Encouraging Civ IV Preview

There’s a nice, lengthy Civ IV preview up over at Apolyton. Man oh man, do all of the design changes sound sweet…

I’m involved in a lengthy article on Civ4 that will be out soon, so I can’t really say much yet. But I do want to say that when I first sat down to play it, I really didn’t care for a lot of the core design decisions. In fact, I hated some of them.

But within a week, I came to absolutely love all the stuff I hated. I can’t think of another game coming out this holiday that I’m more eager to spend more time with.

-Tom

So, you can have a city with Christians, Jews and Muslims in it that will be very happy because they live together in peace!

Well DAMN. There goes any realism or immersion. Can we get some rivet counter historical accuracy types up in this piece before they put an instant-win “Kumbayah” tech in the tech tree?

Actually all the stuff in that preview sounds pretty cool. Except Wonder movies. Really, who gives a shit? I know I, like everybody else, will be impatiently skipping them after the first time. FMV always makes me a little sad. Think of all the wasted time and money… and for what? For nothin’. All those poor kids, dead forever. All because of some rich man’s war. I tell ya, it’s a damn shame.

The religions kinda remind me of the “ethos” system they promised in MoO3 and then took out at the last minute because it sucked.

Taking the focus off frantic expansion is good. I just hope they really have done a lot to tame the workers/improvements thing. I have had way more than enough of constructing vital rail lines square by square – DOES THIS GAME HAVE THE WORD “TYCOON” IN IT, SOLDIER? DOES IT? SIR NO SIR! So I’d really rather just tell some civil engineer to build me a goddamn railroad from Bapedi to Tokyo, because goddammit, it’s only ten squares away, and the economy and general morale are going to be in the fucking shitter unless the deliveries of the latest Waita Uziga opus are fucking PROMPT. Oh, and it’s vital for the military too.

Really as long as I can name my cities complicated obscenities it’s all good. Hey, I wonder if I can name my Great Citizens…

Hmmm, duck and cover when Farty McShitpants discovers the internet.

Yeah, its looking very promising! Looks like they managed to keep the Civ feeling, but streamline everything for faster gameplay, riddled with interesting decisions to make! Can’t wait to play it.

www.civfanatics.com also has some great previews out.

Well if the civ fansites have spoken and sid’s biggest fan has given the thumbs up how can I doubt the quality of this game?

edited to remove poor redundant verbage.

Why is that unrealistic? In muslim enlightend times it was reality. Best example for this is the city cordoba in spain (of course before the requonquista)

So, you can have a city with Christians, Jews and Muslims in it that will be very happy because they live together in peace!

When you’ve discovered the Liberalism tech, you can implement a civic called ‘Free Religion’. Only civs with Free Religion get a happiness bonus for multiple religions in a city.

The other religious civics can build multiple temples with multiple religions, but otherwise there’s no innate benefit to have Jews, Christians, Muslims, Taoists, etc living together.

I just hope they really have done a lot to tame the workers/improvements thing.

If by ‘tame’ you mean ‘made it a lot more prominent’, then, yes, they’ve ‘tamed’ the workers/improvements thing. I hated the new system. Until I got a chance to really play around with it. Now I love it.

-Tom

The only change that worries me is the loss of shields when someone beats you to a Wonder, as this might lead to a save-and-reload temptation that I’ll find hard to resist. I guess it can work if you can get enough information to be reasonably sure whether you’ll win the race before you start it.

I wasn’t sure after the disaster of CIV III that I was going to bother with this, but reading that preview has had me switching from “ooo good” and “urg bad” enough to be intruiged. And most of the “bad” stuff has been counteracted by later sections of that preview. Plus it looks pretty sweet as well.

Finally, as many of you are already likely aware, Wonder movies are making their return in CivIV

Yes. One of my favourite parts of Civ II, for some of them at least, were the wonder movies. United Nations and Manhatten project stick out particularly as good ones.

I’ve been playing this for a month or so, now, and love it to bits. It’s my favourite game so far this year. I’m not really a hardcore Civ nut though, so I may be missing some brutally myopic fault that’s going to offend the community for years to come.

One small sidenote. I /so/ want this on the PSP. With wireless multiplayer.

I agree. It would be excellent.

Don’t forget to preorder for the spiral-bound manual and tech-tree foldout. 8)

This is one game I’d have to postpone, the semester is starting in a couple of weeks, and I know this game could end my academic career.

I’ll try it after my midterms

What have we come to when getting proper bound manual and a nice big tech tree for a Civ game requires you to freaking pre-order. :(

I think that’s the fourth sign that the End Times are upon us. Right after “Rain of Toads” and just before “Midnight Son Shuts the Hell Up.”

Comforting, in a way, since that will never happen.

What have we come to when getting proper bound manual and a nice big tech tree for a Civ game requires you to freaking pre-order. :([/quote]

I agree about the foldouts which were always a nice bonus in the Old Days but how many games had spiral-bound manuals? Fallout is the only one that I recall. No Civ ever did, anyway.

Longbow 2 had a spiral manual, as did Baldur’s Gate II, and Neverwinter Nights, and Icewind Dale. Civ 2 had that glued manual with the odd dimensions, Alpha Centauri had a glued manual but it was a more sensible size. I can’t think of any others.

I thought I read somewhere that they did away with defense values. Say it ain’t so :(