Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Such a shame that modern space first-person games aren’t able to supply the fantasy experiences players want. Basically there are only a few different archetypal experiences we want in first person space games:

1. Fighting glorious battles against massive alien forces/bad guys in a dramatic space opera (Wing Commander/X-Wing/Tie Fighter).
  2. Building up a trading career as a ruthless Han Solo type (Privateer/Freelancer).
  3. The lonely feeling of being far from home in the bleakness of space, exploring new worlds (NMS/Elite).
  4. Fighting against and with fellow humans (X Wing vs TIE-Figher)

It’s very hard to combine these experiences successfully since they’re so disparate and require the appropriate frameworks:

• The Elite model leans very heavily on 3, and in the process loses the ability to do even 2 properly, particularly because its online-only model (built to support 4) makes the grind of trying to do 2 extremely painful. And of course Horizons added a whole bunch of extra on-foot gameplay which they cannot possibly do as well as specialized games.
  • Star Citizen promised 1, then did a switcheroo and added 3 and 4 and a whole kitchen sink of things nobody really wants. It’s not that entire planets aren’t cool, they’re just not what a space game is really about. At that point, a game that just focuses on planets will carry out those functions far better.
  • In general, modern high budget games appear to lack the discipline to stick to what they can do really well out of these experiences. The older games lacked the hardware to do everything and that made them focus on the core experiences they could support. Now the hardware is far less limited, and the high budget games (except perhaps Star Wars Squadrons and NMS) are trying to do too much without doing any of it that well.

I’ll say the X games (particularly X4) can be 1, 2, and even 3 sometimes. But in an emergent, not hand-crafted way, which might be appealing to some, and unappealing to others. I know I love that about it.

Elite: Dangerous was always a weird place, for me. They had this online infrastructure and made it an online game, but were afraid of letting players be able to impact the game world. It made things feel very rigid and sterile to me, like nothing I did mattered.

At the same time, the actual MP experience was crippled and unfun. You couldn’t even play the game as a group at first. They eventually added Wings in an update, but it was clunky and had a lot of issues. You couldn’t run any missions together, for example, because missions weren’t tracked on the server but instead were instanced on the client. So you had no way to tackle some hard Assassination missions or something like that. This also meant that there really wasn’t a way to provide multiplayer content… in an online game. I mean, there were those projects that could be worked on as a server as a whole, but that was about it.

So you have the single player experience hampered by the fact it’s multiplayer (can’t allow players to affect game state too much or it might negatively impact other players), but multiplayer hampered by the fact that it’s not multiplayer friendly at all either. I felt like they made all these compromises which detracted from the experience for both camps, but didn’t gain much at all for those compromises. They just hamstrung themselves.

You can follow similar patterns with almost every update they made. They always had an idea that was cool in theory, but in practice they sucked, often due to failures in their implementation. And rather than iterate and refine this content after release and getting feedback (which should be the strength of a “game as a service”) they would just say “Huh, it’s not that popular so we’re not going to invest any more time in it”. I mean look at what they released prior to Horizons:

• Community Goals: These were okay, and probably their best release of 1.0.
  • Wings: As described above, it was now better than nothing, but still very limited and awkward.
  • Powerplay: An attempt to allow players to affect the “world” in some way. But they were afraid of really letting that happen, so they wanted to make sure the system could be entirely ignored. Which is exactly what everyone did.
  • CQC: Who asked for a standalone arena mode? Apparently not many, because it was nearly DOA.
  • Updated missions system: That still didn’t work when playing with others.

I started losing interest and stopped playing much around here, although I dabbled in Horizons/engineers for the planetary landing experience. Looking at their update notes, it looks like they did eventually get Wing Missions into the game sometime after 2018. Four years after the game launched, I think? Anyway, I did try out the Multicrew thing briefly, but they panicked that people might find that too enjoyable/rewarding so right as it launched they made sure that crew only earned 25% of bounty value, insuring interest in the system died and it was yet another DOA feature that they didn’t build on and refine.

So when Odyssey launched and VR was the casualty, I can’t say I was surprised. It’s par for the course with these guys. Lets add a tangential feature to the game that doesn’t improve the core experience for a lot of people, and sacrifice components that people do value along the way.

