Emily Blunt is Spanish for Hitman in SICARIO

Plus some Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin. Looks like it's shot really well.

--- Alan

That looks pretty dang good. I’ve only seen Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow, but I LOVED her in that, so I’ll definitely keep an eye out on this one. Thank you!

She’s also the lead female role in The Wolfman (which would have been super awesome had they, at the end of the movie, turned her into a monster hunter) and The Adjustment Bureau, among other titles.

— Alan

Are those worth seeing on their own?

Wait, doesn’t that Adjustment movie have Clive Owen? (runs to IMBD)…

Sad, it’s Matt Damon, who I also like but not as much as Clive Owen.

For some reason, I was thinking The International. Sorry, don’t mind me…

If the alternative is some kind of Wolf Bureau, sign me up.

The Wolfman is mostly right in the middle, neither really good or bad, just kind of mediocre I guess. Uses a bunch of werewolf tropes, and gobs of the movie have been cut out so parts of the setup make little sense (like nearly all of the background of Benicio del Toro, who coincidentally is also in this movie). The movie had a troubled production and it kind of shows. That being said, there are some parts I do like (the atmosphere, the gypsy camp sequence, the inspector’s comment about being in close proximity to potential victims in town, etc), and the violence is incredibly brutal, at times comically so.

I guess worth watching if you haven’t seen a werewolf movie in awhile and want to see a recent one.

— Alan

If you haven’t seen The Devil Wears Prada, definitely do. It’s awesome. Emily Blunt is not the lead, but she’s great in it.

“I’m one stomach flu away from my goal weight!”

She’s really good in Your Sister’s Sister, and more than serviceable in Into the Woods. I didn’t like Looper or Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, but it wasn’t because Emily Blunt was bad in either.

I really enjoyed this. A heck of a lot more than I did The Martian. I liked Emily Blunt’s performance, but I wish she would have a couple of moments where she could kick some ass. In Black Mass and in Sicario there are scenes where a man i using his hand to touch a woman’s face. I think it’s much more effective and powerful in Sicario.

A word of warning there are a few moments where enhance interrogation techniques are used.

Villeneuve sure doesn’t seem to be big on cheerful endings.

I really enjoyed this too. In a superficial way, it was sort of the inverse of Zero Dark Thirty.

Deakins can find a dozen great shots anywhere. I thought, after the first 30 minutes, the movie had the potential to be great, but it was just pretty good by the end. Nice to see Benicio del Toro again.

It really reminded me more of a much more intense No Country for Old Men. Especially with the movie’s theme.

And Blunt is amazing.

This movie was beautifully shot. With Deakins, that’s a given. But the scene where the assault squad is heading out during the sunset is amazing. That and all those big sky scenes.

I just realized this is from the director who made Enemy (2013). I cannot wait to see this!

Saw Enemy a few times, that movie is open to interpretation.

Am a sucker for Brolin and No country so this looks fantastic to me, will watch for sure.

Also the guy who made Prisoners.

I like it quite a bit. Hell, the opening 30 minutes a pretty much worth the price of a ticket on their own, but I can’t shake the feeling that the true meaning of the reveal and perspective shift at the end is that we were watching a Luc Besson thriller all along.

You lost me, can you clarify what you mean?

Alejandro is totally a pulp character, so when the perspective switches to him in the end, I started feeling like I was watching grimdark Taken.

Random very spoilery thought about a thing from the podcast:

"

[spoiler]I also didn’t really think Emily Blunt was going to be shot in the final confrontation in her apartment with Del Toro—there was still an outside chance, but yeah, it was more about her losing her ideals than her life at that point. But for a moment I was much more worried that she would be shot by Brolin in their confrontation after she came out of the tunnels.

Thinking about it rationally after the fact, even as ends-justify-the-means-y as this movie was, Brolin shooting an FBI agent in cold blood in front of Delta Force (or whoever those guys were) wouldn’t make any sense at all when they could have Del Toro do it quietly somewhere later. But in the moment, as the scene unfolded, that’s when it really hit me that hey, look at all the other stuff they’re willing to do for their mission, would they really stop short of killing her if they believed it was the difference between continuing to operate and being tied up in some kind of political mess?[/spoiler]

So did Brolin send Del Toro at the end? I can’t figure why del Toro would care about the paperwork? AFAICT he got revenge, shifted cartel power back towards the Colombian leaders, and wouldn’t care about US legality of their actions in the field. Was he doing the CIA a solid?