Endless Space 2

Those notes appear to be everything they’ve ever done since beta, not just the latest patch. I’m basing that on some of the comments and the fact that my saves still work despite what it says in the notes.

Thanks @abrandt.

The political system is hard to wrap my head around. It’s hard to judge the ramifications of doing certain actions.

Bugs bugs bus. I don’t think the science victory functions correctly, and one of the Sophon faction quests appears broken.

Also, what the hell do I do with all these resources? I have tons and tons of strategic resources, and most luxury resources are useless - you can pick one or two to use as System Improvements, but that leaves the vast majority as irrelevant. What to do with them?

Sell them on the market place or use them to attract minor faction population.

That seems like a step back when compared to Endless Legend luxuries.

[quote=“Fifth_Fret, post:303, topic:77211, full:true”]Also, what the hell do I do with all these resources? I have tons and tons of strategic resources, and most luxury resources are useless - you can pick one or two to use as System Improvements, but that leaves the vast majority as irrelevant. What to do with them?
[/quote]

Luxuries are used to upgrade your systems. They’re also useful for diplomacy. And, as was mentioned, selling them is a significant source of income. You’ll see from the marketplace activity that the AI is certainly taking advantage of that option.

-Tom

EDIT: I’m livestreaming this now!

You might already know this, but the Cravers take a huge production drop in all areas as their planets deplete. So if you can hold them off for a while, they’ll get weaker over time.

Also, if you take their planets, you’ll notice a “depleted” modifier. Don’t be alarmed! That just means they stopped getting their resource bonus. The planet is its normal self for you.

-Tom

I believe the difficulty levels are based on what resource bonus the enemy gets, with normal being no bonus. So it’s up to you. Also, you can skip a battle and just click past it like any other alert screen. The space pr0n is entirely informational and cosmetic.

-Tom

w00t for that, anyway :)

That stream was great especially since it provided a good example of the strategic game.

Amen. As you can see from the rebinding screen, there are precious few hotkeys. Why can’t it be more like GalCiv 3, where you can tab through pretty much everything?

What do you mean “characteristics”? Each bar for a resource represents 1 to 3 points of base production (you won’t know the actual base production of a planet until you colonize it). Generally hot planets are good for industry, cold planets are good for science, fertile planets (fish icon) are good for food, sterile planets (fishbones icon) are good for dust. Size determines maximum population, which can be raised by leveling up the planet with the options that unlock at rings 3, 4, and 5 of the economy and trade tech. Any anomalies, strategic resources, or luxury resources are tooltipped.

Everything is tooltipped. Different types of populations are affected with different strengths by different actions. It’s mostly intuitive, but the tooltips on the population details, for instance, explain exactly what actions boost which faction’s standing. Which is indicated on the system screen under “system representation”. Furthermore, lots of actions tell you what faction they’ll boost. For instance, every tech indicates which faction it boosts.

-Tom

By characteristics I meant the different attributes of a planet: Type, Climate, Size, Biodiversity.

I didn’t know if each part of the FIDSI of a planet was based on the combination of type, climate and biodiversity - or if biodiversity was the sole driver of the food output, industry by climate, etc… It looks like each planet type may have some type of norm that gets modified by climate and biodiversity.

I think I get the basics of the political system. Like building military ships increases support for the militant party. How does that translate into system representatives, and what does that affect? I know that the parties in the senate affect what laws are available. How does the makeup of parties in the senate affect the happiness of individual systems? I’m pretty sure that if for some reason a particular system was heavy on science, but the senate didn’t have much science representation, that system would probably be less happy. I just didn’t find the explanations that clear.

I didn’t even know it was possible for someone’s Steam friend list to be full D:

I’m pretty absorbed in this game! I’m playing as the marvelous Riftborn faction. I won’t spoil anything, but there was one cool bit of flavor text early on that really scratched my sci-fi itch. :)

One question: do support modules like Hyperium Engines stack? I know the movement speed stacks, but does the 10% evasion bonus stack too? I’m guessing yes, but I don’t see the evasion bonus reflected in the ship stats, so I’m not sure.

Are we not friends on Steam? Pm me your profile, I’ll dump someone I don’t or barely know and friend you.

The RPS review was glowing, and left me worried.

Endless Legend was very front loaded imho in terms of coolness, and seemingly distinct and amazing factions, none of which mattered because each game was a tedious slog, and there just wasn’t much fundamentally of interest to do. YMMV ofcourse, but this guy expressed my thoughts well.

My question, and it’s probably too early to ask, is what is it like past the 50 hr mark?

A somewhat arbitrary number I know, but in my experience, strategy games, especially turnbased 4xs, need time to get over the good/bad first impressions, and for you to dig into the game.

I mean, with Dominions 4, if you played it for an hr you’d run away, not a very welcoming game.

EL makes a great first impression.

Guess which game I’d return to?

System representatives are created by your actions! Each population type has “sensitivity” to different actions. This will then determine how the system breaks down among the factions, which you can see on the system screen. That’s how you know how they’ll vote.

As for the happiness of a system, the tooltip breaks it down for you! You’ll see that factions aren’t a significant determinant of happiness. There’s a small boost for a system aligning with the ruling faction or not, but it’s pretty negligible in my experience. I guess it might be an issue if, say, you’re a dictator forcing militant rule on a bunch of pacifists.

Excellent question. Wish I knew the answer, but unfortunately, some of the ships stats are too under the hood for my liking.

-Tom

I don’t get most of the population stuff.

I get like… population upgrades or something? They basically do nothing most of the time? Okay? Why?

Any examples?

Do you mean the thresholds for having a certain number of a population? Population collection? The first upgrade doesn’t seem to make much sense, but as near as I can tell, it just boosts that population’s “sensitivity” to faction events. Basically, their effectiveness snowballs? Later population thresholds have a more noticeable effect. For instance, the Unfallen maxxed out:

Love that influence boost! Unfortunately, I have no idea what “ownership recovery” means. There are a couple of frustrating places like this where the game throws out some term that’s completely unexplained.

-Tom