EnChroma glasses for color blindness

Has anyone tried these and can offer an opinion? My son is colorblind and the video of people’s experience with the glasses is very compelling, but they’re expensive.

Those videos are great! No personal experience, but they do have retailers where your son can try them out before buying.

Good thinking! They have a store not too far from my place.

I have been thinking about getting a pair for my father, but he is pretty blase about these kinds of things. Love to hear any personal experiences.

Same here.

I had no idea this existed, and it is SO cool. My brother is red-green color blind, I’m emailing him the link. Thanks for the heads-up!

Check out the various youtube videos, they warm even my frozen black heart.

Is it a sign of my crippling depression that I’m not sure I would want to know what I was missing if I could not nearly permanently have the color correction? It seems like it would be a bummer to have a glimpse of what the world really looks like in full color, then realize you were not going to see that 90% of the time.

Or is this something that you are expected to wear all the time (including a prescription version, if you need ordinary vision correction)?

EDIT: I feel like Debbie Downer - I love the videos too.

Yes, they make prescription lenses too!

I am red/green colorblind, and took the test on their web site a few years back and it said I am not a candidate.

I see color, it’s just that you & I don’t agree on which color it is ;-)

Colorblind people see color - the type of color blindness where you see no color at all is incredibly rare, from what I’ve been told.

My brother has the red/green colorblindness (the most common, iirc) and he has glasses he got from Amazon that let him see reds/greens/browns etc. so while maybe these “EnChroma” glasses aren’t the thing, there are other options out there, and have been for years (he got them two or three years ago and showed them off while we were camping).

I suspect the color vividness isn’t different (I am not colorblind, but many in my family are) just the tone. Do you ever find yourself moved by a gorgeous sunset, or a view from a plane, or something? I don’t imagine seeing the “proper” colors is that big of a deal except in cases where color is important (like, video games I suppose).

You could see, for instance, what green leaves on a tree in the summer look like to most of the rest of the world, then go back to seeing them how you have been, curiosity satisfied. My brother almost never wears his glasses, and he doesn’t need glasses so he could.

That would make sense, except if it were that minor a deal, why would you break down crying when using them for the first time.

Generally, just seeing things slightly differently is not so profoundly moving as to cause people to break down.

Either his brother has very mild color-blindness or the glasses they got didn’t really do the trick. Probably the former.