Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

That’d be awesome! So when you dive under water, all of a sudden your performance tanks and the UI screws up! ;)

Played around with ED in VR last light. I’ve always enjoyed ED as an immersive space sim, VR takes it to a whole new level. You literally feel like you’re sitting in the cockpit of a spaceship. You can look around 360 degrees and check out the entire interior of your ship, with all the blinking lights and spaceship doodads. Quite an amazing experience.

Only gripe is that the graphics in the distance are a lot less sharp and crisp compared to a modern 2D gaming monitor. It’ll do for now until the next-gen VR technology arrives. There’s probably a few tweaks I can make to improve it (if the 1070 can handle super-sampling).

Also, the game initially thought I was standing up rather than seated, so all the ship controls were too high. There is a “reset HMD” option and the hotkey is F12. So I slid my headset up slightly to peak at my keyboard, stabbed at the F12 key, and all was well! Even the in-game HOTAS was sitting exactly where mine are on my desk. So sweet.

I downloaded Voice Attack and plan to set that up as well. Might as well go all the way!

Keep in mind that if you’re playing via Steam, that reset key is also taking a screenshot. Going back through my gallery of resets in ED is pretty funny.

I found a few of the ships that have an elevated cockpit (like the Type-9) to be a little vertigo-inducing if I look over my armrest. Very cool stuff.

i do love elite but you guys should try a terrestrial flight sim such as DCS or il2 in vr. its the bees freakin knees.

I’ve tried Aerofly 2 and plan to load up DCS soon. I don’t think I own IL-2 (yet). And yeah, that “inside the cockpit” feeling you get from VR is truly gaming nirvana. I’m loving it.

Great to see another convert! The feel of being in the cockpit is really something special.

Only gripe is that the graphics in the distance are a lot less sharp and crisp compared to a modern 2D gaming monitor. It’ll do for now until the next-gen VR technology arrives. There’s probably a few tweaks I can make to improve it (if the 1070 can handle super-sampling).

Yeah this is where that extra gpu grunt helps, as supersampling does stabilise a lot of the shimmeriness. And why people tend to prioritise supersampling over graphical level of detail (with frame rate first of course).

But still, resolution is the biggest current limitation - though I’m sure you’d agree it’s still good enough for a first attempt, and better than waiting a few more years for the next!

Also try a driving sim, like Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, or Project Cars. :)

This is absurdly cute.

Going on a long walk, at least to the far edge of the galaxy perhaps following an arm around.

Already seen some fun sights out here.

Beautiful pix Rod, thanks for that. And they say every planet in elite is beige. huh.

There’s a new AquaNox coming soon. Maybe get that?

Having played the last one fairly recently, I suspect not :)

I got the cheapest Elite to give it a go. So far I’ve landed :/

Did a double take when I saw the reward on this mission… then I saw the destination distance… yowza! That’s not going to happen in my 20ly jumping Dolphin.

I’m looking at getting a voice pack in time for the new update and have a couple questions. :)

• Do all the packs have the same functionality?
  • I’m guessing the more famous ones typically won’t receive as timely (or any) updates to take advantage of new game features? I read something about Astra getting updates first?
  • Any idea about all the ‘classified’ voice actors? I’m guessing that means they’re nobody famous, like the named ones?

Basically I’m considering Astra, Verity (which is the same voice as the base game computer), and/or Eden.

The packs definitely do not have the same functionality. Many have similar base functionality. Some add on additional things. Some are obviously missing basic functionality (Ship’s Cat?). Some haven’t been updated with newer functionality.

Astra does seem to be very well supported for updates. That’s why I purchased that one. There’s something to be said for purchasing Astra plus another, since you can set up a multi-configuration where you can switch back and forth or allow a pack to handle a subset of the commands.

I think the classified voice actors are all computer generated. I could be wrong.

Thanks, I might buy Astra then and consider another once I’ve tried it out for a while.

Astra is ‘classified’, so from what I’ve heard in the video samples they’ve done a pretty good job if it’s a computer generated voice!

Fuck that man, get Vasco, because it’s Brian Fucking Blessed.

If it still works, try entering “CREW50” on checkout. It’s a discount code for 50% off when you buy two packs.

Also, someone created a handy Astra cheat sheet you can download here.

Code doesn’t work unfortunately.

If I wanted to be yelled at for being incompetent I’d go play PUBG… ;)

(disclaimer: I do love the man, just would prefer a nice female voice in the cockpit. Also I think a voice I know really well from elsewhere would break my immersion.)

Sigh, I guesss that’s fair.

patch day tomorrow. not really excited at all, but the 20kly route planner is nice.