Endless Legend - Fantasy 4X TBS from Endless Space devs

Plan for them! Typically the 20% science or +3 dust per pop will be the first plan you get early. But later there are some very powerful ones. Influence is an important resource. The cost increases per city, so it’s really important to plan - a very simple expansion plan is once every 20 turns, just after selecting the empire plan.

The converted villages are lost - they have to be put to the sword to free them from the Cult. It won’t make pacified villages mad.

Not the only way, but the primary one (I think quests is the only other way). Heroes are great, but expensive. You want them as early as possible, one for each city at best. But like all things in EL, you typically don’t have enough resources for everything. The investment can sometimes be better spent on units or buildings, or buying a luxury from the market, or whatever. It just depends what heroes are available, what you need/want, and how much dust you can produce versus other things.

Thanks for the input, gang.

I don’t know how far I will get, or if I will get bogged down in the later game as I usually do, but enjoying my time with it early on.

I will say I’m reading a lot of reports regarding bugs - specifically movement, quests, and something to do with the global effects of fortresses. Nothing too bad, but disappointing.

Amplitude seem pretty fast with hotfixes so I’d expect something soon.

So does this game have a “game over” screen? I tried my damned hardest to ‘officially’ lose the game after I got stomped on by the AI - I gave away all my cities but one, then I “Salted the Earth” then suicided my settler on a roaming army. The game then threw an exception and then happily let me press “end turn” even though I had absolutely nothing left on the map.

I also encountered a diplomacy bug - the Forgotten AI player was happy to give away all his techs and anything else in exchange for just one of my technologies!

It does! With a few tabs of info!

Finally got into this game… wish they could have redid the UI, this was the BIGGEST barrier to entry for me with this game. Plus the color scheme on the map and the art, while generally nice, looked and felt sloppy/messy, until you play it awhile these issues go away as you get used to it all. Otherwise, it takes at least 100 turns of playing more than one faction to GET the feel and pace of the game. After that its really good. I love how the empire focus can be BIG gamechangers. The last tier turned my losing game to a win as i finally got a few guardian units (holy crap they are good with 2500+hp). I like the factions as well, the best implement of npc citys in a 4x game. I’ve played like 4 factions so far, and I love how they all feel different and some have very big gamechanging aspects (ie broken lords using dust for almost everything).

I played this heavily over the holidays and am seriously hooked. It’s a great game.

New to 4X and just started playing this last night. It’s been gathering dust /snort/ since I picked up the Amplitude Endless Pack ages ago.

Only got through the tutorial last night so just started a fresh campaign with pretty much everything set to normal. I bought all the DLC the other day and have gone for the Wild Walkers for a first punt. I love the Endless UI and art direction; it’s so clean and refreshing, contrary to what @mtkafka said above!

My only other 4X experiences have been… Age of Wonders 3, some Civ V multiplayer and… AI War, I guess. I really enjoyed Age of Wonders 3 but didn’t want to sideline this for much longer so figured I’d check it out now. I’m a Dungeon of the Endless veteran so this should be quite interesting as far as Auriga, its races and resources go.

I’ve played this game for only 3 hours (mainly the tutorial and reading stuff within the game), but purchased the latest expansion during its most recent sale. So I’m planning on replaying the tutorial and actually playing a SP game this time before something else distracts me!

I would actually encourage disabling some of the expansions (the big ones - Tempest particularly) before launching into learning the game. There is a lot to figure out, and I think it will be a bit overwhelming all at once.

Ah okay, will look into it, thanks!

So I played some 20+ turns last night. Really enjoying it. It’s weird to say, but it kind of reminds me of Reus in the sense that I’ve got all these unusual resources on my patch of land and I’ve got to work out which technologies will synergise with them properly to maximise my yield so I can keep climbing the tech tree and building more stuff, all before a timed event comes (winter in this case). I love that there’s a winter, and it reminds me why I miss seasons in these kinds of games; it’s something to fear and try and prepare for.

I’m sure this aspect is essentially the same as a lot of other 4X games, but it seems a lot clearer and more satisfying to me here, whether that’s as a result of the game design itself and the elegant UI; the familiar food, industry, science and dust resources; my limited experience with Civ V and Age of Wonders 3; or, I suspect, a combination of all these things. Either way, it’s really clicking. Some tough decision making too, which I’m always a fan of.

I also lost track of time last night while playing it, which… is rare for me.

Winter is very interesting. Early on it’s a real pain - often the first winter I want my slowest units back in the main city (garrisoned units cost less to maintain and provide experience to any hero in the city), because they just can’t do anything during the winter and are vulnerable to more winter-suited troops ambushing them. You also want to time certain improvements to finish at the end of winter or early spring to get the most use out of them, as they stop during winter.

With the Shifters expansion, later winters can be an opportunity. Some of the buildings (Ice Works in particular, but also Winter Boroughs) provide massive advantages during winter or can only be built during that season. Pearls - required to access these benefits of winter - also spawn during the winter, and you want to be hoovering them up as fast as possible (though without costing yourself too much dust via army maintenance costs).

