Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Well I’ve made a fair amount of money on mining:

I could keep going, but last night was particularly fruitless despite being in two pristine ring systems with zero population, although not - I realised - that for from Sol, so I might need to move further towards the edge of the bubble. Still, I fancy a change of pace for a bit, so I’m going to kit my Phantom out for exploration and go check out this Guardian stuff.

Keep those asteroids warm (er, cold) until get back!

Unexpectedly, I crossed the 1B credits from trading threshold last night and received my first ‘Elite’ status. I think that marks my retirement from mining as with the status came a system pass to the founder’s world and the 10%-off everything discount offered there. I think I’m going to buy a new AspX for deep space exploration (no need to refit my current mining ship when mining has provided me with such bounty) and take off into the black.

Strangely, I noticed I have a Founder’s World permit already, but I haven’t reached Elite status in anything yet. Not sure why I would have qualified otherwise.

Ah, Google tells me you get it if you were an original Kickstarter backer. I don’t feel that I’ve earned it though! Mind you, I’m getting close to the trading Elite rank. I could have continued mining for it, but I fancied a change of pace.

I’m enjoying mining and was pleasantly surprised by the Elite status – it wasn’t something I was really going after. But that 10% discount combined with a single shop that has all components was too hard to resist, so I made a visit and bought a few new (read: lots) ships.

I changed my mind immediately after my previous post too. I began outfitting my new anaconda for an exploration trip but had to leave for work before completing it. It definitely flies differently than my Asp or Python! :)

So I traveled a good 800 ly in search of these Guardian structures, and found some. The trouble is, the only way to get to them is by SRV - it seems my Krait Phantom is too large to land next to them. Well, the one I found at least, which is halfway up a mountainside. The closest I can get is 3.8 km away, with the SRV trying to scale a mountain… it ain’t no mountain goat, that’s for sure. I keep tipping over and rolling back down the hill! Please don’t make me go back and bring my… uh… Sidewinder. I guess the AspX might be ok, it’s a fair bit smaller. Anyone else done this mission (Ram Tah)?

At least the journey here was quite pretty in places.

Just wanted to drop in and say many thanks to @krayzkrok for your tips on this. I finally got around to refitting my AspX for mining. Unfortunately the ship builder was down the night I went to look at your build, but I got it mostly the same. I spent two nights trying out mining and it’s been quite the comedy of errors.

1. Finish building out ship.
  2. Click reload all on the services main screen.
  3. Fly to icy ring and start scanning.
  4. Find asteroid that looks promising. Fire prospector limpets. What do you mean, I don’t have any limpets?
  5. Fly back to nearby station and fill all available cargo spaces with limpets.
  6. Fly back to icy ring.
  7. Running low on time, so just find an asteroid to practice on with abrasion lasers.
  8. Fire, fire, fire…why won’t my abrasion lasers fire now?
  9. Head back to station for the night.
  10. Realize I had no power in weapons because I was power configured for passenger runs.
  11. Next night, head back to icy ring.
  12. Find asteroid with alexanderite(?). Decide to practice on it.
  13. Successfully blow it up, but also blow out my shields and take hull damage.
  14. Fire off collector limpets.
  15. Processing complete, yay! What do you mean, cargo full?
  16. Realize almost all but a few of my cargo slots are full of limpets. Dump some limpets. Collect what I can.
  17. Spend more time collecting, but I’m going through limpets like crazy because they die after each trip, which doesn’t seem right.
  18. Head back to station to sell and get more limpets.
  19. Head back out, finally find a low pressure diamond asteroid and void opal asteroid.
  20. Get interdicted on the way out of the ring, but manage to escape.
  21. Return to closest best paying station. Net about 20m credits.

So I’m starting to get the hang of it. I still feel like it takes a really long time for me to find the right asteroids, with a lot of false positives. I assume that will get easier with experience. And I did read about how your collector limpets will only last a single trip if you have something targeted when you find them, so I should be able to go out with less limpets and be a little faster next time.

I had fun doing something new as well, and learning it. 20m credits doesn’t sound like much compared to the numbers everyone else is putting up, but it’s double what I started with and will let me pick up a 5A power generator so I can stop being over on power usage.

So for those playing with the new mining loop, what is a good ratio of limpets to cargo space?

If you have something targeted when you launch a collector limpet, it picks that object up, returns, and dies. If you have nothing targeted, it picks up everything in the vicinity.

I have 72 units of cargo space in my AspX, and have been starting with 36 limpets. I usually run out of cargo space before I run out of limpets, but I like to have the margin just in case, and limpets are cheap.

It was really weird when I was in the middle of it, because I had some limpets that hung around and others that died right away. I couldn’t make any logical connection, so figured it must be random thing. When I got done last night I googled collector limpet expired and came up with plenty of hits which explained it.

I’m curious if Frontier has provided any sort of documentation on these things somewhere, or if you’re just supposed to figure it out. I could easily have just missed it if it’s in-game. I know there’s some basic info, but I haven’t looked to see if they talk about behaviors like this in the outfitting interface.

