Elon Musk goes Off the Rails

Tesla is trying to sell the Model 3 as a “non-luxury” vehicle, or at least that was the original goal, to make a more affordable model. IF you are a consumer, you might be confused over how “luxury” Teslas are, especially when you compare the Model 3 to other similarly priced ICE luxury cars, as the Model 3 lacks many luxury features. They aren’t a “luxury” car brand in the traditional sense, as they are targeting customers across a range from luxury to more conventional, so comparisons will be difficult. Probably why they decided to just compare tesla across the entire market (luxury to non)

The real reason that cost is higher is more likely, all repairs need to happen through a Tesla “dealer”, which would be crazy expensive for any car owner, the dealer is always more expensive. There are basically 0 third party options for repairs, and that will drive the cost up as well.

The other truth is, Teslas break down a lot more. They are a relatively new car company, they are going to make less reliable vehicles.

I’m not sure I understand this. Do Teslas not have warranties? Or do you mean routine maintenance rather than repairs?

Can Tesla owners take their car down the street to have the tires rotated, or even to replace the tires, or do they have to get Tesla to do that?

Pretty sure he’s talking about repairs (and I see his point). Once outside warranty, you can’t take your Tesla anywhere except a Tesla service center.

Yeah, I’m confused about the (possible) conflation of ‘maintenance’ and ‘repairs’. If we are talking about high maintenance costs, that’s not ‘repairs’, is it? I thought it was routine maintenance.

Scott, we’ve been trying to reach you about the warranty on your car… :-D

Heh, I got that call on my US line in Ecuador for 7 years. Of course, I didn’t own a car that entire time.

Why is this? Does Tesla refuse to supply parts to independent repair shops?

I went ahead and answered my own question like some type of commoner.

No, they don’t restrict parts, but few local mechanics are certified to work on Teslas. On the other hand, GM began to service Teslas, and there are a shit-ton of GM service centers around.

While this could be true, my guess is that a non-Tesla shop doesn’t currently have the tools/skills to repair EV’s. Lots of knowledge on ICE cars but not on Tesla’s.

And I am sure that is something that will change.

For instance, in 2009, I had an electrical problem with my 2006 Ford escape, out of warranty. I took it to my local mechanic, and they said, We can’t fix this, it is too complicated, you need to go to Ford dealer, they charged an arm and a leg, but got my issue fixed.

I am sure it is the same for Teslas, there are people that can work on Teslas, but the expertise isn’t up to that level yet. Hence, the inflated annual inflated service costs, which will probably go down as that knowledge base increases.

Expertise and tools, yeah. So much of what can go wrong these days is not mechanical, but electronic. And a lot of that might well be a software problem. Given that electronics and software are, despite a growing commonality of some modules, still often very proprietary or at least unique to specific vehicles or brands, it pretty much is relegating shade tree mechanics and your local guy who fixes cars in his barn to working on 20th century iron.

I don’t know where this comes from, but it’s weird. A 40€k Model 3 feels significantly more luxurious than most cars its price I’ve been into. The public perception, at least over here, it’s that they are very much a luxury brand (which is why I initially looked elsewhere for EV options until I hit the highway range conundrum).

The BMW 3 series starts at 43,000, the Lexus IS is 40k, the ES is 43k

The Tesla is 43k, the cheapest 2WD base model…

The same basic price as the entry level luxury car, though for some people you still can get the 7.5k federal tax credit, until that goes away. This is also after the recent price cuts.

I would say that both the BMW 3 series and the Lexus IS/ES at comparable prices to the Tesla are much more luxurious than the model 3, despite the cost. You can spend a bit more price out an ES sport or luxury package with AWD etc for less than 50k, about the same price as the performance model 3. Of course, you can get a Camry Hybrid XSE with every single extra option on it for under 40k. (Heated steering wheel, parking/braking assists, navigation, upgraded speaker system, heads up display etc)

Tesla is really weird, as they tried really hard to push their Model 3 sedan as an ‘every-man’s’ car, but it still costs the level of a luxury vehicle, without a lot of the luxury perks, hell the Camry has a HUD and it is less than 40k. This has been the case since the Model 3 has come out.

Great if you want to go electric, sure, but the only way a base Model 3 is a luxury vehicle is the price.

I think the perception of what makes a luxury vehicle may be different from EU and the US.

However, all those features you mentioned but HUD (heated steering wheel, good navigation and assists -including best in class security assists-, Bang & Olufsen audio systems, motorized trunk…) are in a Model 3. And the interior does feel very nice and really spacious (if unconventional compared to an ICE car). Specs and comparable to significantly better than most luxury cars in their price range too (here you have to look at EVs, since ICE cars specs just can’t compete with electrics).

I dunno, as I said it might be a cultural thing. I’m pretty sure if you said Teslas are not luxury cars over here you’d get weird looks.

This is very true, as different cultures want different things in their luxury vehicles. But, to me, the Model 3 just doesn’t compete with the BMW 3 series, or Lexus IS/ES. It is a luxury brand name. The Model S and X are actual luxury vehicles. Even then I would much rather spend 90k on Mercedes AMG GT or a Lexus LX

Depends how one uses the term luxury.

Luxury as a denotation of price? Teslas certainly qualify.
Luxury as a denotation of quality? That’s extremely questionable.

Tesla build quality seems to be about as good as my Ford Fiesta. Only my Fiesta has better interior/layout.
Meanwhile the few Mercedes and BMWs I’ve been in were decidedly better on those fronts.

Panel gaps everywhere

But the other thing is performance, that’s where Tesla set a new standard, and one that is entirely because EVs with the right sized motors and boards and powerplants can perform up with hypercars that start at a quarter million. That’s what I was thinking about, if you have a car that can go 0-60 in 3 seconds then you need some serious brakes to go with it (got them Brembos son!) and all sorts of other guts that allow the car not to rip apart with that much acceleration. Cabin-wise, I’m sure they are way behind and we all agree that on things like body fit they are kinda just bad.

But when we’re talking about maintenance, replacing that high end brake set or that high end wheelie bit skews the numbers.

Well, the base model 3 doesn’t do 0-60 in 3 seconds, it is 5.8 seconds. Which is in line with the similarly priced BMW 3 series.

Electrics are really strong at drag racing, nature of the beast.

They also tend to lose if a race goes much longer than most drag races.