Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Once again the conservative procrastination-heavy portfolio pays off for the lazy investor!

I think I paid $66 or something to get Elite: Dangerous originally, and then another $30 or so to get it on Xbox. My procrastination on getting the expansion did kind of pay off I suppose, but procrastination in getting the original game in the first place would have saved me a lot more! :)

Great stuff. Hopefully will bag a bunch of re-engaged players for them. Horizons is excellent.

Some new Odyssey content too -

One thing I learned today is that it will support VR just not for being on foot:

Well that is a happy medium, likely the result of some petitions for just such a feature that were floating around.

At least now we can benefit from the new planet landings in VR!

The article says you could even do the foot parts with the vr headset on, but there will be looking at a 2d flat screen.

I haven’t played since last fall, are void opals still the thing to mine? I gained about a billion in assets in the space of a month.

I’d almost forgotten about how mining works. Cracking asteroids is probably the most satisfying implementation of space mining in a game I’ve seen.

There’s a suggestion that Elite might support non-pilot careers? So just playing the game as a soldier and booking shuttle flights between ports?

Intrigued but that sounds like a lot of development will need to happen.

Potentially, but why would you want to? There’s no reason to think the on foot shooting is going to be particularly good. Frontier have zero FPS experience and it’s not an FPS engine.

Yeah because that has never before been done in a game! And it’s so relevant and fitting to what the game is about.

Such a boneheaded decision to do spacelegs over atmospherics.

Open-ended career RPG mercenary in an FPS space game - not many like that are there? Can you let me know any recent ones? That piques my interest.

Frontier couldn’t get the openended career right in the space sim. Why would they get it right in the bolted on FPS?

Maybe Braben just wants to pick on Chris Roberts saying “hey, we made what you couldn’t at a fraction of the price - deal with it”.

Yeah, as soon as I saw it I thought it was a pretty good troll.

They got people sitting down right already, that’s more progress than Star Citizen!

Also, it’s been a playable, stable and mostly enjoyable game for years now. Unlike the, huh, “competition”.

True this. Part of why it was such from the get-go is it’s focused scope. Flying space ships. In space. A lot of space. And land on places.

Having a FPS tacked on is far worse than the “powerplay” game they tried tacking on, or the thoroughly underwhelming addition of CQC. Elite shines when it’s about ships. In space. It becomes bullshit when they broaden their scope from that.

The mining stuff was fucking awesome and everybody loved it. Now that’s the sort of shit they should be adding!

I want to fly through the storms in the atmosphere of Jupiter. Until I can do that, and land on Mars, this game is diminished compared to it’s direct predecessor, elite II.

Of course I will be buying this expansion. I love the game far too much not to, even if I haven’t played it in ages.

This. I couldn’t give a toss about getting out of my ship. I just want to land on something that isn’t a rocky wasteland, dammit.

From the Polygon article here, don’t expect much variety in the spaceports/outposts you can walk through:

While Hughes said that his team is working on adding variation through things like flags and banners, there will only be the three unique layouts at launch.