Elon Musk's Starlink

Agreed. Though the cynical side of me also wonders, what happens when you get billions hooked on connectivity provided by your company, when there are few if any competitors that people can go to? I’d be interested in the monetization strategy for all of this.

But in a good way?

When children in far-flung villages in Somalia can create fake news websites and profit off Trumpists looking for the latest info on Pizzagate, everyone wins.

This thread reminds me I should have fought for a UPlay refund on the PC version of the Starfox “Starlink” game that won’t even run with CPU virtualization features enabled in BIOS.

Another launch coming in days.

I’m getting in on this IPO.

Can’t wait until Comcrap has nationwide 3rd party competition.

Hopefully terrestrial-based astronomy will not die as a result of Starlink.

The best place to put a giant ground based telescope/observatory is on the dark side of the moon. They should build a big science base up there ASAP.

Even thinking about that makes me grin ear to ear.

But of course destroying terrestrial observing makes that less, not more, likely to happen.

That’s about 500 steps from where we’re currently at, which is simply trying to get back to the moon.

Might as well wish for warp drives while we’re at it.

I agree, but moon pirates really make things hairy.

“Elon Musk” is a stupid name.

It’s a good name… for a 17th century pirate.

I’m pretty sure Knights of the Old Republic auto-generated that name for one of my characters.

Almost as cute as a yak.

5th launch was successful Weds, now 360 sats in orbit

And bada-bing, there you go…

Yeah, but we all know what else is up there. Just read any number of horror sci-fi stories.