but it blew up at like 50% hull, probably from that other Anaconda random NPC dude targeting the pirate’s core system or something.

We were hoping more than one player could get a share of a bounty, but it appears only one person gets them. Sorry I was a little too bloodthirsty and should soften some up at times to allow others to get the kill shots.

On another note, I am absolutely loving this Viper. I probably made 500k in bounties just in the past day. I can’t wait to get back in, but have other RL stuff that keeps getting in the way. This game went from being one of my possible regrets for an $80 purchase earlier in the year to a very strong game of the year candidate for me once I got the time to dig into it at release.

Yeah re. the SA, if you’re a mouse user and you don’t have any fancy-schmancy TrackIR (or the other thing you can set up to use an ordinary camera with - FaceTrackNoIR), using RMB for Headlook is the next-best thing. It’s extremely intuitive (if you’re used to MMOs) and it really situates you as the avatar in the cockpit (if you’re used to MMOs), and enables you to quickly look around, both in combat (to see where something is going as it passes you) and when in Supercruise (to quickly look around to find your target star or whatever). You can even “invert” headlook if you want.

Only 2 things you have to bear in mind is it “snaps back” to forward facing when you let go of RMB (which is a good thing, means you have a physiological demarcation between “I’m looking around” and “I’m steering the ship/aiming”, if you make the “let go” of the button dramatic, best practice being to look forward again before snapping back to aiming so you don’t get much “travel” on the aiming-steering immediately after) and that you’ll have to find another button for Secondary fire (I use Mouse4, thumb).

This game is so good though, that I’m seriously considering getting some hardware for it, at least TrackIR/FaceTrackNoIR (so my looking around can be independent of my steering/aiming), and maybe even try out a joystick.

Having some trouble figuring out the galaxy map. Is it common knowledge that some systems cannot be looked up via the search?

I saw posts above about guys working out of Frey and I thought I’d head that way but searching for Frey on the galaxy map returns another system (Freyr or something).

Then, I was just tooling around with the filters and and I managed to get Frey to show up on the map and even plot a route to it but I then accidentally reset the plot to another system and now can’t find Frey again.

RedFive. I have not noticed that. I have noticed the search is completely unforgiving though. You have to get the spelling EXACTLY right for it to work. In particular spaces before or after numbers throw me all the time. This is the first game since DCS that I feel the need to keep a small flight pad next to my laptop to jot down notes.

Is there anyway to see on the Galaxy Map which systems you have visited before, etc?

In that big user made manual, they also did a compendium of developer comments, and there is one comment where he talks about exactly that. He said that they put the arrow in at one point, but all anybody looked at was the arrow from then on. No graphics, no nothing, just the arrow. He really wants your attention flicking from the main screen to the dashboard and back again. That’s why the arrow isn’t in.

Not going to happen. As deanco says, this was a very deliberate design choice by the developers to get people using the radar/scanner instead of just following an arrow around the whole time. They wanted situational awareness and keeping track of your target to have a bit more skill to it than following an arrow.

Yeah, since I’ve made that comment I did some research and read the same thing, and have to admit it makes a weird amount of sense. Ah well, I’ll adapt. ;)

You know what would be great? A way to tag asteroids that you’d already depleted in a belt cluster. It’s kind of hard to tell one from the other. BTW is it worth going for any but “Metallic” rings or belts, or are “metal rich” ones worth mining in?

I just tried this and it works for me; after typing the inquiry clicking repeatedly on the ‘go to’ arrow next to the search box cycles through matches. Frey was the second result when I did this.

My experience is that metallic belts are more likely to have expensive metals like gold, palladium and platinum.

I have a viper now with two lasers and two cannons. I have sunk about $60k each into a power plant and distributor but the lasers don’t fire properly. They never overheat so I am not sure what is causing the problem. Could just be cheap lasers. Any ideas anyone?

Positioning on the ship. Where are the lasers?

In range. Could be positioning. They are on the wings though. Didn’t have this problem with a sidewinder.

Is it the bottom guns on the viper? You have to be straight center to shoot with both of them.

Straight center? You mean I can’t be pitching to either side? That makes sense. Do you have the same problems with the cobra?

Yes, on the viper the problem are the medium slots, on the cobra its on the small slots because they are on the wings.