Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

For sure, but I think it’s the correct direction for development to take. The devil’s in the details, so we’ll have to see what the implementation looks like (and it’s been the implementation that Elite has struggled with all along).

I really wish I could graft this game onto another game where you could walk around, that had highly varied environments. For me, this game was an amazing ‘take off and land at a station’ simulator. It really does get the feel of doing something like that, and for me it’s highly convincing.

Given the setting, you could literally have any possible environment to travel to and explore. If this flight model was tacked onto a game world I could get out and explore, I’d probably never play anything else.

I just want to combine this game, minecraft, the long dark, and everquest all in one game, is that too much to ask?

It’s another one of those ‘million miles wide, 2 inches deep’ games for me.

So Star Citizen then?

Game, not jpeg factory!

Its potential good news. That is exactly what the game needs. I guess we shall see.

How can you say that’s exactly what this game is when we don’t know exactly what “that” is other than some vague wishes and hopes?

The details matter for sure, but as far as goals, they’re what the game needs right now. Badly. It doesn’t need new systems or features to be rolled out, it needs all the half-baked features to be fleshed out, expanded upon, and improved. That’s what they’re saying they want to do.

They could utterly drop the ball on it, but I’m all for hearing about how they want to make the ocean deeper, not wider.

I mean, put it this way. What if they came out and said that the next updates were all going to focus on bringing loot boxes to the CQC arena mode? Even without details, I know that’s not a direction I want them going in.

In part because Obsidian Ant during his visit to Frontier last week mentioned the same and came away pleased with what he was told.

Sure its all wishes and rainbows until we get this silly alien nonsense out of the way but I have some hope.

Definitely more than I. I hope it’s fulfilled.

X3:TC (or better, X3:AP) is awesome and one of the best experiences in space gaming I ever had, warts and all. I still don’t understand why @BrianRubin doesn’t like it, but everyone has flaws.

I bought this yesterday without planing to, I still have fond (if vague) memories playing Elite on an old Apple at a friends house.

Anyway I started doing the tutorial missions and I’m confused. The first one was simple enough but I can’t figure out the 2nd mission (going to Azeban). I’m supposed to come out of hyperdrive at the City (or is it the station? the voiced instructions seem to contradict the written log). After a few tries I managed to come out just on top of it, but the tutorial lady tells me I’m too fat away. I got into the station but I’m still prompted to engage hyperdrive.

I suppose I Should just give up on the tutorial and dive into the game. Any advice how to get started with this.

Azeban City is likely the name of the space station. I haven’t played the tutorials, so can’t offer any advice beyond that.

When you begin the game, you’re in the starting Sidewinder. It gets replaced for free if you get blown up, so don’t be afraid to learn by trying (and dying).

You have to drop out of supercruise when the blue ‘safe disengage’ text is on-screen. Otherwise I don’t think it will let you progress.

It may also be a bug though. I saw a thread here where a ‘verify game cache’ fixed it.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/359320/discussions/0/142261027571021977/

ha ha you’re trying to learn ED for the first time

Well they tried to make it easier, the game links to a bunch of beginner videos and there’s quite a few voiced tutorials in the game now.

But yeah - it’s a complicated game. :)

I don’t know if it’s the issue with your tutorial mission, but here’s a general dropping-out-of-supercruise primer;

Generally in supercruise if you’re in the blue zone on your throttle indicator you’ll decelerate enough to be able to land on top of your target. Just wait till it tells you it’s safe to disengage (under 1,000K distance and 200km/s speed) and press the button. This can be a bit slower if you’re going long distances in supercruise, so a good rule of thumb is to ensure that the time-to-target stays at six seconds - any less and you’ll overshoot. So, generally, go max throttle until the TTT gets down to single-digits, then pull back on the throttle gradually until it hits six seconds, and hold it there until you get the all clear to disengage. If you’re going to a station, it’ll usually drop you about 10 clicks out, you need to be 7.5 to get docking permission

Has anyone tested whether sticking to 6 is actually quicker than going flat out and looping when near the target to slow down?

In my experience it’s slower. I think you can go a bit quicker by using the mass of a planet to slow you down more rapidly, but I find it’s not really worth it.

I think 1/3 throttle gets you to a constant 6s once you reach that eta. Maybe it’s 2/3.