Empire of Magic

Well I certainly like this kind of game, but many of them have disappointed me. HoMM is the only such game series I have really enjoyed for more than a few days at a time, even though HoMM IV could well be subtitled “squeezing blood from a stone” to characterize the 3DO approach to franchises…

For me this kind of game needs to somehow balance the strategy aspect with RPG coolness, which is not an easy feat. Most games in this category wind up with primitively symmetrical armies for the opposing sides, and may also have very rudimentary and uninteresting tactics as well, not to mention inept large-scale AI strategy. HoMM used to have something of an advantage because it was connected to the MM world storyline, lore, and most importantly to the wit and humor of the NWC designers, but I guess all that is out the window right now.

I guess I’ll take a look at this new game when it comes out, though… you never know…

Crap, Rise of Nations comes out shortly after this. DAMN choices!

Crap, Rise of Nations comes out shortly after this. DAMN choices![/quote]

Choices?

:?

Get 'em all!

:)

Who needs to eat?

Loyd Case

Pulls out wallet, cuts eyes, and makes sure wife is not around

—SWIPE!—

Tucks game in back of pants and runs to desk once at home

Crap, Rise of Nations comes out shortly after this. DAMN choices![/quote]

Choices?

:?

Get 'em all!

:)

Who needs to eat?

Loyd Case[/quote]
You know, Loyd, when you’re right, you’re right. <Heads off to supermarket to by a metric ton of both Top Ramen and Kraft Mac and Cheese>. To hell with my arteries! There’s games to play!

Buzzzzzz!

That is the entire amount of buzz around this title. I am trying not to despair. Has anyone played more than the initial press preview? I would settle for some false hope with the release this week.

Who needs grocery stores. Never heard of a soup kitchen?* Sheesh!

I’m interested, but you’d think the massive lack of PR will hurt their sales.

[size=2]*Probably not a good idea to bring your games in there to read the manuals, though[/size].

Got my email that the game’s been shipped; hopefully I’ll get it by Saturday, but more likely Monday. :roll: Here’s hoping…

Cool, let us know your impressions of it once you get it, so that those of us on the fence can make a decision whether to purchase it or not. :)

Since no one “in the know” is speaking up to dissuade my purchase and assuming I can find a copy, I am going to pick it up this weekend. Here’s to hoping it does not completely suck. :?

where is teh d3m0?

it is out on the warez scene… 0-day…

No demo. Warez…no idea.

I got mine today from a next day preorder with ebgames.com. Its out at the brick and mortar stores too, some anyway. Havent played it or anything though, as I am in currently at work.

olaf

If it is not too much trouble, why don’t you force yourself to vomit by placing your index finger at the back of your throat, go straight home, play for, let’s say, 3 and a half hours, and then post a “impressions” piece here before 5:00pm CST. Thanks, you’re a pal.

I don’t have the game, but I followed your advice anyway, Tyjenks. Screenshots to follow.

I picked up EoM today and played through the tutorial and a bit of the game itself. Let me say right off that this is not a grand strategy game. It’s character-driven, and much more like Disciples than AoW. It also reminds me of Rage of Mages with the number of characters (and sometimes odd text), so maybe a cross between RoM & Disciples.

Game Options:

The game lets you play either the main plot or multiplayer. You can play the multiplayer scenarios as either a spectator or one of the two sides (there seem to only be two scenarios, both with only two sides), and you can play the MP scenarios SP vs the AI. The main plot branches in that you will sometimes be given choices on how to proceed, but you’re still on a rail. You’ll always need to complete objectives based on those choices (so far as I’ve seen). The paths you choose will also determine, to a degree, which Hero characters will be in play. There isn’t a random map generator, or any way to play outside of the main plot beyond the two scenarios I mentioned.

Units:

There are both “Hero” units and “Grunt” units (my terms). There can only be one “Hero” unit in a stack, and each stack can hold three units (Hero or Grunt). Combat is initiated by moving your unit/stack onto an enemy unit/stack (the AI will also move and initiate). Only one stack can engage in a given combat, so the maximum units you’ll have per battle is 6. The game is turn-based, as is combat, and each unit has a specific number of Action Points (AP’s). This can vary by unit, so slower units can slow up a stack, or be out of AP’s for a fight.

