Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

I think you need a wake scanner to follow wakes through hyperspace, but not to scan? I mean, you can scan and follow wakes to supercruise without one right?

I think you need one to get that wake data. Or at least you do for engineers materials. I assume its the same for this.

There’s a system nearby with a good space station that can do outfitting, it seems, so you can always grab a wake scanner there.

Sadly, I didn’t play as planned because of Nep-nep. Looking forward to tomorrow though.

Just a heads up on Orcus Crag. Outfitting there is locked down for me. Also man does jumping 15ly a hop suck after running around in the dbx, especially with the little scoop my cobra has. Re-reading rhamorium’s post I see it is a station in another system where people should go, so never mind the warning. It must not be in databases yet though, because the nearest thing I’m seeing is 149ly (Hinz Hub in Ngobe) in eddb.io.

On my journey back to Orcus today I did go through the system where I found the paired earth worlds:

http://imgur.com/53XqcJ8

It is hard to see the other here, but it is about 1 ls away in front of my ship. A shot when I approached it:

http://imgur.com/jmnA2K4

“The Return” is to launch sometime in Q3. Thargoids are comin’!

Yeah. Woo. New CZs, but instead of the never-ending charlie foxtrot going on inside those, we’ll have never-ending charlie foxtrots of Thargoids vs. Humans.

Yes, FD has earned my deep cynicism. There is no time in the past where they have chosen not to take the path of least resistance.

I know I’m excited. Very. Excited.

I love this game but I am very underwhelmed. Happily I have a great game to play regardless so maybe there will be something of interest in the Thargoid thing. But I was really hoping for new game mechanics or things to do or hell a new galaxy.

Anyway we shall see. But shooting Aliens is of zero interest to me. Hopefully there will be other stuff that comes along with it.

My thoughts exactly. Right now I feel no compulsion at all to play in the universe, despite how great a spaceship sim it is.

So is that the main thing coming in 2.4?

Apparently. Although ObsidianAnt visited Frontier and said they were going to invest in core gameplay as well. Whether thats 2.4 or not is TBD.

I guess we have to wait and see. I cant shake the feeling Frontier have strung out this alien story thing for longer than it can sustain though. Its a bit frustrating.

What have they been doing for the last year+?

To be fair to them The Engineers and Multicrew + fighters are pretty big items.

Its just annoying that the last two were purely focused on combat (and in part PvP) which is a shame because with just a little more work they could have been amazing for trade, exploration & mining as well.

But yeah development feels like it has slowed to a crawl as they get more and more invested in this story stuff. Which seems of little interest to most players I know.

The frustrating thing for me is that this pretty much sums up every single feature Frontier has implemented in Elite. They’re full of good ideas, they just don’t iterate, refine, or improve features. Instead, they launch them with glaring holes/problems and then move on to something else.

It’s doubly frustrating when they point to the lack of player participation in various systems as the reason for not investing any resources into it. Well no shit, guys, perhaps if you fixed some of the major problems then more people would be utilizing it…

Seriously- take space mining for instance–it’s insanely fiddly. You’ve got to make sure you have about 12 different components installed before you venture forth. No wonder no one does it.

Hell yeah. Can you imagine how awesome polished mining would be fully fleshed out? Give a reason to go out there into the big black and mine for rares. Hell why not add ground mining? Feed into a nice big crafting system?

The crazy thing is I genuinely think a lot of players would pay for a mining expansion or an exploration or trade expansion. I doubt many people would hand over money to buy a Thargoid expansion, I mean, whats the benefit? More things to gank you? I dont need that. I just want more cool stuff to do in the Galaxy.

I dont need more things out there trying to stop me doing cool stuff, I just want more cool stuff to do and I dont mind them charging me for it. In fact I wish they would.

Why can’t the mining be like Jumpgate? Point, shoot, mine. Awesome.

God dammit.

It most definitely needs to require a lot fewer distinct components. As it stands, you need:

Mining lasers
A refinery
A prospector limpet controller
A collector limpet controller
Limpets
…am I forgetting something?

Why can’t we just mine ore and take it to the refinery economy stations, for instance?
Or forget all the limpet bullshit and just have the lasers suck the stuff up in the beam like in most games. And let our regular scanners work for figuring out what asteroids contain. Keep the onboard refinery, fine.

Amen, Brother.

Exactly! It’s so needlessly complicated. This isn’t “Immersion.” This is “Work.” I already have a job, Frontier, and it’s less convoluted than your mining.