Endgame, part 2

MSNBC is reporting that Saddam and his two sons are possibly dead

Just like they did on the first night of the war? yawn

Call me when we have a body.

I’ll be interested to see what comes of this. CNN is also reporting the US demolished a building where Saddam and his two sons were thought to be meeting.

It wasn’t just “a building,” it was a restaurant.

Wonder if anyone else was there. Or if Hussein was even there.

We supposedly are “roaming the streets of Baghdad at will.” If so, why couldn’t we have checked the place out on the ground as opposed to dropping four huge bombs on a restaurant?

It wasn’t just “a building,” it was a restaurant.

Wonder if anyone else was there. Or if Hussein was even there.

We supposedly are “roaming the streets of Baghdad at will.” If so, why couldn’t we have checked the place out on the ground as opposed to dropping four huge bombs on a restaurant?

Mabye we should have made a reservation?

How do you know we didn’t check the place out on the ground? Often dropping four huge bombs is the best way to kill bad guys without putting our forces at great risk. Besides, you really think when Saddam and his sons go out to eat the resturant is full of other patrons? Are we presuming this resturant was even open?, cause that seems doubtful to me.

Do these bunker buster bombs qualify as weapons of mass destruction? My guess is they’re deadlier than the chemical weapons Iraq has that we can’t seem to find.

Just to allay Guest’s fears, if we know that “…the regime leaders were discussing how to get out of the city and they were standing within 4-6 meters of each other at the time of the strike.” then I think it’s fair to say that the US forces did check the place out. If not on the ground, then with advanced enough technology that renders actual eyes-on, “Your drink Mr. Hussein”, ground intel relatively dangerous and unnecessary.

Despite the FoxNews link, there are other reports that the intelligence was very reliable. From MSNBC, “The information was considered so reliable that it justified a massive attack in a residential area despite the administration’s emphasis on avoiding civilian casualties, the U.S. sources said.” From the New York Times, " One official said the intelligence, which appeared to be based on the report of an individual, was confirmed by other sources." From the Washington Times, “A U.S. military official told The Washington Times that the allies bombed the al Saa restaurant block at 3 p.m. Baghdad time yesterday on information from a “sensitive intelligence source.”” From the AP, “The U.S. official said the Pentagon was confident that Saddam and his sons were in the building before it was bombed. “Our intelligence was solid,” the official said.”

Remember, in a slight bit of seeming hypocracy, we are allowed to have WMD, it’s just Iraq (and maybe North Korea and a few others) that we don’t want to have them.

In a story that got very little air, some US commanders were discussing possible responses to Iraqi WMD attack, and one of the options was to open up our arsenal of NBC weapons (although I think the N was a very distant possibility.)

Actually they go 10 to 20 feet into the ground before exploding to minimize collateral damage. Chemical/Biological weapons released randomly are not quite so discriminating.

As long as there is enough to identify. It wouldnt do to claim that the gibs splattered for 4 city blockes are Saddam.

Just look for the smoking mustache.

Remember, in a slight bit of seeming hypocracy, we are allowed to have WMD, it’s just Iraq (and maybe North Korea and a few others) that we don’t want to have them.

In another slight bit of seeming hypocrisy, the police are allowed to carry guns.

Absolutely. I said “seeming hypocrisy” (thanks for the spelling help!) because it seemed that Mark was all aflutter over hypocrisy that we are using weapons that might be classified as WMD.

didn’t the decapitation attack earlier on supposedly kill him (well, the british didn’t think so, but what do they know?)

i mean, sure, it could all be a ruse to get him out in the open so the yanks can have another go at him, but still.

… in reply to the “aren’t we roaming the streets of baghdad at will” post, the americans are roaming at will on one side of the river - the other side is still held by the iraqis.