Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Anyone tried the PS4 version of this? I’m tempted to get it, largely just to support the devs, but also because I’m finding it difficult to spend time in front of the computer.

Far as I know it’s fine. Not nerfed in any way and you play on the same server as the pc and Xbox people. Don’t know about the HOTAS situation on ps4 or VR.

I can answer those - no PSVR at least yet, and only one HOTAS for the PS4 - goes for about $100 and is apparently ok.

I find Elite plays great with a Dual Shock or Xbox controller so you will be in good shape.

Huh. Looks like that Tencent investment means Braben no longer has a majority stake in Frontier.

Why would he do that…

Money.

retirement from entertainment software bullshit

Because he’s checked the “Mid-life crisis: create game that rivals what I did in my more creative youth” checkbox.

I just a wish a few more of my age peers would check that box, or, better yet, just scratch it out.

Just got the Oculus Rift (yay!) and I have a stupid question: how do I run ED in VR mode? I’m using the Frontier Launcher and there’s no VR option (I do see “Oculus Touch” under controls in the game itself, so I know the game sees my Rift). When I put my headset on, all I see is the Oculus screen telling me Elite is still loading or somesuch.

Do I need to install it on Steam instead?

According to this article you need either steam or oculus version. You can get a key from Frontier.

Unless things have changed, you don’t. I run it just fine from the Frontier launcher.

I re-installed from Steam (had to grab Horizons Steam key from Frontier website) and all works well.

Elite has two versions right? The base game and Horizons. Is either better suited for VR?

I don’t think there’s any difference between them in the VR department.

Is Horizons what adds some kind of planet rover? Is that any fun in VR…?

Frontier version is best. Why run an extra launcher when you don’t need to? :) You just need to set it to use HMD in the in-game settings.

• Graphics/3D/HMD (headphones or speakers)

I note Oculus Home now detects and adds library icons for any compatible non-Home apps that you run. So now my Frontier-launced Elite is launchable from Oculus Home as well!

Correct. And flying low over planet(oid)s, landing, and driving around is pretty sweet in VR.

They should integrate with Subnautica somehow, maybe when you try and land on a water world :)