Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

That is why I have voice attack + an HCS Voice pack. :) It remembers everything for me. There still are some hotas things I have to remember, but a lot of those are still muscle memory. The HCS Voice packs ship with a handy reference pdf as well that I can look over and quickly find a voice command if I’ve forgotten what it is.

Has anyone played around much with the new(ish?) commodities market interface? I haven’t done anything besides sell off some things I’ve mined, but it looks like now it is capable of doing things in game like finding you a location where you can sell a good you are buying.

VR-related question. I’m considering picking up an Oculus Rift for this but prefer to be sitting and use a controller. I assume this is still an enjoyable way to play the game? I’m more interested in the visual immersion of VR rather than the arms etc.

I imagine pretty much everyone sits and uses a controller or hotas when doing vr.

It’s the only way to play, as Elite does not have support for touch controls.

The yaw on my t.16000m is all messed up again, so stuck with trying to figure out flying with an xbox controller. Basically doing touch and goes with a sidey.

It seems that finding fcs sticks on their own is fairly rare these days, with most people just selling the throttle + fcs pack or the dual fcs pack. I did manage to find some at bhphoto so I might break down and buy another. I might even splurge on the dual back just to have one in reserve since I can reverse the left hand one with the parts on the one I have if they don’t ship those with the parts for reversing them.

Sounds like it may be a design problem with the stick.

That Reddit thread says the yaw axis uses a potentiometer. Is that true? Thustmaster’s marketing led me to belive it was using Hall Effect sensors.

Yeah, I pulled it apart last night. Pulling it all apart and putting it back together seems to have at least temporarily made it stop trying to yaw to the right all the time. We’ll see how long it lasts.

Here is a pic someone posted online of the part:

I read up to the part where he mentioned soldering, and started skimming after that. A couple of years ago I took apart my X52 stick to clean the twist-axis pot, which started spiking badly. While opening it up I snapped the plastic spindle that held the trigger in place, which I had to superglue back together, and then nearly broke the grip trying to reassemble it afterwards. Why do companies make these sticks so hard to maintain?

If you’re looking for a replacement stick, check out the VKB Gladiator. I believe it uses the same contact-less sensors as its more expensive Gunfighter siblings, which could make it the only stick in its price range with no pots.

Y’all motherfuckers need Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2s in your damned lives.

There’s no force feedback with modern games though, right?

Doesn’t matter, stick is still the best there is.

I threw my in the trash many years ago. Please forgive me @BrianRubin.

The t.16000m has worked pretty well, and I’m not sure there is anything better in that price range in production. I’m seriously considering buying the 2 stick package just to have backup. The vkb stuff looks nice, but it is in the warthog price range and I just don’t play enough to warrant that.

All of the other VKB stuff is pricey (and hard to find), but The Gladiator Mk II runs about $80-100.

edit: Which still isn’t exactly cheap I suppose, but it’s all relative.

It looked like it was lacking in functionality compared to the t.16000m and other models. It seems like it would be great for something like il2

Right, not much in the way of switches and buttons. I passed on it for that reason too.

Can you spray some contact cleaner into the pot without having to completely open it up like the guy on Reddit did? Could be at least a temporary fix.

I think the only way you will get at the yaw pot is by taking the handle apart, which isn’t too bad. The trickiest part I ran into was these little membrane switch things that sit between the switches at the top and the PCB. To get it to stay in place on the bottom of the switch as I was putting it back in I ended up putting a tiny dab of Elmer’s glue.

Me too, because some drunken guest managed to somehow snap the handle off. They’ve never been invited to return. ;)

Oh God that’s horrible!

I’m sure the judge was quite lenient at the hearing concerning that person’s untimely and rather grizzly demise?