This will go down as one of the most frustrating games for me, because it was so close. The feel of flying a spaceship around a galaxy was unmatched. The audio design is superb. They had done the work to have multiplayer infrastructure which is a big deal for me personally, because it’s not something you often see in this genre! Despite having all the pieces right there in their hands, they (in my opinion) failed over and over and over to put it together. It kept me hanging on, watching updates, hoping that maybe this time they’ll nail it. Only to be disappointed again and again.

Sigh.

The weirdest thing to me is how strong it launched. Even pre-1.0, it was way more impressive than what I, as an Elite fan from way back, had expected. But then everything they did after that, except I suppose adding native Rift support, was stuff I didn’t ask for and didn’t want, and they never delivered the thing I did want, namely landing on proper atmospheric planets. There was such a strong foundation to build from and they just didn’t. I do think the decision to go half hearted multiplayer, which I suspect was a Kickstarter driven thing rather than something Braben would have done on his own, led to that.

Agreed. Really strong launch, way better than I expected. And then nothing they did after that interested me, except VR, in a theoretical sense, since I don’t own a VR set.

To be clear, I still consider that a win, as a space sim fan. If I want to crank up the sound and go exploring, Elite Dangerous kicks ass and is very evocative.

Exactly what I just did! Not much “game” to it, but Captain Blood didn’t have much game either.

I haven’t visited this thread in a while. So depressing to hear about VR. Elite is one of my most memorable VR gaming experiences. The first time flying out of a space station in VR was absolutely magical. Once I set up a HOTAS and got the voice commands working, I was in gaming nirvana.

No next-gen console updates is odd too. It really sounds like Frontier is winding down development of this game. Hopefully there will be an Elite 2.

There was. It even had atmospheric planet landings

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AnimatedUncommonEnglishsetter-size_restricted.gif

Yeah, nothing will ever take that away.

All the bad blood between us now is disappointment at squandered potential after such a promising start.

To this day, nothing else makes me feel like I’m sitting in a spaceship flying around a semi-realistic galaxy in the same way as ED.

Well said, couldn’t agree more.

Yes, well said. This, so much this.

KevinC - quoted just part of your post, but the whole thing captures Elite well. Particularly the confusion over why they kept adding tangential features, while sacrificing the core components that players valued the most.

Elite: Dangerous provided some of my best gaming experiences ever in 2018-2019, because of the immersion and the awesome experience of VR. It was the sound design, the beautiful celestial objects and orbiting stations, the sense of a vast galaxy in 1:1 scale. Most of all, it was immersion. To be in an SRV on the surface of Mercury in VR, to see the blasted rock around me lit in dark shadows and Sol blazing overhead? I’ll never forget that.

But to discard VR and immersion in the interest of a MP shooter that was poorly integrated with the overall design? Who asked for that?

And to the point, today was a10gb update which provides… Ability to walk around carriers, and sit in chairs. Ah, the old dream of artificial gravity!

For me, the biggest disappointment was powerplay. When I first discovered it I thought aha! Now this is going to be the meat of the game! But no, instead it ended up as just another grind for special modules which everyone does once then never touches again.

…and this is the reason I still jump back in from time to time despite having long dispensed with any notions of making “progress” in the game.

When Eve Online said they were adding space legs I railed against it. Large portions of space were empty enough and the last thing the game needed was even more reasons for people to remain docked instead of being out there playing the game with the rest of us. Lo and behold, nobody used it and it got canned. When Frontier announced space legs I railed against it for much the same reason, and now look at the bloody game. Sigh.

Based on what I saw on a stream yesterday:

The funny bit is that when you sit in a chair that’s literally all you do. You can’t even chat with someone.
The fancy commander’s chair on the bridge? Can’t control anything when sitting down. You have to stand up in order to access the controls. :-D

Yea, Even X4 finally realized this with recent DLC and you can sit at stations and access your systems still.

Is X a bit less busy than before? I remember enjoying X2 as a business/management game, but space was crowded and there was little to explore.
Wrong thread, ha.

I wouldn’t say it’s less busy, but more recent games had a lot of usability improvements to manage things. And some healthy degree of automation, too.

Another great video from ObsidianAnt. I wasn’t aware of the Galactic Mapping Project in E:D. But it’s such an inspiring one.