End of WoW beta

Back on topic – during the customary End Of The World event, they’ve spawned high-level Infernals and Dreadlords that are running around the cities one-hitting everyone. Some are clearly robots, while others seem to be run by humans. Resistance in either case is futile.

Doesn’t this seem rather silly? Wouldn’t it be more fun for everyone if these things were level 30 or 40 or so, so people could actually have a reason to band together?

Then again, from looking at general chat in all the zones that I just traveled through, one-hit-killing all these idiots sounds like lots of fun… for the GMs. After all, the spawn rate on PCs is high.

If they gave players a chance to ‘win’, what would that effect? Beta is still ending… might as well make it final and have all the players dead as well.

The entrance to Ironforge on the PvP server was a foot deep in the bodies of the fallen. The cathedral in Stormwind was pretty bad too.

But we took all the El Pollo Grandes they could throw at us.

Twas pretty fun. Helped to take down a few infernals and demons at the end in the Barrens while attacking the Horde. Watched a few folks get turned into chickens.

I logged on at IF at the door to the bank, and seconds later I saw some gal log on 15 yards in front of me, in the middle of a huge corpse pile.

She says, “What happened here?” Then an Infernal came up behind her and one-hitted her. I guess now she knows.

Obviously the players couldn’t “win” but it would have been enjoyable to have been able to make a last stand at the gates to the city and work together to take them down over and over. As it was, it was pretty pointless. Once you were targeted, you were dead – oh yeah, these killer mobs had +40% movment speed. At least.

Seemed pretty pointless, but I suppose playing a MMOG is pointless in the first place.

A few of the infernals and the like actually got brought down. Some of the members of my guild managed to kill at least one, maybe two. Didn’t hear of that happening anywhere else – at least, on our server.

Well, this was at the crossroads with around 20-35 folks, a few lvl 30 and up types and there wasnt too much trouble taking the infernals down.

I guess it didnt happen on my server, or at least not in a big way. I played from 8pm est (servers went down for like an hour) till they shut them down for the end of the beta. I was near stormwind and westfall, no infernals.

I don’t think the lag will be as bad in retail. There were 500,000 people in open beta, and I have heard that they’re going to start shipments comparatively small and keep supplying retailers at a rate the servers can handle.

For example, there may be 250-300K sent out in that first shipment, then maybe another 50K each week through the end of the year. I’m just spitballing on the numbers, but you get the idea.

Mr. Kahn, care to comment?

Meaning pre-order if you want a copy, I guess.

I didnt pre-order this, I better not be screwed! Ill be very upset this thanksgiving weekend if dont get a copy.

BTW does anyone know what non-combat pets do and how the level? I decided throw some money away near the and and get a kitty. It was level 1 and I wondered why it had any levels. THen I saw a gnome with a level 16 squirril pet. I gained a level with my kitty, but it stayed level 1. Any idea what mechnics are at work here?

I dont know the mechanics behind non-combat pet levels, but I do know they never actively do anything for you or get better. There were a couple of high level quest reward pets that gave your party passive bonuses when summoned though. +nature resist for the spider and +stealth detect for the warg pup.

olaf

The pets you buy just follow you. They are window dressing, nothing more.

Yeah, but nothing beats a miniature Diablo following you around as your loyal, albeit useless, servant. :?

Heh - yeah, I want that tiny Diablo.

On a vaguely related subject, anyone know if hunters/warlocks can have their class pets & their social pets active at the same time?

Somehow I never got around to seeing if my mechanical squirrel could coexist with whatever hunter pet I was using at the moment.

Yes, you can! Because Blizzard loves you.

Engineers get temporary pets. I had three active at once one time – a battle chicken, a mechanical dragonling, and a mechanical harvester.