Elite Dangerous' new baby area may be just the thing you've been waiting for

Title Elite Dangerous' new baby area may be just the thing you've been waiting for
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When April 11, 2019

Frontier Developments is adding a beginner's zone to Elite Dangerous..

Read the full article

Interesting, maybe I should take another look. My initial impression when I tried this years ago was that the interface was designed for VR (the need to pan the camera around just to see all the ship UI elements seemed wildly impractical), so I quickly gave up.

TrackIR, actually. And you don’t need to pan the cameras around. There are key shortcuts to focus on particular UIs. They are clumsy as hell, but they are there.

E:D is like any flight-sim in that it really wants a HOTAS and a head tracker.

Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

I wish I’d known that before I bought it, since I have none of those things and what little I’ve played of the game wouldn’t inspire me to drop a small fortune on peripherals for it. Ah well, one more for the perpetual backlog of shame.

Although it might be optimal to have HOTAS + head tracker I’ve got some 300 hours played using just the keyboard + trackpad so it’s definitely not a requirement :)

You can use keys 1 - 4 to switch between the various UI menus.

That’s a tremendously useful piece of information, thanks!

I bought this a while ago and just haven’t made time for it yet. These new onboarding features sound like just the time for me to dive in.

I played a ton of space sims in the 2000s (I even own a copy of Battlecruiser Millennium!), but my memory is crap now and I can’t play these games anymore.