30ish limpets sounds about right. I’ve only got the one 64t cargo rack right now, and it seemed a lot better when I went out with it half full (and that’s with me using up a limpet for every collection).

@Gedd your comedy of errors sounded remarkably similar to my initial runs! I can’t imagine anyone who hasn’t forgotten to load up on limpets the first time.

Limpets will definitely expire if they crash into asteroids / chunks, or have trouble getting under your ship to enter the cargo bay hatch. I find it’s best to position yourself a little further away from the debris field with plenty of space under your ship. Occasionally you’ll find a chunk of material that a limpet can’t collect, seems to be because it gets into a strange position usually too close to an asteroid. I found a piece inside an asteroid chunk once! My limpets kept suiciding into it.

I generally take about 30 limpets these days. I can get away with 1 limpet prospector per asteroid, and 2 collectors per asteroid, so for a 96 cargo hold (which I have) that’s 18 limpets minimum. Then factor in suicidal limpets and general screw ups, and about 30 seems right. You can always jettison them, they’re super cheap anyway, just set the contacts to ignore them so the limpets don’t collect them back up again.

Finding asteroids gets easier as you recognise colour patterns and the right asteroid type (there’s only one that ever has fractures in it), but sometimes you’ll find a field with precious little in there anyway, so try another.

Me, I’m trying to find Guardian relics. I discovered that you don’t need to land your ship to transfer cargo from the SRV (in fact you don’t need to be landed to board the ship either, but you do to launch the SRV). Found most of them now, just chasing Ancient Orbs! It seems they keep rolling off.

I also had my Luke Skywalker moment…

Given how limpets are so cheap, I’d take a full load of them. Just toss them as needed – the losses are a rounding error on your profit margins.

To maximize the life of collector limpets, try to keep the bottom of your ship pointed toward open space. Limpets are reasonable at avoiding obstacles during flight, but they’ll often suicide into a rock during their entry/exit phase if the bottom of your ship is too close to something.

When starting out I found half my hold was a good number, but as I got better at identifying things I found I was using less prospectors, and now I’m good with about a third of my hold in limpets.

That said, 10 iron and 10 nickel from your materials bank and you can synthesize some limpets yourself if you find you’ve run out while staring down a profitable core. Dunno how many you get per batch, I was getting 4, but that may have been because my prospector and collector limpet controllers could both control 2 each.

The really sad thing is I had watched a couple videos and they all said to make sure you loaded up on limpets before leaving, and I thought I had by clicking the Reload All in the Starship Services home screen, I just didn’t know where to look for it in the UI to confirm. Now I do…

Another thing about limpet suicides, at first I’d fire off a couple of limpets while using the abrasion blaster to scour off materials, but that’s not a good idea - limpets frequently die trying to keep up with you, including you crashing into them by mistake. The best way is to scour off all the materials first, and then go sit somewhere with plenty of space around you, and launch the two limpets. It’s also more relaxing. Depending on your ship, you can even take a second collector controller and have 4 limpets working at once.

Good point about synthesizing them, I actually didn’t realise you could do this (synthesizing) until recently! That was a moment of revelation. ;)

“Restock All’ doesn’t restock your limpets, because why would you want your UI to make any goddamn sense.

I guess it’s because they take up cargo space, and they can’t really make an automatic decision about it. It might be kind of nice if it prompted you for how many you want to buy when you hit the restock button.

Yes exactly, it makes perfect sense that it doesn’t work, but it could be a lot clearer. Still, you only ever do it once. Right? ;)

Right, it doesn’t restock limpets because they use cargo space and the amount wanted is variable. If I’m equipped for combat I usually want 0 limpets and would be quite miffed to get a hold full of them. A prompt for them on restock all would also get kind of annoying if you rarely want them.

I suppose they could reword/rename the button to make it clearer.

They should do away with them or make them like ammo.

I’m getting a little better at this now that I know (roughly) what I’m doing. Made a run last night with around 120 million credits of void opals and low pressure diamonds. Could have made a bit more, but I ran out of limpets (my cargo racks were almost full anyway), and it was getting late.

Two things I am still not clear on:

1. I am still really unsure about definitively spotting fissure rocks at a distance. I’ve watched several videos and read a few guides, but the things I’ve seen to look for (high-contrast, really bright, use night vision, etc.) still have me putting prospectors into non-fissure rocks. I guess ultimately it’s not a big loss to just go pushing out prospectors until I get better at spotting them, but I feel like I spend a lot of time between finding the rocks to mine.

2. I’m not sure I understand what the demand component of the commodity interface is for. Originally I thought it meant the station would not buy that good, and then I thought it meant that they wouldn’t buy it all at the indicated price (price per unit would go down immediately), but as it was getting late last night I put into a station that had no demand for void opals or diamonds, and was able to sell it all at the indicated price. Is demand more of an indication that a price will drop in the future? Or that it may drop over time?