Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

If only she could make a microtransaction to get the extra fuel! PROBLEM SOLVED!

Or pay $500 for a JPEG of a space fuel tanker!

Now that is some emergent gameplay.

You can plot long-distances by scoopable stars now, so I’m wondering how someone can run out of fuel?

Women drivers.

My understanding is they left the galaxy in an attempt to set a record, but miscalculated their fuel use for the attempt, and ended up stranded.

Didn’t run out of fuel jumping, she ran out of fuel by leaving her computer on in supercruise mod for a long time to reach those 11ly away from the star since she couldnt jump anywhere else.

Using your ship normally and doing supercruise also uses fuel but it’s so little you will never pay attention to the usage.

I own the base game, bought it on release and haven’t played much in the past year. Never bought the expansion, which is now on sale for $15 (its called Horizon season pass). If I jump back in, is the expansion must-have? I play solo only. Mostly just fly around and try to trade and make cash. Are planetary landings a good addition?

Yeah you will want it. It expands your options for trade significantly and also give you the ability to complete many more passenger and other missions. Its a good expansion while not technically a must have I cant imagine playing without it.

Edit: Oh and all the Engineers are on planetary bases and you will be engineering your ship at some point so yeah.

So, Beyond is out now and I’m planning to jump back in to ED this weekend to check it out and make a bit more progress. I never got very far with the Engineers before, preferring to just do dogfights with my unupgraded Vulture. Given the changes to them, what should I be doing first now to get on the ladder?

The change to Engineers sounds good. I got so sick and tired of micromanaging my Materials inventory to stay under the tiny cap all in order to make repeated sacrifices to RNGesus for complete and utter crap.

I don’t know enough about the specific changes to tell you how best to get started, but do report back with your thoughts on Beyond. :)

I don’t do combat but the new engineer system is ok. The experimental effects are kinda cool but tbh the whole thing is really just a sideways step from the old engineer system.

Unfortunately they are still spending a bunch of effort on the Thargoid & Guardian stuff, but so far at least it seems completely ignorable which is good.

Everything else about the new patch is decent though, new planets are nice and the mission stuff is very cool indeed.

If you have a spare minute would you mind elaborating a bit? What’s changed with the missions?

They added new types (like bulk delivery) plus you now get to pick your rewards. I will say trading looks a lot more interesting in the new update I intend to play around with it over the weekend after I get back from the latest exploring expedition. Oh and you can now do wing missions with others, which makes groups like Mobius a little more tempting.

https://i.imgur.com/E8U4hPs.png

I guess it is time to break out the Lakon and make some money

I’m definitely interested in the new Material Traders feature of Engineering. If it can get me out of scanning wakes, which is about as exciting as watching grass grow, I’ll be happy.

All the trades are higher to lower rarities. So if you are trying to get a rare wake then having a thousand common ones wont help. But the other way around will, so you can trade in your rare ones for common. So its kind of a backwards designed feature. I mean it CAN be useful if you have more rares of a certain kind and need some extra middling materials, which happens, so there is that.

I switched from the VR version to the flatspace version to have an easier time working out how to play. And the flat version has made me motion sick :/

I’m not enjoying the experience though. It seems like not much game padded out with arbitrarily awkward maneuvering that my phone could handle in real life. My horse in Assassin’s Creed is smarter than my spaceship here.

Piloting, even the little details, is the core of the game. If you don’t enjoy the flying enough to play for that reason, I doubt you will like the game. Because in terms of game design and satisfying game loops, the game is pretty poor.

The game is made for types like me, who get a satisfying game loop out of taking off, flyihng around and landing a simulated craft.