Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

I’d like your post if I could.

The only thing that would save me when I next jump back in is voice attack.

There’s little to nothing about the game that is a MMO. It’s just a mediocre game (personal opinion) that has an online component. I don’t think the engineers stuff has anything to do with the fact that it can be played in MP online, it’s just… grindy. MP doesn’t really interact with the Engineering system at all in any way, from my recollection.

Stuff like this scares me. What is exploration gameplay? Going to a new place and just seeing it?

E:D could have had a thousand procedurally generated scenarios by now – missions that trigger when you get close, and require you to shoot up certain ships, protect certain others etc. That’s low-cost effort – you make a mission with existing assets, and it seeds around the galaxy. Instead, they keep the galaxy mostly empty. Why?

It is a must have.

It probably isn’t very impressive to anyone who knows what they’re doing, but (after a few failed engagements I had to run from) I managed to take down my scariest assassination target yet: a Competent level Fe de Lance! This was quite a challenge for my Imperial Courier (especially since a couple of times he ran from me when I got his hull down), given the Fer de Lance much bigger, pretty manauverable and very heavily armed and armoured.

Eventually I nailed it with a lot of heatsinks, good manauvering thruster usage to stay on his tail, and focusing on using my rail gun when his shields were down, forgetting the lasers entirely.

Sorry, I’m always gonna think it’s bullshit that, to make the most out of a game, one needs to rely on a third-party resource. Fuck. That.

So Brian, could you show us on the doll where the Bad Game touched you?

Oh god, let’s not start this again shall we?

Yeah if players are not allowed to criticize ED’s many disappointments and failures then we should probably start accusing ED defenders of being sock-puppets I guess.

Thats the next stage right?

Defenders accuse critics of being hysterical then critics accuse defenders of being paid off.

I guess we may as well cut straight to it.

I just find it fascinating that people have the need to complain again and again about games they’ve (I’m assuming) stopped playing a long time ago. Of course, this happens not just in this thread and not just in this forum, it’s everywhere.

Personally I stop tracking threads about games I didn’t enjoy and don’t think more of them. Weird?

Sure. Criticizing a game on a gaming forum in its dedicated thread is soooo weird. Gaslighting a game’s critics again and again ad nauseam however while attacking the poster never rebutting the posters criticism is perfectly fine.

Come the fuck on. I was just jesting. I know why Brian hates on E:D. It’s a valid reason. He’s disappointed, game could (and should!) have been so much more than a grindfest. Jaded gamer that I am, and optimist, for me the glass is half full. Full of stars!

I wish it were possible to mute only certain people and only for certain threads. I don’t understand why this thread seems to inspire beating the hell out of a dead horse that’s long since been rendered into glue, but once upon a time I felt that there were still pearls of interesting info to be found in this thread among the oceans of shit. I’m rapidly reaching the end of that time I believe.

I really dont see the problem with ex players discussing why they left. Its not like any of us are in here discouraging new players or demonizing the developers. Most of us are actively helpful.

We want people to play the game, its a great time until its not a great time. Like any game.

Its fun to talk about why we may have left and criticize its flaws with fellows posters however. If not here, then where? Is it really so much bother to ignore critical discussion?

p.s. I am happy to start the “Elite Dangerous retired Commanders” thread but I suspect the mods would immediately re merge it and be annoyed I had wasted their time doing so.

Also the game is getting interesting updates. There’s a (very slim) chance it’ll evolve into something with wider appeal.

Oh I know, I’m not a fan of the those other games either.

There are a lot of good points about the game. The sense of scale is unmatched, as is the sense of piloting a spacecraft (apart from the concessions to gameplay re: limits to maximum velocity in “normal space”). The sound design and the original soundtrack are perfect as far as I’m concerned. I had a good bit of fun with it till I worked my way up to the Asp and kitted it out properly. I love community goals (don’t know if they’re still a thing).

All that is without having experienced it in VR, which by all accounts is incredible.

If they could take what they’ve got and make it a full MMO with player-driven content and an economy like EVE’s, OR if not that, create enough story/NPC content (within some core part of “the Bubble” anyway) to make the single player game more motivating beyond gaining rank/money/ships, it would be something amazing.

But hey, at least they’ve had their game out for nearly six years, while Star Citizen is still a huge boondoggle and may come out a day before the heat death of the universe.

My God, it’s full of stars!

Gorgeous, innit? Good job on the photography mate!