Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Cool stuff, I didn’t know there was an alien invasion thing going on in the game.

But how are the animations for janitors employing buckets?

I wanted to explore deep space…
I discover now that the game had lore. awkward lore, too. wonderful!

I’m not sure I could get into a game unless it had properly modelled vending machines.

/s but also not joking about that other game

Wrong thread. Also, you don’t want janitors with buckets anywhere nearby Elite: Dangerous.

For some reason, I decided a few weeks ago to give Odyssey - and especially the on-foot content - another try about a year after I stopped playing. My hot take is that it is almost passable now. The performance and stability issues seem to be fixed and I’ve not run into any serious bugs.

Sneaking around settlements mapping out patrol routes, carefully scanning people to get access to buildings, stealthing into buildings to turn alarms off, etc can be good fun.

The really annoying part with Odyssey for me now is how just a few small tweaks could improve the on-foot experience quite a bit:

• Most the items you pick up during on-foot missions are simply vendor trash. But the game does not tell you this. Why couldn’t the user interface indicate it like so many other games do?
  • Only assets can be traded at bartenders. Goods and data can not. Why?
  • You cannot pin upgrades at Odyssey engineers like you can with the old engineers. The button is there in the UI, but it has no effect. So you have to travel to the engineers every time.
  • The grind is just too much. I have a fairly high tolerance for E:D grind (did the federation/imperial rep grinds, fully engineered 9 ships etc), but this feels like another level. Even following guides, several game play sessions were required to upgrade a single weapon from level 1 to level 2. And there are 11 weapon types and they all go to level 5. And that doesn’t even include engineering. Suits are the same way.

Huh. Seems like Frontier needs a new income stream to ensure the survival of Elite: Dangerous.

Not to mention the survival of Frontier.

Surprised they didn’t do this sooner, honestly.

Yeah, they must have been pulling their hair every time Star Citizen sold new concept art for $5000+ a pop. Appreciate that they held back this long.

Yeah, last gasping breath of a dying game. I expect it’ll be gone within a year.

I won’t miss it a bit. Had so much promise when it released but Frontier just kept dropping the ball ever since.

100% agreed.

E:D has always had gameplay like a free-to-play game. They have just been missing the part where you can pay to skip the grind.

Again, 100% agreed.