Yeah I encountered my first winter and noticed those pearls. What’s funny is that they emit a piercing high frequency whine that drove me to collect them after spending a while trying to work out where the noise was coming from (honestly, I was worried it was winter ambiance). You can hear this through the fog of war too, I think, so that gives you some clues as to where they are. Still, by that point I didn’t have many units moving around. Summer came back just as I’d researched dust dredgers which was good timing.

How do I offset expansion disapproval?

You outpace it with Approval. There’s a tech or two in each era that allows for construction of buildings that provide approval, as well as one tech that reduces expansion disapproval a bit, IIRC.

Other than that, I know there’s a class/race of hero that can add approval as a governor and you can also boost approval through the consumption of various Luxury resources (things like Dye, Emeralds, etc). You activate those on the Empire screen.

Ah, so it’s just something you have to use science and boosters to offset. I wondered if there was something I was missing. Cheers!

There are a few ways.

1. Science to build approval improvements (Sewer System in era 1, for instance).
  2. Science for expansion disapproval reduction (Eras 3 and 5 I think?). Expansion disapproval is from more cities.
  3. Anomalies on the map sometimes have approval bonuses.
  4. Certain buildings placed on the map can lower approval (borough streets) or increase it (Museum of Auriga). Leveling up those buildings (particularly borough streets) will often increase approval. So you want tight, compact cities unless you have a good reason (e.g. reaching the coast or an important tile).
  5. One of the later tier empire plans has an increase in approval.
  6. Luxuries (these should be strategically timed, and you will need more for every city you own). Wine is by far the most effective at pure approval. A nice trick is to spend these before expanding to minimise the cost and maximise the benefit.
  7. Some heroes have approval bonuses or expansion disapproval reduction when acting as a governor.

Late game you will have plenty of approval - but it’s a real constraint early.

Since your last post I’ve been running my cities at Fervent, or FERVENT because Endless Legend loves its block caps.

Anyway, god, I keep losing track of time on this. I finally GET the ‘one more turn’ thing.

91 turns in and things are getting heavy now, in a good way.

I had a trade agreement going with this nearby faction but I don’t fully understand trade yet so it never came to anything. Things were good with her until another faction, the ‘Morgawr’ (I decided to go in with all the DLC turned on), started stirring stuff up.

I’m sure we were in a state of cold war and it put some sort of cursed ‘Black Spot’ on my faction which means my lands have been a free for all, with no diplomatic repercussions for other factions attacking my units on my turf. The only way of removing it is asking and that costs me influence and there’s nothing to say it won’t throw another at me. I also noticed Morgawr was pillaging (and razing?) nearby minor factions and was poking around my territory, by land and sea.

Anyway, I spotted some pearls on its patch so I sent some shamans over to grab them quick and a turn later it wasn’t pleased and closed its borders. I didn’t close mine at first but warned it, just in case I decided to. It dismissed me so I closed them.

A few turns later one of my pacified minor factions dissented and I lost assimilation of them which in turn caused a quest to fail. I wondered what had caused this and it turns out the Morgawr have ‘Seeds of Dissent’ that they plant to cause all kinds of trouble from afar. Bastards.

I then spotted a Morgawr army approaching and it was on its way to pillage this same minor faction village, and despite me closing my borders too. I raised as strong an army as I could and attacked before I lost the village for good. We prevailed with minimal losses but it was enough to sever the diplomatic ties with my trading neighbour.

I think we’re all on the brink of war now so I’m redirecting all my resources to try and take out Morgawr’s nearby regions before it fucks me over royally. Hopefully I’ve kept some sort of pace with my enemies because the diplomacy screen says they’re unafraid/dismissive of me. One is jealous of my global standing so I’m obviously doing something right.

Anyway, I’m really digging it. I’ve got more to say but I’ll leave that for another time.

Love reading stories like that, geggis. Glad you’re enjoying the game!

I find the 90 turn mark about when things start to take off (or if they aren’t, you’re in trouble). All that sci-fi technology starts to accelerate your fantasy industrial revolution into something a bit crazy.

In order to establish trade routes, you need Right of Way improvements in two contiguous regions (they can be another player’s). This produces roads in the region to all neighbouring cities (friend and foe). Cargo Docks serve a similar purpose for ocean trade.

To trade with the cities of another empire, you need to be at peace. A high level Roving Clans hero perk lets a governed city trade with enemy cities.

You start with one trade route in each city (two in the capital), but you can add extra ones in various ways. The game automatically picks the most profitable trade routes to assign, and I believe your cities can’t pick the same city multiple times. The profit is based on distance and population, though I’m not clear on the numbers. You get a bit of science, as well as dust.

These numbers can be huge, particularly for sea trade and even more so for the Roving Clans. Big empires want roads anyway, but the bonuses from trade can be incredibly lucrative. You typically have to pay a considerable bribe to the AI to get them willing to open their borders to trade though (or be at war with a common enemy, perhaps).