Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

I wanted to do exploration before the update, glad we didnt launch on our trip then: everytime I log in to check the state of the thing, I am back at a different place of the bubble. I.ll just uninstall the expansion and see if it keeps messing things up for my default game.

I have horizons but haven’t yet played it.

I watched the trailer for Odyssey and was underwhelmed. The walking animations look particularly stilted.

Hopefully they plan to improve the quality of the animations over time.

Yes, I don’t blame the developers. Lots of fixes since release, which makes it even clearer that it shouldn’t have been released when it was (again, not the developers fault).

But I do think that the released roadmap only had one a single piece of useful information - that there will be one update per week for the next three weeks. The actual contents of the roadmap? They are doing “many improvements and fixes” (duh) and they will improve the UI (which they had already said they would).

I had expected a bit more when David Braben announced May 25th that a roadmap would be announced by June 4th. Surely this roadmap can’t have taken that long to put together.

IMO, no, it’s because the of how bad of a state it launched in. For sure bugfixes are going to be required and the transparency is good, it’s the need for roadmaps on how they’re going to fix busted releases that is irking me. Not the roadmaps themselves.

Of course! It’s on Frontier as a whole, not the developers. As a software developer myself I’ve been in a situation where we were forced to launch when we all knew it wasn’t ready. And when it all inevitably blew up, we were of course the ones putting out the fires and taking all the heat. :) I don’t fault the developers themselves.

I have a feeling this roadmap was released in an incomplete state to because management wanted to hit a specific deadline. Maybe we’ll get a plan for how they’ll fix it.

Spent quite some time today in VR with Odyssey testing performance in space and while driving an SRV (not too interested in the on-foot stuff).

No matter what settings I tried, I could not get stable fps. Driving an SRV around Dav’s Hope was very choppy with lots of dropped frames. And this was with a 3090 GPU, a 5900x CPU and the HP G2.

Then I restarted with the Horizon client and got almost 4x fps with the same settings.

Distinct lack of sales numbers on Odyssey in this trading update for Frontier. Normally they like to include them.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/frontier-dev-plc--fdev-/rns/trading-statement-and-game-announcement/202106110700065643B/

Also, the F1 management game has been delayed by a quarter or so

Disappointing, but I’m not very surprised. I just hope they can fix the awful VR performance when using the Odyssey client. Otherwise the Odyssey expansion will end up being a pure downgrade for VR users such as myself.

Well fuck.

There goes the last fuck I gave about elite. Alas.

Now you can join the rest of us ghosts that haunt the thread, @schurem! OooOoOOooo!

Ouch.

Didn’t they basically capitulate to VR community demands by including the 2d screen in VR for Odyssey? Originally not even that was planned.

I wonder how they’ll respond to the outcry this time.

This is so strange, I thought Elite VR was one of the best thing in the Universe one could look forward to? :O

Yep.

I’m puzzled by Odyssey. What is great about Elite? The size of scale? The spaceships? The flight model? The 1:1 recreation of the galaxy? Most of which are really enhanced by VR.

But what did Odyssey add? An on-foot FPS (+ some minor other stuff) which doesn’t work in VR.

You forgot the galactic map autocomplete search box :O

(I suspect that what the extra 60GB of data are)

I’ve been puzzled by nearly every move Frontier has made since 1.0. For my personal tastes, nearly ever single move they have made since launch they’ve gotten wrong. Which aggravates me to no end because 1.0 was such a great place to launch from.

I’m that way with No Man’s Sky. I loved the launch product, but everything since then has been making into a game I don’t like.

OoOooOooOOOOoooo

Said it better than I ever could. Such a crying shame. Sadly, this happens all too often in these modern continuously developed games. World of Tanks and Warships both have been on a downward spiral for ages as well. Only DCS and Il-2 seem to be doing A-OK despite being forever in dev. And that’s only the games I know well, play and follow. I have no idea how bad it is in magic zombie elf land.

The main problem is that VR is a small niche, smaller than most realise, particularly within certain circles such as gaming/tech related forums. They have the numbers, ie. VR players compared to non-VR, and VR related sales probably don’t cover dev costs so it makes little business sense to continue investing in it.

Likely true, but the point for me is that have a game that is focused on space and is a premier title for VR. Instead of building on that, they instead worked on a FPS mode which doesn’t tie into the core of the game and also forced them to jettison VR support.

If they focused on the core spaceship experience and expanded on that, they would still have VR and wouldn’t have alienated those fans, niche or no.