Elon Musk goes Off the Rails

He is an exact replica of Trump, but a bit smarter. Same Malignant Narcissist characteristics.

The world is happening to him.

Eh, it’s on message I think. The debate over the degree to which the people responsible for a product should influence the reception of that product rages on, with no resolution in sight. I do think it is relevant that Teslas, which are very popular among the affluent progressive portion of the population, are made by a company owned by someone who often makes very public declarations embodying pretty much everything many of Tesla’s customers despise.

There was some speculation yesterday that Musk is trying to get out in front of something coming down the pike and this kinda tracks with that speculation: Musk can scream that his company is getting attacked by the ‘woke mob.’ (That said, I agree he certainly is a malignant narcissist.)

I’m not even sure I believe that Musk even votes. Anyway, he’s always seemed less a real person and more like an AI fed exclusively on Reddit, so I’m not sure why anyone would be surprised by something like this.

Yeah. I’m pressing X when he claims he’s switching from Democrat to GOP, I think he’s been there all along (or at least for quite some time). At least since California was making it hard for him to force his workers back to the factory in the middle of a plague.

While its fair to contemplate the degree to which it is justifiable to purchase goods from a company owned by someone bent on doing bad things, you going on to call Tesla owners ‘virtue signaling twits’ is, frankly, lazy and a bit offensive.

I certainly expect better from you. Especially since you are someone who has strong preferences and opinions about their own vehicle choices. I could certainly make disparaging remarks about your own vehicle choices should I chose to.

Said as someone whose favorite car they’ve owned is a Honda Insight and whose next car will certainly be an EV for reasons that have fuck all to do with virtue signalling.

My reading of his post was that he was calling a particular demographic in his locale virtue signaling twits and that they drove Teslas so it would be fun to watch them squirm, not stating that Tesla owners in general are virtue signaling twits. But he’s a big boy and clarify for himself if he so chooses, I’m sure. :)

Right there with you. My next car will be an EV but I couldn’t care less if anyone knew I drove an EV or recognized that it was one if they saw it on the street.

Okay. That is just 100% awesomeness.

So I am a recent Tesla buyer (January), and while I know Elon is a complete asshole, I got one anyway. The reason? My personal impact on emissions is significantly better, and my cost to operate significantly lower. I don’t want to own any more polluting cars, and Tesla is currently the best EV option (largely because of having chargers everywhere).

This. His origins aren’t THAT different than Rump and the resulting person is from the same book.

Let’s do Direct Democracy.

Hope everyone has time to read bills. Or write bills… somehow. Whatever, mob rule it is.

I think the absolute worst thing about this whole scenario is that I find myself looking at Twitter as the good guys. Gross.

There don’t need to be good guys! All parties to a conflict can be, and in this case are, reprehensible.

Musk is competing with Joe Rogan to be King of the Dummies.

Note: this doesn’t mean I think Musk is dumb, just that he is ruling over the dumb who don’t understand that the things he says are dumb.

Just have simple laws! Why has nobody thought of this idea before?

Twitter’s main legal counsel for this purchase told twitter folks in the same meeting that the sale is proceeding as scheduled, and despite Musk’s tweets about putting the deal on hold, things are moving.

Consensus seems to be that they’ll make Elon do the deal at the agreed price or they’ll sue him if he doesn’t.

I was not implying anything about all Tesla owners; sorry about the confusion. I’m speaking specifically of people I know who are twits, and happen to own Teslas in this case. The Tesla ownership did not make them twits; they were twits long before that. I just think it’s interesting to watch people trying to square the circle on this stuff.

I do not think anyone should necessarily base consumer decisions on things like who owns a company or what the company’s position on issues might be. Consumption is a complex thing, and it’s a personal choice whether or how much you pay attention to who makes what and how. In the case of Tesla, though, Musk has made his personal life and views a central part of the brand image, and that comes with consequences.

Again, I’ll probably be buying an EV for similar reasons, one day. My virtue signaling comment is about a specific demographic that is endemic up here, and has nothing per se to do with EVs. These people have a whole raft of things they deploy to show off their enlightenment, usually while being utterly clueless about how the rest of the world actually has to live.