Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

I love you guys.

Exactly. There’s enough negativity in real life, I don’t want to dwell on it my spare time as well. For example, I could have been very negative about BioWare and their latest games considering how much I have enjoyed their earlier titles. But I’d rather be positive about Pathfinder: Kingmaker and leave the BioWare threads alone.

Guys, I have tons to be positive about. Have you SEEN the space game space of late?

But this is a big player in this space, so…yeah…

Thanks!

Anyone know of a decent but cheap tracking IR system?

I use the original version of one of these. It’s great.

https://edtrackerpro.mybigcommerce.com/

EDTracker is indeed a solid product which solves a lot of the issues with IR-based tracking. It’s gyroscope-based, however, which means you only get 3DoF—rotation only, not translation. Translation’s really only important for e.g. DCS, though, where you often need to crane your neck to look at some control hidden behind some other cockpit object.

If you don’t need translation, then EDTracker is the peak of the price-performance graph.

Thanks, but what is DCS?

I looked at EDTracker and it looks like just a small box? Not sure it comes with a headset? Sorry, I’m clueless about this stuff.

Paging mr @schurem

Digital Combat Simulator, the one everyone’s always talking about in the air combat sim thread.

That’s correct—you clip it to your existing headphones. It’s a box with gyroscopes in, so it can work out which way it’s pointing relative to a given starting point. (Usually, you press some key binding to say ‘center here’.)

Before I got my Rift, I had an EDtracker. I velcroed it onto a baseball cap.

I have a TrackIR (not even sure which version) that I haven’t used in ages.

Thanks folks. Very helpful.

Brilliant!

If it still works and you want to unload it, let me know!

I tried that with mine, and it flopped around too much. Bought a cheap headset with a wide and relatively flat headband, and velcroed it to that instead. Was much more stable.

Started this up again for the first time in nearly two years yesterday, and after getting my HOTAS setup and remembering what the hell I needed to do to dock and stuff, I had a lot of fun trying out the FSS and mapping features. Took my Diamondback Explorer out to the edge of the bubble, mapped for about half an hour to get a hang of it, and came back with a few million (making me feel a lot safer than the 1.2m I had left in the wallet vs my 500k rebuy. I think this has got at least another 30 hours to get acquainted with the “new” content, even met my first engineer (gonna get that FSD cranked).

So I reinstalled this. I’m part of the Veloxi group but I think there was a “wing” or “squad” thing that was added to the game since…?

Wings are temporary, you only make them per session.

Well, they created something since. Like a clan or something that you can become part of? You gave it a different name and everything… not sure what it was. Though as you’re not playing I don’t know if it makes much sense be a part of it, unless other people from Qt3 are in it…

They do plan to add squads, but they’re not in yet.

Is E:D at the level where I can load it up and start working as a pilot for one of the factions - with missions, rising in ranks, becoming a wing commander facing up against other factions in giant space battles… or will I still need to transfer 6 ‘items’ of oxygen from station 1 to station 2 to earn 10%, repeating this 1000 times so I can transfer 60 items, and after a few weeks buy a pew-pew ship to go fight random battles or get interdicted in space and killed?

Ah, ok then. Never mind.