All units have a number of different statistics: Hit Points, Action Points (AP’s), Mana, Morale, Sight Range, Attack, Counterattack, and Defense. AP’s are universal, meaning if you use AP’s to move a stack into combat, units won’t have those AP’s to fight. Combat ends when either the attacker retreats (the defender cannot), both sides run out of AP’s, or one side is destroyed. In combat, units move around on a (very small) combat map, and each unit can take one action per round provided it has the AP’s. Spellcasters can choose & cast spells, or melee characters can choose an enemy to approach and fight. After you choose your actions, you’ll end that combat turn and both your actions and you opponent’s will be played out.

Spells:

Spellcasting units will have spells available depending on their profession (Druid, Mage, Psionic, whatever) and level. Spells can have two effects: Global and Combat. Global spells tend to affect an entire stack, while Combat spells only affect one unit. A Healing spell cast globally will heal a stack, while the same spell cast in combat will only heal one unit. Hostile spells work the same way, and more complex spells will require more AP’s to cast. There are quite a few different spells, but it’s hard to count them the way the manual is set up. Global and Combat spells are listed seperately, even though they may be the same spell.

There are also some special abilities (War Cry), which can have similar effects to spells.

Towns:

Units can be recruited in friendly towns for a price, and the units available will vary from town to town. Units can also be trained in towns (again for a price), and that training can either be temporary (+6 AP for 6 turns) or permanent (+2 attack). It seems units can also learn new spells in some towns, but I haven’t seen this yet. Gold for training/recruiting can be gained by completing quests (different than scenario objectives). You can’t improve or alter towns, only visit or capture them.

Friendly towns can be garissoned with your own units, but I have no idea if the enemy ever attacks or how strong their attacks are. Sometimes enemies are scripted to generate based on events, so you could have a bunch of enemies suddenly appear pretty much anywhere.

Experience:

Each unit gains experience based on both combat and quests/objectives. A unit needs to damage an enemy to get any experience from combat, but it looks like completing objectives/quests gives experience to every unit on your side.

Overview:

I’m not sure what to think of this game yet, to be honest. The screen shows too little of the map compared to the graphical size of the units, which bugs me. I find myself wanting to zoom out a lot. The text also can be overly verbose, like a bad Japanese translation: “The controls are in no way complicated.” Huh? Just tell me what the controls are and I’ll decide how complicated they are.

The manual is 58 pages, with 16 pages devoted to brief descriptions of the characters (both the Heroes and Grunts), 6 pages for different types of training or items, 12 for spells, and the rest for art or gameplay/controls.

I’ll play around with it some more, and might post clarifications or anything else I find that’s significant.

I also got the game today and like Raife played it a bit. I captured the town in the tutorial but I haven’t advanced to the next scenario yet (I can’t figure out how that works yet).

Overall, my general impressions are like Raife’s and I’m similarly ambivalent. I am going to muck around with this a bit more but so far it doesnt seem greatly appealing.

Dan

I think this game is a bug ridden piece of shit. I crash constantly with errors like ‘Object not in list (92)’.

Second, its not tactical. If you were expecting anything like MoM/AoW/HoMM combat, forget it. When you initiate a fight, you have all of four things you can do per turn 1) Attack a target 2) Flee 3) Cast (if the unit has spells) 4) Do nothing. Fucking awesome tactical depth! You cant even move your characters beyond having them chase down whatever target you selected to attack. And the battles, at least so far, are limited to 3 on 3 tops.

The gameplay outside of combat is more a trial and error puzzle than anything else. Think of some of the bad examples of this in AoW2 scenarios, and then double that amount of contrived bullshit and you are almost there. The way your APs are the same for moving about the big map and fighting on the small map is a horrible design decision. Then, there are triggers where enemies just appear, and if you dont have guys in the right place with APs, you are fucked.

Third, you’d have to try real hard to find lower production values. The voice acting needs to be heard to be believed. The manual, and game, are full of the obligatory bad English that I have come to expect from games originating from a non English speaking country.

Fourth, there is no support for this game at either the mayhem.sk site or the summitsoft.net site. Thanks assholes.

All in all, its the worst money I have ever spent on a game.

Truth be told my impressions are probably way worse than reality, I am just pissed off because I wanted a game with RPG-like unit building featuring tactical combat, and I got a hell of a lot less than that. But really its a piss poor, buggy game. Avoid it like a coughing hooker from China.

olaf

Its very…different.

I have to say that’s not what I was expecting at all…oh well. I do like RPG style games. Does it play well if you are considering it to be a console style RPG (the combat sounds like that…final fantasy style stuff)?